Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

salt: yes or no

Options

Replies

• TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Last time I cut I monitored my salt so that I'd fall within the recommended daily intake of 1500mg.
    I got shredded, very vascular looking, but I consistently felt like hot garbage.

This cut I continued the same trend.

Did some various reading stating that these recommendations are geared towards the average sedentary individuals likely to also be overconsuming fats and sugars and generally eating at a surplus.

So I started permitting myself to average 5000mg.

And I feel great.
    My gym performances are terrific.

I did notice that my 8.6% bodyfat at 181lbs didn't look as good as my 8.9% bodyfat last year at 170lbs, but then again I'm not competing and I rather strike a balance between looking good and feeling good.

On that note I am very careful about what sort of salt I put in my body.
    When buying bacon or sausages I only get the stuff that has sea salt and avoid anything with the sodium nitrates or erythorbate and any of these lab created preservatives.
  • Sept111944
    Sept111944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Most foods have some sodium but if you are avoiding processed foods (canned or packaged) you may not be getting enough salt. People with high blood pressure are advised to lower sodium intake to 1500 mg. daily. That means no or limited processed foods, pizzas, chips, soft drinks, etc. And eating out almost guarantees an overdose of salt for that meal. With no health problems 2300 mg. is the maximum you should have. Many dinners at chain restaurants have over 3000mg.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Sept111944 wrote: »
    Most foods have some sodium but if you are avoiding processed foods (canned or packaged) you may not be getting enough salt. People with high blood pressure are advised to lower sodium intake to 1500 mg. daily. That means no or limited processed foods, pizzas, chips, soft drinks, etc. And eating out almost guarantees an overdose of salt for that meal. With no health problems 2300 mg. is the maximum you should have. Many dinners at chain restaurants have over 3000mg.

I make my own food at home, and take in 4-6000. All in the needs.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I'm probably running 3000 to 4000+ mg a day of sodium myself now. When I was on the 1500 mg a day limit it was extremely difficult because almost everything has sodium in it. However working out consistently and a banana a day cured my sodium issues. A couple kg of sweat a day does wonders for reducing excess sodium in the body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I am very close to you and i cook a lot and rarely use salt.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Same here. I rarely add salt to much of anything, other than adding it to my coffee if I am coming up short.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Same here. I rarely add salt to much of anything, other than adding it to my coffee if I am coming up short.

Wow.. salt in coffee.. if my wife is short, she salts bacon and sausage.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Wow.. salt in coffee.. if my wife is short, she salts bacon and sausage.

This made me think of a children's story:

digital.library.upenn.edu/women/hale/papers/salt.html

And for anyone interested, here's some background on the source of the story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peterkin_Papers

• BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My husband has BP problems. For convenience sake I followed the same guidelines at home and my BP dropped borderline too low. If you don't eat much processed food, you're not likely to need to restrict beyond that. Everyone needs some salt.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try to keep sodium low but I seem to have a pickle addiction.. (no pun intended)
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yes, i use little
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Salt is hard to avoid, unless you prepare everything from scratch. I don’t like salt personally, so I don't use it when I cook. I go over the recommended daily value every day. I was even on blood pressure meds. I have managed to keep it under control without meds for a while now.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Your body needs salt. You will have serious and painful, possibly deadly, consequences if you don't get enough.

This isn't true. We need to consume sodium, not salt. Salt is just one way to get sodium. If you eat a well balanced diet you likely don't need any added salt, but unless you've been advised to abstain by a physician there is nothing wrong with adding it for flavor if you want.

Well, the body needs chloride too... Mostly sodium is a highly reactive element and is usually found in compounds due to this. Pure sodium does not occur naturally due to it's single valence electron, But yeah no sodium is bad- unless you like neurological issues and being dizzy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Your body needs salt. You will have serious and painful, possibly deadly, consequences if you don't get enough.

