High fat low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• kauai56
    kauai56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started the keto diet! It's been quite the adjustment trying to increase fat intake and decreasing to 20g of carbs a day. Is anyone on the keto diet? How's it going ?
  • gnruggirello
    gnruggirello Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Balance. Its all and about balance.

Do not cut yourself short of the daily recommendations needed. Carbs give us the energy we need to stay strong minded and alert.

Stay away from bad carbs, and try not to exceed your daily intake amount.

You are beautiful, be patient, and kind to your body.

P.S. Following the food chart should help also. If you really do eat all the right serving sizes, you will realize its alot of food. (Not much time for junk when your eating what your body needs)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I just started keto today also. But I tested a keto stick and nothing is happening yet. How long does it take to kick in?
  • drewd421
    drewd421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It was about 48 hours for me... I'd give it 2-3 days
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Do not cut yourself short of the daily recommendations needed. Carbs give us the energy we need to stay strong minded and alert.

P.S. Following the food chart should help also. If you really do eat all the right serving sizes, you will realize its alot of food. (Not much time for junk when your eating what your body needs)

Fat also gives us the energy we need to stay strong minded and alert, and doesn't result in getting sleepy/hangry three hours later.

I did the whole "balanced" (funny how balanced almost always means carb-heavy... huh) USDA style diet most of my life. Was consistantly overweight, suffered low energy, reactive hypoglycemia, and moderate to severe eczema. Switched to a LCHF diet three years ago. The incessant hunger and cravings went away, as did 50 lbs and my eczema. Haven't had a hypo since and my energy and focus are on a more even keel.

I'm glad the high carb, low fat conventional advice works for you. It really is all about finding what you can do, and do for life. For many people carb restriction is a powerful tool.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 85 pounds on a high carb diet. My sekret has been eating fewer calories than I burn. Haven't been very hungry most of the time, my acid reflux went away completely, I have more energy, it's been fantastic. :smile:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I just started keto today also. But I tested a keto stick and nothing is happening yet. How long does it take to kick in?

Depends on how much glycogen you have stored. You have to use that up first before you will be using enough ketones for the sticks to reflect it.

Good luck to you Deb! I know you've been contemplating this change for a while now... I hope you see the results you are looking for! Did you join the low carb forum yet? Amazing group with lots of knowledgable ketophiles! Highly recommend.

• drewd421
    drewd421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started keto 6/1... I was in the worst shape of my life at 241lbs.... I've been consistent for the past 6 weeks, only cheating once to have some bread with my Jimmy Johns sandwich... Six weeks later, and I'm now at 214! 27 lbs in six weeks without a single workout! My goal is 175, so I'm starting the insanity workout program today to try and get into shape.. We'll see how it goes! All I can say though is that keto has worked wonders and I feel so much better!
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Fat also gives us the energy we need to stay strong minded and alert, and doesn't result in getting sleepy/hangry three hours later.

I did the whole "balanced" (funny how balanced almost always means carb-heavy... huh) USDA style diet most of my life. Was consistantly overweight, suffered low energy, reactive hypoglycemia, and moderate to severe eczema. Switched to a LCHF diet three years ago. The incessant hunger and cravings went away, as did 50 lbs and my eczema. Haven't had a hypo since and my energy and focus are on a more even keel.

I'm glad the high carb, low fat conventional advice works for you. It really is all about finding what you can do, and do for life. For many people carb restriction is a powerful tool.

I agree with you fully! I'm def not going Keto because it's too much hormonally for some women to put their bodies through. LCHF helped me lose 52 pounds and no cravings and I'm def not eating every 2 hours! Three meals a day and I'm good