Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No! We pay enough taxes.
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Isn't candy already taxable? Could have sworn I payed tax on my candy bar the last time I purchased one....but not all candy is junk food either....what about Dark Chocolate? Sweetened drinks, why sweetened? Would that include sweet tea, lemonade, milk, chocolate milk? ----Can't find any redeeming quality about chips except they are yummy...lol

That's what I was thinking - "junk food" is already taxed.

No junk food is taxed like any other food like lettuce, apples, etc in most states. I'd assume the op is talking about something more than the regular sales tax.

When I go shopping my whole food is not taxed because it is a necessity i.e. Veggies fruits meats canned items. Food like chips, sodas, candies and pre made deli items have a sales tax placed on them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Isn't candy already taxable? Could have sworn I payed tax on my candy bar the last time I purchased one....but not all candy is junk food either....what about Dark Chocolate? Sweetened drinks, why sweetened? Would that include sweet tea, lemonade, milk, chocolate milk? ----Can't find any redeeming quality about chips except they are yummy...lol

No junk food is taxed like any other food like lettuce, apples, etc in most states. I'd assume the op is talking about something more than the regular sales tax.

When I go shopping my whole food is not taxed because it is a necessity i.e. Veggies fruits meats canned items. Food like chips, sodas, candies and pre made deli items have a sales tax placed on them.

That was kind of my point with the whole thing. This is already handled on a state-by-state and locale-by-locale basis. If people in their states, cities and towns want to tax people's eating habits, let them put up pols who will do so. There's no need for this kind of thing at the federal level.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

It varies by state and local governmental unit. Illinois has a 1% sales tax on most food items sold at grocery stores vs. a higher rate on restaurant meals, clothing, hardware, electronics, cars, etc.
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2016
    Options

That was kind of my point with the whole thing. This is already handled on a state-by-state and locale-by-locale basis. If people in their states, cities and towns want to tax people's eating habits, let them put up pols who will do so. There's no need for this kind of thing at the federal level.

There are already federal excise taxes that apply to sales of certain items in all states. Alcohol and gasoline/diesel fuel, phone services are some common ones. A Federal excise tax on certain foods would in not be a precedent.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

There are already federal excise taxes that apply to sales of certain items in all states. Alcohol and gasoline/diesel fuel, phone services are some common ones. A Federal excise tax on certain foods would in not be a precedent.

I am aware. And like most Federal taxes, they are invisible to people, unless they actually go looking for the rates. At least with most state sales/sin taxes, there's some kind of point of purchase reference made. The entire spirit of this idea would be completely destroyed, if no one were actually able to tell what is taxed and what isn't, given the extremely hazy nature of the very phrase "junk food".
    All fuel (except dyed off-road diesel): clear and concise.
    All alcohol: clear.
    All tobacco: clear.
    All telecomm: clear.
    All "junk food": erm...what the hell was junk food again?
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I am aware. And like most Federal taxes, they are invisible to people, unless they actually go looking for the rates. At least with most state sales/sin taxes, there's some kind of point of purchase reference made. The entire spirit of this idea would be completely destroyed, if no one were actually able to tell what is taxed and what isn't, given the extremely hazy nature of the very phrase "junk food".

From one of my earlier posts, I would say you label items on the shelve, similar to what most stores to with WIC eligible items and I would propose something like this for a store receipt

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Federal "junk food" Tax 0.50
    State/Local Sales Tax .10
    Total $1.59

I would highlight the "junk food" tax in some manner for educational purposes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

From one of my earlier posts, I would say you label items on the shelve, similar to what most stores to with WIC eligible items and I would propose something like this for a store receipt

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

Right but defining what should be considered "junk food" is the tricky part. You've mentioned Cola, ok, what about Diet Coke? What food products would be subjected to the tax.

I don't think the dispute is about if the tax should be explicit on the receipt, but that the very act of narrowing down the scope of what should be taxed would be extremely difficult to gain consensus.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The answer is no. Its really about control...some in the govt want more and more control over you/us. If you like that idea you are crazy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

Right but defining what should be considered "junk food" is the tricky part. You've mentioned Cola, ok, what about Diet Coke? What food products would be subjected to the tax.

I don't think the dispute is about if the tax should be explicit on the receipt, but that the very act of narrowing down the scope of what should be taxed would be extremely difficult impossible to gain consensus.

FIFY
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

I don't think the dispute is about if the tax should be explicit on the receipt, but that the very act of narrowing down the scope of what should be taxed would be extremely difficult to gain consensus.

This is one reason -- along with actual practicalities, like whether it could get passed -- that I think anyone in favor of such a tax should focus on localities or at least states. Let one place try a soda and sugary drink tax (including diet soda); let another try an "added sugar" tax (once the labels allow for it); let still another try an empty calorie tax or packaged goods tax based on whatever floats their boat. Then compare results.

My sales taxes are already sky high and while this wouldn't affect me much, and while my locality is in desperate need of money, I don't see it getting passed because of the regressive nature of it. But I don't really care if people want to try it.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

The WHO and CDC have specifically linked foods and drinks with added sugars to obesity and illnesses related to obesity. May be a good place to start.

