To weigh or not to weigh ......everyday!

Options
Day 4 begins..... I have been weighing myself everyday and obviously the weight is fluctuating minimally with no weight loss yet. Of course it is early days yet. I do know that experts have contradictory opinions, some advicing weighing once every 2 weeks and otherwise suggesting that people weigh themselves daily. While I try to determine what is right for me, I would appreciate hearing from you. Do you weigh yourself daily and what impact does it have on your weight loss goals.

Replies

• xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I was crazy on losing I would weigh myself everyday. Sometimes up to 4 times to get an idea on how I was going after everything but this time around I haven't. I want to feel like I'm losing first before I start weighing. Atm I feel weight shifting but I'm putting off actually jumping on the scale.

I do like weighing myself and hate it at the same time. When you see the numbers drop you get real excited. But when you see a slight change upwards or nothing at all you can't help but think "what have I done wrong? What am I doing?" And sometimes you're not doing anything wrong at all. It's just your body.

I have found I strive harder when I weigh though.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I do it so I can see the fluctuations and make little tweaks as I need them. It also helps me control my binges better. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time. I only record my weight once a week usually on a Sunday.

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh daily prior to getting dressed each morning...since November 2015. Recently I hid the scale so now I weigh once a week. I loved the fluctuations of the weight. I am maintaining my weight now and I do not want the stress of seeing the weight fluctuations each morning.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to note trends, but I only show MFP the weekly number. I turn off my newsfeed setting during the week so people aren't being spammed by my weigh ins and then turn it on on Friday to announce that weigh in.
  • SonaliDeuskar
    SonaliDeuskar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh that's a good idea. Maybe I will weigh myself everyday but enter in the data to MFP only once a week!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I track it daily to keep me more accountable to myself. In the past when I weighed weekly if it happened to fall on a heavy day I would get really discouraged. It's really personal preference.
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to only weigh myself weekly.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. When I used to weigh in once a week, I placed so much emphasis on that one day that it would really discourage me if it didn't go down. Now it's part of my daily routine and the fluctuations don't get to me. So long as the overall trend is going the direction I want it to, that's all that matters.

And agree with @MissTattoo - if you decide to weigh daily, disable the setting in your newsfeed except for the day you want it to show. Took me a bit to figure that out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    It's up to you...it doesn't really matter...ultimately you want to look at the trend over time, not the actual numbers themselves.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning and put it in a excel document (idea i got from someone on here, can't remember who) to track the fluctuation and see what factors may be causing big fluctuations. So far, I notice that I can have up to a 5-7 pound flux twice a month. Once during ovulation, once right before that TOM.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily every morning and I love it. My TOM has always been ALL over the place, so weighing every day gives me advanced notice when it's about to show up. I know if I wake up and gain 3 - 5lbs it's either starting that day or very soon, and of course after it's over the 5lbs disappears. Other than that it's a nice indicator of how food is impacting my body and how well I'm progressing overall.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted, I have always been able to lose the weight....but maintaining "never" ....so my DH as well as successful friends have advised " you need to weigh everyday" .....that gives you the information you need about what you body is doing.
    One friend's advice is to weigh every morning and every night, he said it guides his intake for that day.

Thinking ultimately, you'll decide what is best for you, for now weighing daily (skipping the off day infrequently) is for me.

Good Luck
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day. I know that in the past I have obsessed over the numbers but now I simply like being able to see how different foods or changes in exercise effect my weight. I track it every day but only enable it to show up on my news feed once or twice a week.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day and I keep a record of it in a spreadsheet with a graph. Most people say not to, but I like to be able to recognize when there is an upwards trend and address it then instead of waiting a week. It's worked out reallyw ell for me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It takes all of a minute to step on the scale and enter the number. If it was an hours long process that involved lots of pain and sweat, that would be a good reason not to do it often, but, really, that's not the case.

If you're just starting out, it's probably a good idea to start working on good habits.

People who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off weigh themselves at least once a week, on average. Lots of studies have shown this. When the weight starts creeping back up, they do something about it, it's how they avoid gaining it all back. If you're in this for the long haul and to succeed, it seems like a very good idea to have and use the tools you need to accomplish that.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I do it so I can see the fluctuations and make little tweaks as I need them. It also helps me control my binges better. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time. I only record my weight once a week usually on a Sunday.

This is what I do as well.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily and record that # number the exercise notes. I log it in MFP once a week (Thursdays).
  • Beav73
    Beav73 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would only weigh once per week..I always weigh on Wednesday
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday but this is because I would get upset with the different day to day loss or gain. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is the answer.
  • purplemoonpie
    purplemoonpie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself obsessively during weight loss...I'm talking like 2 times a day...I would get SO frustrated and discouraged by the changing numbers. My scale died and I kept forgetting to get a new one....about two months later I finally bought one and was shocked at the weight I had lost....so for me, it's best to measure my progress by what old clothes are starting to fit again