Water

Options
13»

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    meganlc0 wrote: »
    I certainly don't advocate it, but I also don't think diet soda is nearly as bad as "they" claim it to be. At least not for me. I tend to drink between a half gallon and gallon of it per day, and have done so for most of a couple decades, ever since I learned I had diabetes. Before that, it was regular Pepsi, which I'm pretty sure contributed to the diabetes. If diet soda was so godawful, I should be dead by now

Have you ever experimented with NOT drinking any diet soda? Are you ever curious as to whether or not your overall health would be better (even marginally) without drinking so much of it?

I ask out of curiosity because my father stopped drinking his daily 2-liter (or 2) about a year ago and he swears it's made him feel better and that it's easier for him to lose weight without it.

I've completely quit soda multiple times. Once just because my friends told me I couldn't. Then again when I first joined MFP and didn't want to drink my calories and I didn't like diet soda. Both of those times I went from multiple regular sodas a day to zero. It has never made a very big difference to me at all. I missed it, but wasn't miserable without it, but I also didn't see any kind of improvement in giving it up. In the end, it's something I enjoy the taste of, and I see no purpose in depriving myself. Then I discovered Diet Dr Pepper, which actually is just as good as regular, unlike Diet Coke, which is gross. Now I have a diet soda a few times a week, just because that's how often I feel like it, and a regular soda maybe once a month. But if I wanted to drink diet soda every day, I wouldn't feel bad. It's not poison, and it's not going to stop me from reaching my goals.

To me, completely giving up soda all the time would be like completely giving up ice cream. Why? Why would I even bother if I don't have to? (BTW, I just had some chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. SO GOOD. Also not poison.)

kbmh611 wrote: »
    I'm surprised on here how many people advocate drinking diet soda over water sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I drink a lot of diet soda, but I've never had a doctor or dietician say drinking diet soda was better or just as good as drinking water. In fact they say the opposite. When I tell a doctor how much diet soda I drink and how little water I consume I immediately get the talk of how bad diet soda is and that I need to drink more water. I also read this in magazines and in talking to people who have "experted" weight loss and healthy living. So why do people on here think they know better than the experts? I'm not saying you can't lose weight if you drink pop because I have in the past, but its just not as good for you as water because they put extra stuff in pop that your body doesn't need. I'm trying to ween myself off of pop little by little and drink more water. I will never stop drinking it completely, but I've heard enough about the benefits of drinking water to know I should be drinking more of it. But I guess to each their own.

From the many, many posts I've read from soda drinkers, it's their way of justifying their soda addiction/love. Any blogs or articles that even dare mention the fact that diet/soda has any detrimental health effects are instantly shut down.
    People will vehemently disagree with me on this.. But i'm only putting out there how some of these posts come across.

I don't know why anyone needs to justify loving soda. It tastes good. It's not poison. If it fits into your health goals, and you want to drink it, why would you not? Demonizing certain foods (or drinks) as "bad" and "never consume this!" is not healthy.

You need to go back and read the hundreds of soda threads to see where I'm coming from.

I'd honestly say the same to you. I drink a couple of diet sodas every day and don't have any of the minor issues some people experience. I do drink water, but I don't see anything in the literature to cause any alarm over diet sodas whatsoever.

I edited my above post ...

It's the way people vehemently defend their soda addiction/love or whatever you want to call it that gets me, not to mention the many posts of "you can pry my soda out of my cold dead hands", I can not think of one food or drink that would make say that.

Fair enough. I think people tend get a bit hyper on here, but then again it's hard to judge tone and sarcasm at times. I have to say though I'm pretty bummed out about bacon and the processed meats thing. That's the one thing I've probably come the closest to tears over.

Please tell me you didn't give up bacon. That would make me cry, too.

I'm very aware of the potential cancer link, so I limit my consumption and especially limit the consumption by our daughters. I don't think it's anything to get too alarmed over given the safe dosage is such that it seems we can enjoy a bit at least once a week or so. In any event, it's never been something I ate every day.

My understanding is that you would have to eat huge amounts of processed meats every day for it to really be a concern. I eat 2 slices of bacon most mornings, which apparently increases the risk of colorectal cancer from 5% to all of 6%. On the other hand, the fact that my mother had breast cancer literally DOUBLES my risk of having it, from 1-in-8 to 1-in-4. BTW, the WHO also decided that all red meat is "probably carcinogenic." Processed meat is a group higher than that ("carcinogenic"), but so is alcohol and sunlight. The groupings aren't based on HOW MUCH something increases your risk of cancer, just HOW CERTAIN they are that it does. Even if only by a very tiny amount.

A pretty good article about it: http://www.wired.com/2015/10/who-does-bacon-cause-cancer-sort-of-but-not-really/

I've read the findings. I have two daughters who may carry the BRCA1 mutation due to its presence in the family. I know it's a different cancer, but I'd like to minimize risks there where we can. We keep their bacon consumption well below the threshold.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I find if you try to drink a little bit more each week eventually you get used to it and feel thirsty more often. At least that is what works for me.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

From the many, many posts I've read from soda drinkers, it's their way of justifying their soda addiction/love. Any blogs or articles that even dare mention the fact that diet/soda has any detrimental health effects are instantly shut down.
    People will vehemently disagree with me on this.. But i'm only putting out there how some of these posts come across.[/quote]

