No dairy & weight loss?

Options
I have cut out any dairy besides Greek yogurt which I'm trying to cut too, I just love it as a great protein source. My last thing was my beloved lite cheese sticks which I finished :(
I'm trying to do no dairy because I heard dairy is not natural for people to even eat.. I know "I heard" is a dumb thing is weight loss but do any of you guys avoid dairy? Do you find any benefits from it, even outside of weight loss?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some people claim they have clearer skin or less bloating from avoiding dairy. I personally haven't found positive or negative effects to eating or excluding dairy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would only recommend cutting out dairy if you have acne, lactose intolerance, or an allergy. Otherwise you should be perfectly fine and see no positive benefits.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    no dairy has improved my husband and sons health a great deal. I consume very little.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of dairy. I love cheese and raw milk. The milk seems to alleviate my allergies. I also think the whole "only baby cows should drink milk" mantra is complete and utter nonsense.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    Dairy is absolutely fine to consume unless you have sensitivities/intolerance to it...

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss. No need to cut any foods out unless you have a medical condition or some other issue like bloating/acne. Cutting foods out doesn't automatically result in weight loss; weighing your foods with a food scale, sticking to your calories and logging accurately does.

If you like it, don't cut it out. I haven't cut out anything, including treats.... 90lbs down.

Ditto this. Even the 90lbs down. Well 89, but close enough ;)
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I drink milk every day, and have Greek yogurt almost every day, cheese occasionally, not much butter. I love milk, and dairy is a good source of protein and calcium. I'm 89 pounds down.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Dairy is such an easy source of calcium. I'm allergic so I struggle to get in enough calcium. If you don't have to cut it out of your diet, then don't. Keep enjoying it.

As for dieting, it's all a calorie game. I've gained weight and I've lost weight being non-dairy. It makes no nevermind for weight loss.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat dairy pretty much every day. Mainly Greek yogurt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    As an ovo-lacto veg, I get a significant fraction of my current 100g daily protein goal from dairy, including Greek yogurt (the live culture ones are especially good for a gal), milk, cheese, and more. Eating dairy didn't prevent my losing 60+ pounds in less than a year, and reaching my goal weight. My Northern European ancestors have been eating this kind of stuff for many generations, AFAIK, and seem to have lived at least long enough to breed.

If you feel better when you don't eat dairy, or it otherwise has observable negative health effects for you, it would probably be good to eliminate it. Otherwise, why bother?

Yes, some people say it's bad for you. Personally, I've found the research I checked out to be unconvincing when stacked against the evidence of generations of my healthy peasant ancestors. YMMV.

(unfair snippage of intelligent, on-point commentary in quoted post, to pick out this:)

"Natural" is not a useful concept for determining what is good to eat.

If it were, no one would ever eat an Oreo. ;)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I cut out dairy several years ago to see if my eczema would improve. It didn't. Cutting it out didn't make me feel better and reintroducing it didn't cause any symptoms either (I was secretly extremely glad that dairy wasn't the culprit, even though it meant I still had to live with the eczema). When I went LCHF to lose weight after my third child, I lost about 50 lbs while eating plenty of full fat dairy products. And much to my surprise, my eczema went away! Not sure if I was finally getting enough saturated fat and cholesterol, or if I am just sensitive to grains, but I'll take it!

If you don't want to eliminate dairy, it certainly isn't necessary. If you have so,proms of lactose intolerance or a dairy sensitivity/allergy, you can try eliminating it (give it at least six weeks, and read labels closely - dairy is in a LOT of packaged foods you wouldn't necessarily expect it to show up in) and see if you notice improvement. Just beware the placebo effect.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat dairy, gluten, soy and all legumes and I am 60 pounds overweight. Cutting out dairy will not help you lose weight. Cutting calories will.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Dairy is an excellent source of protein, especially in the morning [it gives a healthy dose of calcium too and has relatively low calorie/fat options]. The only reason to avoid it is if you have an allergy or have to keep your phosphate comsumption low.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything humans do today isn't "natural", why stop at giving up dairy? Why not give up using cars, electricity, clothes and only eat food that you grow/kill yourself?

In all seriousness, unless you're lactose intolerant, don't like dairy or have a moral objection to milk & milk products - there are no reasons to give it up.
  • KateKoennecke48
    KateKoennecke48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't give up dairy period!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love ALL dairy, it is probably the one thing i would truly struggle to give up.

On the weight loss front, i have read a fair few posts of people claiming dairy stalls their weight loss and when they give it up or reduce it their weight loss starts up again (without changing or reducing their calories), but i have yet to read a solid reason of why..
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No difference for me with losing weight. Feel fine with or without eating dairy. Lose weight with or without dairy. Just need a caloric deficit.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love ALL dairy, it is probably the one thing i would truly struggle to give up.

On the weight loss front, i have read a fair few posts of people claiming dairy stalls their weight loss and when they give it up or reduce it their weight loss starts up again (without changing or reducing their calories), but i have yet to read a solid reason of why..

Years and years ago a Weight Watchers leader made a big deal about a study where women who consumed dairy lost more effectively. It's been long enough I don't remember the why behind it. And she could have been pulling info out of her hiney lol!