UK pals - Bread advice

Options

Replies

• becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread using a breadmaker too. I think the quality is much better than shop bought, although the lack of preservatives means it doesn't last very long!
  • Gettingbettereveryday
    Gettingbettereveryday Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In Tesco's the other week I found Warburtons sandwich thins - they're basically two small slices of very thin bread - imagine ironing a slice and cuttiing the crusts off! Each thin comes to 100 calories. It would be good if they did a wholemeal variety but they were OK - I bought a pack and froze individual thins so when I want to take a sandwich for packed lunch all I have to do is take them out.
    On the other hand do you ever use leftovers for lunch? Rice, pasta, beans etc - you don't necessarily have to use bread every day....
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hovis - Original Wheatgerm Bread!
    soo good!
  • LindsayD2011
    LindsayD2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Food Doctor do a great pita which is 157 calories. It has lots of seeds and grains in it and is really tasty. I buy it in Morrisons, I rarely find it in Sainsbury's and I'm not sure about Tesco. I agree with previous poster though about cutting the bread down on the odd day. Think how many more things you can eat for 200 ish calories if you go for another carb like veggies and have extra protein. Good luck!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread using a breadmaker too. I think the quality is much better than shop bought, although the lack of preservatives means it doesn't last very long!
    Mine lasts over a week. But its a seeded multigrain mix of 5 flours, so dont know if that makes a difference. Delicious, though 120 cal for a big slice.
    If you look at ww bread its got exactly the same cals per 100g as any other bread. its just smaller slices. Get an unsliced wholemeal and slice it thinly and you'll be much better off.
  • daveymck
    daveymck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal Pitta's are good, one pitta is 135 cals and I tend to fill it with a load of salad and a slice of ham and it doesn't come to more than 200 cals :)

The Co-op are doing buy 1 get one free on their wholemeal packs at the minute so is really good value as well.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    It's really difficult to find a *healthy* bread that's also low in calories. The closest balance I've found is Morrisons Stoneground Wholemeal, which is about 83 calories per slice. They're full-size slices, too! :smile:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Also, try an 'open' sandwich. It's just like a sandwich but without the top layer of bread (which you don't really need).
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've become quite hooked on bread with oats in it. Hovis do a Hearty Oats bread which comes out at 109 cals and 1.9g fat per slice...it's very good :-))
  • Bulletproof_Helen
    Bulletproof_Helen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My favourite is sandwich Burgen soya and linseed bread with chicken breast and a side salad
  • kateminx
    kateminx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    weightwatchers (warburtons) malted danish or grained bread, its delicious and low in calories.

Definately! Love the grained bread - the danish is a bit like chewing cardboard :laugh:
  • Northantsman
    Options
    Avoiding factory bread might be a good idea. In order to make the yeast work harder it has extra sugar in it so that it doesn't spend so long proving before it gets baked. You might try finding a craft bakery where the bread is left for the right amount of time without any added sugar and then you get the full benefit of the cereal content without the refined carbs.

Richard
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My mate works in the warburtons factory, and the weight watchers bread they make is exactly the same as their normal bread expect the size. I like the Warburtons Thins and their Square Wraps.

Thats very interesting - and very cheeky of them! but somehow i'm not all that surprised!!
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    May sound a bit strange but I sometimes use romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread or a wrap. They're a good shape and size for filling and wrapping and are much lower in carbs and calories.

Me too - I'm the original Carb Addict but I read about this before on MFP and have tried it. Its a great alternative on your "I can do this" days. Although when I "need" bread, I have 1 x 40g thick slice of Greggs Wholemeal bread (about 100cals) on the days when its ...err....more of a challenge!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I buy Hovis Wheatgerm in 400g loaf, I think it is around 50 odd cals per slice. And 66p per loaf - so cheaper than the rest (I am so tight I squeak when I walk)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just buy texco or morrisons and M & S ownn brand wholemeal bread and got about 85cal per slice. I dont like white bread so would rather just have this.x
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I find the problem with low calorie breads is that they're not terribly satisfying. I've more or less given up on lunchtime sandwiches - they just don't do the job for me anymore.

So, I take in stuff in tupperware. Salads. Grilled quorn. Little bags of nuts (1 ounce per bag). I make things like bulgur wheat salad, which is so tasty and very filling. Or when I make soup, I freeze a few portions and take that in to stick in the microwave.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My favourite is sandwich Burgen soya and linseed bread with chicken breast and a side salad

Oh yeah. If I'm having bread, this is the bread for me. Vogels (I think that's the right brand name) do a really nice one too. But I like them toasted.

Hmmmm. Feeling the need for toast now. Argh!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've given up on sandwiches too - the low calorie breads taste like cotton wool, and I'd rather have the odd slice of really good bread than a daily dose of tasteless.

I keep a bag of Hovis wholemeal in the freezer - it toasts fine from frozen for breakfast once or twice a week. But lunch is soup or salad these days - I dont really miss the sandwiches and wraps, I make sure i get penty of protein snacks in between times to keep me full.