Did your change in lifestyle affect your personal relationships?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    No offense, but your boyfriend seems like a jerk. Have an actual conversation with him and tell him that you don't feel good about yourself and just want to lose a couple pounds and explain that you're not able to fit that stuff into your calories. I don't get why that's hard for him to understand, it's not like you're telling him he can't have his food lol

I agree!

There is a difference between a partner struggling with the changes he sees in you due to a lifestyle change and putting your down for the way you choose that change and your food choices.

If my partner said those things to me, what would I say to him? "Honey, you do you and I'll do me."

However, if he said something about a change my personality due to the weight loss (which, by the way, did happen), I would listen and see that as a door to an honest conversation (which also happened)
  • clucklucky
    clucklucky Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree with the contingent of folks here who have said to talk to your boyfriend, not just to write him off as a jerk. My addition/idea is to bring it up happily, as a thing you're excited about and want to involve him in rather than bitching at him about how unsupportive he is. Don't be afraid to be serious, tell him it's important to you, but go in with a plan: for example, if, as other folks have suggested, you're going to try cooking a couple (or more) meals a week, ask him for suggestions on things he'd like to try at-home versions of. You don't have to just take his requests, of course, but it might help to make him feel less food-railroaded (foodroaded?) by your new plans.

My boyfriend has been wonderfully supportive of me trying to get fit, but still pokes fun at my efforts and complains about dinner sometimes. It's part of the fun of relationships, it builds in an opportunity for banter and play. And our relationship has only gotten better for it, not only because I'm happier and more confident when I'm more active and feel like I'm taking care of myself, but because it gives me opportunities to tease him, too. We had a pull up competition the other day. I lost miserably, but it still makes it fun and involves him in my journey.

It can be super frustrating when your partner doesn't automatically take the position you'd like them to, but it doesn't have to change your relationship for the worse. You guys can definitely figure it out. Good luck!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I live together. He is a chef who shows affection through food. When I realized how much I'd gained since we moved in together it was a problem but we talked about it. Our plates are different sizes usually now and we don't always eat the same thing (I like zucchini in place of pasta) but we still dine together. You need to have a conversation with him. If he isn't supportive of you taking care of yourself than he isn't a good partner but, you'll never know unless you give him a chance.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive of my journey to lose even though he struggles with his own and for that I am so grateful. So does he eat a lot of crap that I don't, sure, but he isn't in my face about it. You're both allowed to have different food and fitness directives but you both need to respect each others' choices to be successful together- I hope a conversation between the two of you will help things!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    That is so nice, Jessica.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wonder If it isn't insecurity? He knows you feel good about yourself under 145. Is there a little sabotage in there?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My husband has started baking his own sourdough rye bread...every day I come home now there's fresh baked delicious bread sitting there on the side

And it's my kryptonite

So do I stop him baking it, when he's enjoying the process and he and the children also love the bread? Because that would fit my goals to not have temptation? No, I try to moderate my consumption of it..and I am certainly weighing each slice and careful of toppings

(OK ...let's face it I'm human, I did mention that maybe he could stop making it every day and I got a raised eyebrow WTF response and after laughing I thought fair enough..it's my issue and I need to deal with it, anyway he'll get bored eventually)
  • soontobeslim87
    soontobeslim87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to get my other half to understand that it was about the number of calories I was eating that was the problem. We love to eat out and were going out once or twice a week. I had a break through with the Hairy Dieters cookbooks. He started looking at the numbers and started to realise that it was a numbers game rather than just eating "healthy" food. We eat out now as more of a treat and the weight is coming off steadily. On the nights where neither of us can be bothered to cook from scratch we take something out the freezer that we've batch cooked. Makes such a difference now we're on the same page!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Ignore the fact that it's horribly expensive (average $80 per night on dinner alone)

This would be the problem for me. I'd much rather save that money to travel. $80/night for 30 days is $2400 ... I could fly to Canada for that! 2 months and both my husband and I could fly to Canada. 3 months and we could fly to Canada and spend some time travelling around and visiting friends and family and places I'd like to see again.

Eating out isn't a huge deal if you keep the number of calories you consume under the amount of calories you're burning, but maybe you'd have better luck talking to your boyfriend if you started adding up the cost and put it in terms of buying something.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Are you afraid to stick up for yourself? Is there a reason you think your opinion doesn't count? If you are going to eat out, or order in you don't have to have the appitizers, just let them sit there on the table, and he will eventually learn, and order something healthier, but you should really just eat what you want at home, and if can't deal with that, it isn't your problem, so keep making your sandwhiches, and for the love of god learn to cook, there are some many delicious things you could be making yourself!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ignore the fact that it's horribly expensive (average $80 per night on dinner alone)

This would be the problem for me. I'd much rather save that money to travel. $80/night for 30 days is $2400 ... I could fly to Canada for that! 2 months and both my husband and I could fly to Canada. 3 months and we could fly to Canada and spend some time travelling around and visiting friends and family and places I'd like to see again.

Eating out isn't a huge deal if you keep the number of calories you consume under the amount of calories you're burning, but maybe you'd have better luck talking to your boyfriend if you started adding up the cost and put it in terms of buying something.