Yeah, people seem very defensive of their pop drinking. I didn't know it was an issue to get so up in arms about. I drink diet soda, but I know it's not the best thing for me to drink. Every doctor, nutritionist, trainers, etc will tell you to drink more water. And it's not a new concept. If people feel like they know more than doctors and scientists that's fine but as I said before I'm just shocked how many people on this board say that water is no better than soda and that "soda is mostly water" as if that makes it the same thing.
  • kbmh611
    Options
    nancy1465 wrote: »
    I actually dont drink more than 2 glasses of any liquid a day. I dislike coffee, tea or water. I like milk and juices and drink a Coke every other day. However since i started MFP a month ago I am forcing myself to drink water. My advice is to start slow like you are doing. One glass a day and then maybe add another glass a few days later and so on. You will get there. I am only at 5 or 6 glasses after a month. I can only drink water very cold. Good luck....it really helps with the weight loss

It really does help. I've been drinking a lot less pop than I used to and more water and I feel like it's helping to keep me on my diet and is cleansing me. I feel a lot better and more motivated
  • kbmh611
    Options
    meganlc0 wrote: »
    I certainly don't advocate it, but I also don't think diet soda is nearly as bad as "they" claim it to be. At least not for me. I tend to drink between a half gallon and gallon of it per day, and have done so for most of a couple decades, ever since I learned I had diabetes. Before that, it was regular Pepsi, which I'm pretty sure contributed to the diabetes. If diet soda was so godawful, I should be dead by now

Have you ever experimented with NOT drinking any diet soda? Are you ever curious as to whether or not your overall health would be better (even marginally) without drinking so much of it?

I ask out of curiosity because my father stopped drinking his daily 2-liter (or 2) about a year ago and he swears it's made him feel better and that it's easier for him to lose weight without it.

I've completely quit soda multiple times. Once just because my friends told me I couldn't. Then again when I first joined MFP and didn't want to drink my calories and I didn't like diet soda. Both of those times I went from multiple regular sodas a day to zero. It has never made a very big difference to me at all. I missed it, but wasn't miserable without it, but I also didn't see any kind of improvement in giving it up. In the end, it's something I enjoy the taste of, and I see no purpose in depriving myself. Then I discovered Diet Dr Pepper, which actually is just as good as regular, unlike Diet Coke, which is gross. Now I have a diet soda a few times a week, just because that's how often I feel like it, and a regular soda maybe once a month. But if I wanted to drink diet soda every day, I wouldn't feel bad. It's not poison, and it's not going to stop me from reaching my goals.

To me, completely giving up soda all the time would be like completely giving up ice cream. Why? Why would I even bother if I don't have to? (BTW, I just had some chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. SO GOOD. Also not poison.)

kbmh611 wrote: »
    I'm surprised on here how many people advocate drinking diet soda over water sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I drink a lot of diet soda, but I've never had a doctor or dietician say drinking diet soda was better or just as good as drinking water. In fact they say the opposite. When I tell a doctor how much diet soda I drink and how little water I consume I immediately get the talk of how bad diet soda is and that I need to drink more water. I also read this in magazines and in talking to people who have "experted" weight loss and healthy living. So why do people on here think they know better than the experts? I'm not saying you can't lose weight if you drink pop because I have in the past, but its just not as good for you as water because they put extra stuff in pop that your body doesn't need. I'm trying to ween myself off of pop little by little and drink more water. I will never stop drinking it completely, but I've heard enough about the benefits of drinking water to know I should be drinking more of it. But I guess to each their own.

People will vehemently disagree with me on this.. But i'm only putting out there how some of these posts come across.

I don't know why anyone needs to justify loving soda. It tastes good. It's not poison. If it fits into your health goals, and you want to drink it, why would you not? Demonizing certain foods (or drinks) as "bad" and "never consume this!" is not healthy.

But if it is bad for you, or is bad to eat in great quantities, then that is what it is. Doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it. But it's probably not the best for you depending on what a person's individual goals are. We all eat things that taste great to us (and sometimes in large quantities) but maybe are not the best choices, but it doesn't stop us. I think that's why most of us are here to begin with. I don't think anyone is demonizing anything. No one is saying "absolutely stop drinking pop."
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    mayburcm1 wrote: »
    Personally, after cutting out diet soda I find a glass of it now just makes me want sweet stuff like crazy when otherwise I don't crave it. Which makes me question its previous impact on my eating.

It may actually have that effect on me, but rather than eating sweets I just grab another diet soda. :)

• MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It's the way people vehemently defend their soda addiction/love or whatever you want to call it that gets me, not to mention the many posts of "you can pry my soda out of my cold dead hands", I can not think of one food or drink that would make say that.

I can think of a number of foods that would make me say that. Meat in general, bacon, dark chocolate...

One of the biggest challenges to my diet is that my wife won't join me in low-carbing. She won't give up her bread and pasta for anything.

• kellkee16
    kellkee16 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't buy sodas or anything like that anymore so its easy for me. Lol If dr.pepper makes it thru my doorway there's no guarantee I won't drink it. :P best to just not give myself a choice! Lol there's also those low cal mio stuffs you add to water to flavor it.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How do you encourage yourself to drink more water. I finally got my self drinking one water a day. I need to trick myself into drinking more. Also I have had caffeine withdrawal for 5 days w/out soda
    How do you encourage yourself to drink more water. I finally got my self drinking one water a day. I need to trick myself into drinking more. Also I have had caffeine withdrawal for 5 days w/out soda

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about drinking a predefined amount of water every day. If you plan a hard workout (or a workout in hot weather), drink a tall glass of water (16 oz or so) an hour before. Get in a glass of water or tea when waking up, drink water with meals and have a glass whenever you get thirsty. The tea could help with your caffeine withdrawal concerns.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

In all this hoopla i forgot to answer your question :blush: I add unsweetened cranberry juice or these little green tea berry sachets that I've found to my bottle of water. Plain water is just boring unless I'm really thirsty, add something to your water that is healthy and tastes good.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How did a water thread become a debate about diet soda?!? Smh