Does green tea actually aid in weight loss?

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Caffeine helps decrease my appetite, so i'll have coffee mid-afternoon before dinner to keep my mind off of snacks, but that's the only logical conclusion I can come up with as to how green tea could possibly help you lose weight.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    I drink it because I like it. No weight loss until I reduced my calorie intake.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    How does it help you conceive? Adding alcohol to any drink can help you conceive, too...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Green tea to help you conceive? :o I have never heard of that.

Wouldn't that be contradictory - helps you get pregnant and lose weight? I would think the pregnant part would increase your weight....
  • AshleighAnn72
    AshleighAnn72 Posts: 83 Member

Lol its supposed to help your eggs mature faster if your having problems with realising poor eggs :) personally I think it works for that, may have been a coincidence but i really think was the tea.
  • AshleighAnn72
    For the people who's wondering why it's good for fertility here's a link...

http://www.conceiveeasy.com/get-pregnant/benefits-of-green-tea-for-increasing-fertility/

This wasn't a post on ttc..but apparently it's changed. I much prefer natural remedies to medication.
    For the people who are taking the piss - if you had fertility problems you'd try anything..right? So I am.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey, if you believe it helps you conceive, it probably will. Placebo is a wonderful thing and fertility is very highly psychologically influenced (and who knows, there could be something physiological there, but I'd be surprised if it was that significant). I'm seriously not mocking this, anything that helps, helps.

If the weight loss effect is supposed to be due to caffeine, it won't persist, as caffeine is notorious for adaptation - drink a cup a day for a week and you'll be back to where you were when you started, only now you'll need to drink two cups a day to get the buzz back. Plus there's not much caffeine in there. I'm the most decaffeinated person I know, I get jittery drinking regular tea, and Starbucks hot chocolate sends me off the deep end. Green tea doesn't have a noticeable effect on me at all.
  • CommitSudoku
    CommitSudoku Posts: 28 Member
    Ever since I started drinking green tea and oolong, it's helped me for going to the restroom. So I believe it helps in metabolizing, but there will never be something out there that magically drops pounds for you. It's relaxing and a little more exciting than water at times lol.
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    I believe I've read before that green tea can mess with folic acid levels, lowering them or messing with absorption, which can cause issues in a growing fetus.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    For the people who's wondering why it's good for fertility here's a link...

http://www.conceiveeasy.com/get-pregnant/benefits-of-green-tea-for-increasing-fertility/

This wasn't a post on ttc..but apparently it's changed. I much prefer natural remedies to medication.
    For the people who are taking the piss - if you had fertility problems you'd try anything..right? So I am.

Why would people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on fertility treatments if it was as simple as drinking green tea?

Fertility treatments are one of the last resorts. Not defending green tea as a conception aid, but couples usually try everything they can think of before moving on to the more expensive options.
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2016
    I've actually taken green tea in a capsule pill form. It claimed to be a "fat burner" but I believe the only two ingredients were caffeine and green tea. I took the recommended dosage for a couple weeks at a time, then stopped for a while, then took them again. I consistently lost 1 lb per week on and off the green tea pill. So I don't believe it helped me lose weight. What I DO like about it though is the caffeine in them because I hate drinking tea and coffee. I took one this morning before work because I was tired. Now I only take them when I need energy, not because I think they help me burn fat. Lemon water also gives me a boost of energy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    bAKApANDII wrote: »
    Ever since I started drinking green tea and oolong, it's helped me for going to the restroom. So I believe it helps in metabolizing, but there will never be something out there that magically drops pounds for you. It's relaxing and a little more exciting than water at times lol.

Digestion and metabolism are not the same thing. Metabolism and going to the bathroom aren't connected.
  • AshleighAnn72
    I buy caffeine free tea.. momoftwins - doctor has put me on high dose of folic acid, so pretty sure the green tea won't affect it levels that much. Plus I take folic acid before sleep and only drink tea in the morning.
    Elphine754 - i do not need fertility treatment because I can get pregnant and have been, i just loose them before 10 weeks. But I do not ovulate every month so I'm trying to get my body to, eg the green tea is supposed to help mature the egg so it can be fertalized.
    Ok thanks :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    For conception you need a 6 pack of Natty Light. Not green tea. You're doing it wrong :neutral:

For real tequila shots work for me. :p
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member

Wouldn't that be contradictory - helps you get pregnant and lose weight? I would think the pregnant part would increase your weight....

HA! One would think that and for the average person it does...but I have 2 sister in laws that actually lose weight when they get pregnant (and yes, obviously they were over weight to begin with)
  • robbinwilliams91
    robbinwilliams91 Posts: 1 Member

People with heart and kidney problems, stomach ulcers, psychological issues, or who are pregnant or breastfeeding should limit or avoid tea. And talk to your doctor about drinking green tea if you are taking any of these medications due to possible interactions: Adenosine, Antibiotics, Beta-lactam, Benzodiazepines, Beta-blockers, Propranolol, Metoprolol, Blood Thinning Medications (including Aspirin), Chemotherapy, Clozapine. Ephedrine, Lithium, Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, Oral Contraceptives or Phenylpropanolamine.