Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yay for d&d! My name is my old WoW raiding character name, although I haven't played for quite a few years now.

Yesterday's bento: marinated chicken pieces with veg, umeboshi and rice. Today's isn't picture worthy being leftover pasta with a sprinkle of feta.
    e2u0ecso5jta.jpeg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Chinese leftovers and edamame
    vq8bn0cgq30w.jpg
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Made some homemade sushi last Friday....

Smoked salmon & cream cheese rolls with a marinated egg and salad!

fdqk61d4qjn4.jpeg
  • aleryan1
    aleryan1 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I didn't mean to take so long to post a pic of my bento. I have pork and vegetables potstickers, ponzu sauce, 3 dates, spinach walnut salad with French dressing, teriyaki chicken, and a piece of sharp white cheddar. I won't be able to make another till next week as my kids are on summer vacation and they ate all my yummy stuff. Lol.

IMG_20160629_221022_zpswfra8sq6.jpg

Here's a picture of my bento put together.

IMG_20160629_221240_zpswlghzbvd.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Chicken, couscous, mixed veggies, and mixed fruit
    bnbysmnlyt3o.jpg
  • aleryan1
    aleryan1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going grocery shopping todaytoday and I hope to go to the asian grocery this weekendweekend. Any recommendations for my bento?
  • Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of bento boxes that I occasionally use for work. I like putting them together as much as eating them. I feel like a little kid for some reason.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tbls. of Peanut Butter and sliced apple works. Baby carrots and hummus works too. string cheese, hard boiled eggs, olives, grapes, muffin, egg muffin, cooked collard greens or spinach. zucchini strips with celery sticks. I have found a lot of small packaged items that are clean eating, no sugar, low sodium and none of those extra preservatives.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I took the dog dish and feed bag references to mean do whatever motivates you to keep going. I will! And these packed lunches are gorgeous. They could win America's Top Lunch Models.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    aleryan1 wrote: »
    I'm going grocery shopping todaytoday and I hope to go to the asian grocery this weekendweekend. Any recommendations for my bento?

I'd say anything that can sit around until lunch without needing refrigeration. I like blanched veggies, edamame, hard boiled eggs, fruits, dumplings, etc. My last trip to the asian grocery resulted in a bunch of new foods to try and I mostly had to look up how to use some of the foods.
    derekmcc1 wrote: »
    I have a couple of bento boxes that I occasionally use for work. I like putting them together as much as eating them. I feel like a little kid for some reason.

Me too! Although that may be the Hello Kitty bento box talking >.>
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Today's snack bento & lunch bento. Snack box has pretzels and the nasty-est chunk of brie known to man (did not eat it!), egg shaped egg and carrots. I eat one tier per snack. Lunch box is edamame, broccoli, rice w/ furikake and pork/black mushroom dumplings. Kind of a heavy lunch, but for some reason, I've been starving lately.

bcv1fnk0zwk4.jpg
    hokcn2jnjsw2.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Today's snack bento & lunch bento. Snack box has pretzels and the nasty-est chunk of brie known to man (did not eat it!), egg shaped egg and carrots. I eat one tier per snack. Lunch box is edamame, broccoli, rice w/ furikake and pork/black mushroom dumplings. Kind of a heavy lunch, but for some reason, I've been starving lately.

An egg shaped egg? Blasphemous!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Wednesday bento: meatballs in tonkatsu sauce with veg (cabbage, carrot, Brussel sprouts and red capsicum) in a bit of chilli and soy, and rice with a really nice tuna mayo furikake and an umeboshi. 515 Cals.
    9t7kcs6grfyb.jpeg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

An egg shaped egg? Blasphemous!

I know, I know, husband already gave me a hard time! You're going to see them all week.
    k8gntfsqidmq.jpg

Here was today's very green bento. Shrimp, edamame, rice w/ furikake & broccoli. I've noticed that many of my lunches tend to be monochromatic. I guess I just like green stuff?

sm4kq2p0ujti.jpg

• mangrothian
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This was meant to be Thursday's bento, but it became Friday's instead. Oven baked fish bites, veg (cabbage, carrot, broccoli, capsicum) and rice with furikake and an umeboshi
    j79p6zmm677y.jpeg
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Boring snack lunch bento. On Fridays husband always wants to eat big, and I have no self control, so I eat light for lunch. You see here two eggs, pretzels and laughing cow cheese and a chocolate panda cookie. 353 cals total.
    zchm2g49wbv3.jpg
  • hula_gal
    hula_gal Posts: 3 Member
    Options

"This is my first bento box. On the bottom is mixed field greens and deviled eggs. On the side of that is a lite ginger salad dressing and pumpkin seed. Above that a tomato and cucumber salad. Last but not least green beans, beets and Japanese purple sweet potato. What do you guys think?"

I love the idea of putting deviled eggs on top of salad greens!
  • hula_gal
    hula_gal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I did not have to make lunches for my children everyday I would make bentos for myself. I use Planetbox lunch boxes for my children which are bento style and have separate inserts you can buy to further separate food. It has completely changed how my children eat and they eat all of their lunch now.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

This is my first bento box. On the bottom is mixed field greens and deviled eggs. On the side of that is a lite ginger salad dressing and pumpkin seed. Above that a tomato and cucumber salad. Last but not least green beans, beets and Japanese purple sweet potato. What do you guys think?

Looks great! So...gotta ask. What's a purple sweet potato? Does it taste different than an orange one?