This isn't true. We need to consume sodium, not salt. Salt is just one way to get sodium. If you eat a well balanced diet you likely don't need any added salt, but unless you've been advised to abstain by a physician there is nothing wrong with adding it for flavor if you want.

Well, the body needs chloride too... Mostly sodium is a highly reactive element and is usually found in compounds due to this. Pure sodium does not occur naturally due to it's single valence electron, But yeah no sodium is bad- unless you like neurological issues and being dizzy.

Or being dead, considering that with no Sodium, the voltage-gated channels in your body that are triggered by it, can't function. A lot of animal venoms target ion-channels for that very reason.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Salt is over-consumed and should be heavily taxed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot, mostly cycling, so I sweat a lot. I also have a taste for salty things and not really for sweet things. I can't drink apple juice because it's sickly, unpalatably sweet, but I can enjoy a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips or a savory Indian curry dish.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Yes, that's true that it's actually sodium that we need.

But we do need to get enough of it or there are consequences which can cause pain and even death.

I mentioned in a different thread, a family member of mine was suffering severe leg cramps and one time even passed out during one of those attacks. The doctor discovered that his sodium level was far too low and prescribed salt pills to correct it, and told him to start adding more salt to his food. His habit previously had been to eschew salt because he didn't want to consume too much, but he ended up with the opposite problem.

Is there a big difference between ingesting sodium and ingesting sodium chloride?

Put some straight sodium in your mouth and let me know how it works out for you.

No, seriously, don't.

I'll bite. What would happen?

;) Google it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Yes, you need salt. Without adequate sodium, you will get a goiter.

That's an iodine deficiency, and the reason why regular table salt is iodized. None of my four types of salt (grey, pink, red, and black) are iodized so I take kelp tablets, which are really cheap. If I'm not eating processed food or Asian food regularly, I don't get enough iodine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I tend towards low blood pressure and was dizzy when standing a lot when I was a kid and presumably eating less salt.

3 Signs You Might Have Low Blood Pressure

...1. Dizziness or lightheadedness, especially when standing up suddenly

You’re looking at the bottom row of books and you pop up to continue your search, and suddenly: whoa, head rush. This is the most common symptom of low blood pressure, and if it happens only occasionally, then it’s no big. Schwartz notes that this one can often get corrected by making sure you’re not dehydrated.

2. Brain fog, complete with crappy memory about things that just happened

Multitasking sucks for everyone (seriously, everyone), but if you’re usually on top of your to-do list and you suddenly start feeling foggy, it could be hypotension. You’ll feel disconnected or spaced out, and then your short-term memory gets glitchy. Fun!

3. Feeling super low energy, even when you’ve had enough sleep

You got your 8 hours, and your butt is still dragging. Even combatting it with venti-sized, multi-shot beverages only works temporarily. Low blood pressure can cause fatigue, and some experts have suggested that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and low blood pressure may be linked.

Less-common symptoms of low blood pressure might be blurred vision, general weakness, and nausea. Sometimes it can cause fainting, and rapid, shallow breathing, and has even been linked to depression, according to the American Heart Association.

The best treatment for low blood pressure is in your lifestyle—and on your kitchen counter.

Although high blood pressure is often addressed with medication, physicians are very reluctant to go that route with hypotension, Schwartz says. That’s because making some tweaks to your everyday habits can yield much better results than popping meds.

What works? The tried-and-true efforts that you may be doing anyway: trouncing stress with activities like yoga, getting enough sleep, ditching the smokes, staying hydrated, and maintaining a moderate-to-kickass level of fitness.

Also, stop being so stingy with the salt.

“Culturally, we have the mentality that salt isn’t good for you,” says Schwartz. “But we need it to maintain normal blood pressure and to support the adrenal system. Women, particularly, require salt because it helps address physical changes during their periods.”

Read more: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/3-signs-might-low-blood-pressure/
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I switched from table salt to Himalayan pink salt. I love a tiny pinch in my porridge!