I saw this and failed to ask whether the OP's SO is a professional working many hours a week. It's perfectly normal to eat out nearly every night in some professions. It's easy to exercise regularly and cook meals together if you're only working 50 hours a week or so. It's much more difficult when you get into 70+ hour territory, but eating right and exercising also becomes more important as an aspect of stress management. It is possible to eat very healthily at restaurants but it takes paying attention and sometimes ordering off menu. Whether to eat out or eat at home can be a source of tension because if you love each other you'll want to spend time with each other, some find eating out a way to blow off stress, and others see it as a source of stress. This is one of several reasons why they really need to sit down and talk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me the main issue is when it changes your lifestyle so much that you just don't like doing the same things anymore.

My husband's still obese, I'm quite sure he's gained weight actually since I joined MFP. He'll still sleep in forever in the morning when I'm ready to get out of the door by 9am... and I have to wait for him to get up in the morning to go to the gym on week ends... so we basically don't see each other all morning. Our meals are never in sync either so that's a problem sometimes (he'll have breakfast at 10.30am, when I have mine at 8am tops, so he's not hungry for lunch when I'm starving, and lunch is my biggest meal of the day so we like going out to eat at lunch... which is often a problem). He still loads up on snacks when we watch TV in the evening... It doesn't stop me, but it makes it tough sometimes when you don't really approve his lifestyle.

Thankfully we don't have many friends so it's not like we went out every Friday to have drinks either, and I'd rather exercise alone than with a partner anyway... so it's not a huge deal (plus we have kids so we haven't gone out in the evening in years anyway).
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP you can eat out while keeping in your calories. Whenever I go out to eat, I do not get an appetizer, I only drink water, and I only end up eating half of my plate and saving the rest for lunch the next day. So you can still go out to eat with him while staying within your calorie budget. A lot of restaurants will have the menu online, so you can look at it and make a decision about what would be the best calorie choice for your day early on and stick with it.

Also, you can still eat food during the day, just choose lower calorie items. Keep it purely about the numbers, breakfast 200 calories max, lunch 300 calories max, snacks in between (if needed) each 75 calories max (total 150 max) and you've consumed 650 calories during the day. If you're allowed 1300 calories a day that leaves you with 650 calories for dinner.

It's going to take work on your part, but you do need to talk to him and let him know where your head is at. Let him know that you guys can go out to eat, but you only want to eat an entree, not have a drink and share an appetizer. He's more than welcome to have whatever it is that makes him happy, but for your goals you have figured out that you can have x,y,z.

A trick to use is to ask the waiter/waitress to bring you out a to-go box out with your entree, so you can pack up half of it to go right away. If your boyfriend asks why, just tell him you're saving the rest for lunch the next day. Or if you don't want to eat it b/c you know you're going to dinner the next night, give it to a coworker the next day. I feel like everyone has someone at the office who is always up for a free meal. Just tell them you didn't eat off of it at all, but you don't want it to go to waste.
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think an honest conversation is in order. It can be hard to feel the pressures of who eats what. My SO has goals that are EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of mine. He consistently works hard to gain weight, while I am trying to lose. Then we have 3 kids that need healthy meals. There are plenty of days that I eat something, he eats something else, and the kids have their own meal. And trust me it requires a lot of communication and support on who is cooking what, and who is eating what... to make sure everyone gets their dietary needs met.
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think an honest conversation is in order. It can be hard to feel the pressures of who eats what. My SO has goals that are EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of mine. He consistently works hard to gain weight, while I am trying to lose. Then we have 3 kids that need healthy meals. There are plenty of days that I eat something, he eats something else, and the kids have their own meal. And trust me it requires a lot of communication and support on who is cooking what, and who is eating what... to make sure everyone gets their dietary needs met.

And.... last but not least... making sure all those dishes are washed!!! :open_mouth:
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP I do think you have to find a balance if your relationship is going to last. If you want to eat a sandwich that's fine but you need to explain to him that it's not his business. It seems he thinks of food as a bonding thing so you need to discuss this.
    I will say that I know a woman who married a much older, obese man when she was really obese too . Since she lost weight she has done nothing but complain about him being obese on FB and message boards , almost forgetting she was like that herself for years. I guess what I'm saying is that no relationship can last if you don't discuss your wants/needs and personally I think complaining on the internet about your spouse or SO is really uncool. Just talk about it.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It changed a couple. Encouragement comes from places I wouldn't have predicted as does discouragement. Out with the old, in with the new. That's life. The weight loss begat lifestyle changes and those moved some people into and some out of my life.

My whole life changed. Everything. Even my new furniture is different because I don't need that giant couch to support me anymore. New friends, new foods, new books, new equipment stored in new places. It's not just the clothes that change. Not for me, anyway. I didn't know it was coming and didn't set out to change everything, but that's what happened.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    $80 per night for dinner? What the hell is he ordering?

I don't have a significant other but I have a very active social life. Sadly, losing weight means I can't go out as much as I use to. My friends miss me and will occasionally give me a little *kitten* about choosing the gym over the bar but overall have been pretty supportive.