In the US, we have been able to specifically identify foods that meet certain requirements for the WIC program eligibility. It's not an impossible task.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    The answer is no. Its really about control...some in the govt want more and more control over you/us. If you like that idea you are crazy.

Do you enjoy paying higher taxes to pay healthcare costs related to people eating and drinking themselves sick?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Didn't read this whole thread because 28 pages.

Personally would support a tax on foods with added sugars. Pretty easy to define that. Suggested it on a liberal site years ago and was generally shouted down. Said tax money should be earmarked for subsidizing whole foods and nutrition education IMO.

Right now our agriculture program subsidizes corn and soy which is basically subsidizing junk food. So if we can't make the healthy food more affordable I guess we could push for dropping the subsidies for the junk, though that would just mean higher food prices across the board which wouldn't help the people who need better nutrition the most.

Lots of articles about the subsidy issue...grabbed one:

huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/government-subsidies-junk-food_n_3600046.html

• WinoGelato
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

This is one reason -- along with actual practicalities, like whether it could get passed -- that I think anyone in favor of such a tax should focus on localities or at least states. Let one place try a soda and sugary drink tax (including diet soda); let another try an "added sugar" tax (once the labels allow for it); let still another try an empty calorie tax or packaged goods tax based on whatever floats their boat. Then compare results.

My sales taxes are already sky high and while this wouldn't affect me much, and while my locality is in desperate need of money, I don't see it getting passed because of the regressive nature of it. But I don't really care if people want to try it.

I meant to comment on this up thread but then got distracted by something... ;)

I wholeheartedly support the idea of small scale, localized testing with concrete baseline data to measure the impact of any proposed changes and minimize the noise. If the policy change is too widespread it will be difficult to pinpoint the actual root cause of any impact. I still think it is going to be difficult to quantify as there are too many external factors to control and the results would be generated in the long term, it's not like you put this tax in place and immediately there will be a marked decrease in the rates of obesity, pre diabetes, etc...

• WinoGelato
    Options

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

The WHO and CDC have specifically linked foods and drinks with added sugars to obesity and illnesses related to obesity. May be a good place to start.

In the US, we have been able to specifically identify foods that meet certain requirements for the WIC program eligibility. It's not an impossible task.

Any added sugar? A percent of total calories as @lemurcat12 suggested earlier? So in that scenario, Diet Coke wouldn't be taxed but energy drinks would?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

Do you enjoy paying higher taxes to pay healthcare costs related to people eating and drinking themselves sick?

This is a completely irrelecant question. In case you hadn't noticed, the Feds are playing with Monopoly money, and our tax rate isn't going to decrease if we suddenly see a drop in obesity. They'll just find something else that needs "urgent funding and attention".
  • beauarmstrong75
    beauarmstrong75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Exactly. The government would love to be our solutions provider on everything. However, our government was designed to be limited, lean and out of the way.... and quite frankly our government was designed with the warning to the citizens to ***be ware of the power that we hand over to them.***
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hasn't the government taken away enough of our money and Liberty already???

Besides, why should I trust the same institution responsible for the bridge to nowhere to decide what I should and shouldn't eat?
    We gonna have federally employed nutritionists to decide our calorie and macro allotments and decide who should eat what so they can tax us based on individual health needs?

Of all the ill conceived ideas...

• lemurcat12
    Options

64 oz Cola $0.99
    Total $1.59

Because on average foods with lots of added sugar have lots of calories (but about half from fat, usually, except with stuff like soda, which is already on the decline) and not so many micronutrients or protein. It's ultimately about calories, not some specific quality of sugar, if you read the explanations.

I think it is worth looking at places that experiment with soda or added sugar taxes and seeing what the effect would be, but nothing in the WHO or CDC or US guidelines justifies singling out added sugar vs. other sources of calories on a federal level, especially since the recommendation has to do with percentage of calories (basically just another recommendation that low nutrient foods not make up a significant portion of your calories, as you are likely to eat too much if it is).

Also, practically, it's not getting passed on the federal level. Federal sales taxes are problematic too, as they interfere with what is usually a state and local way of raising money and therefore hurt states and localities. Better to let the locals or states figure out the approach they want to try.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Didn't read this whole thread because 28 pages.

Personally would support a tax on foods with added sugars. Pretty easy to define that. Suggested it on a liberal site years ago and was generally shouted down. Said tax money should be earmarked for subsidizing whole foods and nutrition education IMO.

Right now our agriculture program subsidizes corn and soy which is basically subsidizing junk food. So if we can't make the healthy food more affordable I guess we could push for dropping the subsidies for the junk, though that would just mean higher food prices across the board which wouldn't help the people who need better nutrition the most.

Lots of articles about the subsidy issue...grabbed one:

huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/government-subsidies-junk-food_n_3600046.html

This has already been brought up. (This is why reading the thread can be useful!)