Pokemon Go

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Decided to try it tonight. Wound up walking 5.2 miles in search of Pokemon.

It's a cute game, but it's still very glitchy. Half the time I tapped on something, nothing happened. Also it didn't help that there were like a zillion people out playing the same game and clogging up the servers. The further away I got from civilization, the better the game worked. Caught quite a few rats and birds, and found one fish in the stream by my apartment.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I have no interest in this game but I will say something.

Walking is a great exercise but please watch where you're going. Pay attention to what is going on around you, please.

buzzkill

Where I live we have rattlesnakes. Last thing I want is someone to be playing this, trying to catch something out on the trails, and get bitten. Or be out wandering and fall into a hole. Or get ran over.

The game sounds fun and I hope a lot of people enjoy it. I just hate seeing people get hurt.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, I just sent a delete request and made a new email. Luckily I have all my banking through a separate email.
  • alaine5377
    alaine5377 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BuffDaddyG wrote: »
    I tried to catch a Pokemon in the gym the other day and someone more than likely thought I was taking a picture of them. But I don't give a heck. I want to be the best there ever was.

I did that today, the trainer asked me if I was okay....must've looked like an idiot or something lmao!
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Still not out in the UK yet and I no bugger all after the basics about Pokemon but my youngest son loves it and is patiently waiting for it to be released here. I might get it as well then we can go out together looking for some...might drag the wife and and eldest out with us
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Walking is a great exercise but please watch where you're going. Pay attention to what is going on around you, please.

buzzkill

Where I live we have rattlesnakes. Last thing I want is someone to be playing this, trying to catch something out on the trails, and get bitten. Or be out wandering and fall into a hole. Or get ran over.

The game sounds fun and I hope a lot of people enjoy it. I just hate seeing people get hurt.

Sure hope people have fun, but, whatever people do, they need to be aware of their surroundings. If people have issues doing that, it's called thinning the herd.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

buzzkill

People do this without games.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Heads up for anyone with this installed or is thinking about it

http://www.popsci.com/pokemon-go-has-access-to-your-entire-google-account

Anyone who signed up for Pokémon GO with a Google account (the other option, a Pokémon.com account, is unavailable right now) has perhaps unknowingly given Nintendo and developer Niantic (formerly owned by Google, but still part of Google's investment portfolio) full account access. That means they can see/edit/collect just about anything related to your Google account. Emails, photos, documents, all of your past location and search history: it can see all of this stuff, from even before you started using the app. It can also send emails as you—kind of the number one, red flag, alarm bell hacker opportunity in the digital world, aside from banking.

It's a potentially disastrous security risk: just one hack or leak of user information would mean compromises in Google information for a group of people about as large as the number of active daily users for Twitter on Android.

Even if the data isn't hacked, these two companies are already getting access to (and the ability to edit) your info—pictures, emails, documents—basically everything they could ever want, except a few key abilities like using Google Wallet, changing your password, or deleting your account).

This is all true. And also why I created a new Gmail account just to play.

I knew this would bite them back in the butt lol. See, this is why I play the classic pokemon games (if/when I do play games).

Aren't you super cool. :sunglasses:
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I tried to catch a Pokemon in the gym the other day and someone more than likely thought I was taking a picture of them. But I don't give a heck. I want to be the best there ever was.

If you want to be the best there ever was put down the *kitten* phone and lift some weights or run on the readmill.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If you want to be the best there ever was put down the *kitten* phone and lift some weights or run on the readmill.

yeah, but... to catch them is my real test and to train them is my cause.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Love the idea, although the traffic around my office ensures a certain mortality if I tried catching them all.
    Lol, me too! Drivers hate pedestrians here, and they almost always run redlights. There is zero police presence in the downtown area.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

TNG_Wesley_TheGame.jpg

You Will Play The Game.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's great that this game has a lot of couch potatoes moving. However, I don't think it will solve the obesity problem, as one poster said. The reality is that walking is good exercise, but compared to other forms of exercise, relatively inefficient.

I know that this statement angers some people who really love walking. I also know that there are some articles online that declare that walking is "excellent exercise" or words to that effect. I'm not against walking; in fact, while nursing a knee injury, I did a 75-minute steep 4.1mph treadmill walk last night. It's totally worth doing, but its benefits are relatively small in comparison to more effective exercises.

Also, as a fellow obstacle racer pointed out, if people are stopping for fast food while they're out on their Poke-walks, that's not such a good thing. I think it's great that this game has got people moving, but it will only really help if this becomes a stepping stone toward more regular, more vigorous physical activity.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It's great that this game has a lot of couch potatoes moving. However, I don't think it will solve the obesity problem, as one poster said. The reality is that walking is good exercise, but compared to other forms of exercise, relatively inefficient.

I know that this statement angers some people who really love walking. I also know that there are some articles online that declare that walking is "excellent exercise" or words to that effect. I'm not against walking; in fact, while nursing a knee injury, I did a 75-minute steep 4.1mph treadmill walk last night. It's totally worth doing, but its benefits are relatively small in comparison to more effective exercises.

Also, as a fellow obstacle racer pointed out, if people are stopping for fast food while they're out on their Poke-walks, that's not such a good thing. I think it's great that this game has got people moving, but it will only really help if this becomes a stepping stone toward more regular, more vigorous physical activity.

It's a game. Games are meant for fun, not for solving the obesity crisis. Any activity is good anyway, so that's a small little bonus, and in fact NEAT has shown to be a better predictor of health than purposeful vigorous exercise. Not everyone has a goal to do vigorous physical activity, and even those who do are not necessarily thinner unless they also manage their weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    It's pretty amazing it's getting people exercising talking to people they don't know and exploring their cities.

I put down a lure and 7 other people came to the park I was at and we were sitting talking with each other catching pokemon. Also I walked 50,000 step between Saturday and Sunday.

The servers are a problem but hopefully we will get a patch early this week.

Be careful out there. Individuals are putting down lures and robbing people at gunpoint when they show up:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/07/10/four-suspects-arrested-string-pokemon-go-related-armed-robberies/86922474/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    or, just go outside and go for a walk and you know enjoy nature or some music....why do people need an app so they can be more addicted to walking around with their noses buried in their phones...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Be careful you don't have a surprise on your data charges next phone bill.

or the fact that it tracks all your data, or the fact that child predators are using it to lure little kids out,....
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It appears the Google access issue is only for iOS devices, something the article didn't make very clear. Android folks can breathe a little easier.

I started a few days after release, but have been enjoying the pants off of Pokemon Go and have met neat people and gone to new places in search of rare spawns. It is a motivational aid.

The nefarious lure use I've heard most about was predatory children (teen robbers), not preyers on children. Like anything else, we have to think twice before going to an isolated vulnerable place, ponder what data we're willing to share with a corporation, and monitor what our kids are doing. Quelle surprise.