Pokemon Go

Options
1235»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It's great that this game has a lot of couch potatoes moving. However, I don't think it will solve the obesity problem, as one poster said. The reality is that walking is good exercise, but compared to other forms of exercise, relatively inefficient.

I know that this statement angers some people who really love walking. I also know that there are some articles online that declare that walking is "excellent exercise" or words to that effect. I'm not against walking; in fact, while nursing a knee injury, I did a 75-minute steep 4.1mph treadmill walk last night. It's totally worth doing, but its benefits are relatively small in comparison to more effective exercises.

Also, as a fellow obstacle racer pointed out, if people are stopping for fast food while they're out on their Poke-walks, that's not such a good thing. I think it's great that this game has got people moving, but it will only really help if this becomes a stepping stone toward more regular, more vigorous physical activity.

It's a game. Games are meant for fun, not for solving the obesity crisis. Any activity is good anyway, so that's a small little bonus, and in fact NEAT has shown to be a better predictor of health than purposeful vigorous exercise. Not everyone has a goal to do vigorous physical activity, and even those who do are not necessarily thinner unless they also manage their weight.
    Not disagreeing with any of that. I just disagree with the notion that this is going to be great exercise for people, much less solve the obesity crisis. It's real benefit will be just as you described -- helping to raise one's baseline activity level slightly.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will solve the obesity crisis but as a guy who grew up playing Pokemon, I think it's a fun game.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    BuffDaddyG wrote: »
    I tried to catch a Pokemon in the gym the other day and someone more than likely thought I was taking a picture of them. But I don't give a heck. I want to be the best there ever was.

If you want to be the best there ever was put down the *kitten* phone and lift some weights or run on the readmill.

You salty because we get more gainz and more pokemonz then you. #brotrainer

^ Most likely has never touched human genitalia other than his own.

#gainzb4sex #pokemonzb4sex #h8ersgonna8
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I tried to catch a Pokemon in the gym the other day and someone more than likely thought I was taking a picture of them. But I don't give a heck. I want to be the best there ever was.

If you want to be the best there ever was put down the *kitten* phone and lift some weights or run on the readmill.

I'll bet you griped about your kids playing Pokemon on their gameboys 20 years ago, too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I'll bet you griped about your kids playing Pokemon on their gameboys 20 years ago, too.

Not at all. Pretty harmless activity for pre-teens.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been walking and running around playing this game with my heart rate monitor on. Burned 443 calories on one day doing this. I'd go out more often but I have to go across town driving to get to the best pokestop spot. :(
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Aaaaand, my gym is a pokestop. And the the bass pro next door is a pokegym. #winning
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the minority here, but I think its so dumb! When my 13 year old downloaded it I made fun of him for days.

So, your kid wanted to play the same game all his friends are playing, get some exercise, and you made fun of him? Stellar parenting!

There is no prize for hating something. I say anything that gets anyone up and moving is worth encouraging.

Way to go judging us as if you know our personalities and family dynamics. It was completely lighthearted and funny. And Im actually an amazing parent thank you very much.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Aaaaand, my gym is a pokestop. And the the bass pro next door is a pokegym. #winning

Had to see how Pokemon Go was making money. Looks like for now it's selling coins. When you said Bass Pro Shop made me wonder how long it will take the programmers to place Pokemon in stores that are paying a finders fee to Nintendo, and Alphabet Inc?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-pokemon-go-makes-money-2016-07-11
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Remember to stay off of other people's property and blocking parking lots when playing this game. We have had problems where I work with people standing outside our pharmacy in the parking lot just lurking and since we we're robbed a few weeks ago everyone is nervous
  • DaniDoll57
    DaniDoll57 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I love Pokemon so we immediately got the app when it came out. Now we're both walking nightly to catch Pokemon and I've been either hitting or getting close to my 10,000 step goals compared to barely hitting 5,000 before.

I actually look forward to hour long walks; especially with the egg hatching mechanic that makes you walk to hatch. No shaking your phone to lie about your steps! It knoooooows.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an hour long Pokewalk! If anyone wants to add me, feel free :)