Does green tea actually aid in weight loss?

Options
Hi,
I've been drinking green tea for a few months now (NOT for weight loss, for trying to conceive) but i came across loads of stories where people have started drinking it and it's helped them loose weight... so is this true, anyone drinking it for weight loss and noticed it helps? :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    NO
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Theoretically, if one had absolutely no tolerance for caffeine, it's stimulant effect could provide a pretty mild boost. And by pretty mild, given it's low concentration, I mean you'll likely need a laboratory setting to tell the difference.
  • laurenperrone656
    laurenperrone656 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to help boost your metabolism an is a very healthy drink but it will not just help you drop pounds like that however Like i said it is proven that People who drank at least 3 cups during the day lost at least 11% more fat in a year
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No, maybe drinking it helps you feel fuller kind of like drinking water does but that's the only way I would think it would help. Nothing magical about green tea unfortunately :smile:
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    YES!

But not for the metabolism reason.

If you're subbing out calorie-heavy drinks for green tea, then YES!

If you're using it as a flavor ingredient in favor of things that are higher in calories (like in smoothies or yogurt), then YES!

Mostly I drink it cause I like taste, will throw green tea powder into a water bottle if it's hot out, or drink a tea tumbler of hot green tea in the winter instead of reaching for something sugary.

So yeah, it can help in weight loss, just not for some magical woo-woo "science" reasons.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to help boost your metabolism an is a very healthy drink but it will not just help you drop pounds like that however Like i said it is proven that People who drank at least 3 cups during the day lost at least 11% more fat in a year

If it is prove, where is the study you are referencing?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Green tea to help you conceive? :o I have never heard of that.

Same here..:no_mouth:
  • Glitterwinds
    Glitterwinds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I believe I read it does help, but the amount of green tea you would need to be drinking is unreasonable. If you were going to go the green tea route, I would take a concentrated green tea pill and watch the ingredients. Lots of bad diet meds out there that like to advertise green tea. I really am pretty clueless, so don't listen to me without doing research. Good luck!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    So, you have been drinking it for a few months? Have you seen weightloss without changing anything else?

It will not help unless it also helps you to create a calorie defecit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You learn something new every day. I thought you had to have sex to conceive :o

There is no linkage between tea drinking and weight loss. If you drink tea instead of eating too much, you lose weight. If you drink tea and eat too much, you don't lose weight. If you don't drink tea, and don't eat too much, you lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...green tea is awesome...but it doesn't have magical fat burning or metabolism boosting properties. I've been drinking green tea since I don't know when...still packed on 50 Lbs.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're really curious about this, you can look for the studies and read up on it yourself. Most of them haven't shown much. There have been some studies that show a very, very slight increase in metabolism (the oft cited 4% from a 1999 study - or about 50-100 extra calories a day). But that's within the margin of error for most people. It's not a noticeable difference.

If you want to drink green tea, go for it. But the weight loss effects have been overhyped by media articles or a misunderstanding of the science involved. A calorie deficit and moving more are still your best bet.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear it can help you conceive? I find that really hard to believe especially since caffeine is not reccomended for those who are pregnant.