Fasting

Options
inezbruce
inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
Ive been super busy/stressed recently and have read its beneficial for the body and mind to embark on a water fast.
Has anyone done a water fast? Reviews?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for a day many times. I don't think I'd want to do more than one day (either 24 hr period or simply from waking one day till I wake the next), but I do like the way I feel after a one day fast. It's never made me overeat the next day. In fact it seems to make me more aware of what I'm eating for a while.

There is plenty of data on the benefits of short fasts available.
  • inezbruce
    Options
    It would be more beneficial for your body and mind if you stopped reading women's magazines and watching infomercials. If you are stressed, find better ways to organize your day, and methods to de-stress.

Please do not undermine me.
    The stress in my life DOES NOT come down to organisation of my day.
    You know nothing about me or my life please don't make assumptions that reflect your own day to day living.
    A method to de-stress could be fasting? People fast for religious purposes, people fast as a form of meditation, people fast to have better control over eating habits, people fast because its a good way in which to clear your body of toxins and give your digestive system a break.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP if a water fast is going to de-stress you then by all means embark on as many water fasts as you need. If you think you need this to detoxify/clear your brain and give your body a digestive vacation then go ahead.

A water fast does nothing but keep you from eating food and you basically drink water all day long hense staying hydrated through the day(2) that you do not eat. And you will pee a lot. Loads of water and no carbs will equal water weight loss.
  • inezbruce
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »

This article is not written by a doctor.
    In fact its a hugely stereotypical, bias piece of writing.
    Are you really going to believe this is a level headed article with an opening like this
    "Whether it’s cucumbers splashing into water or models sitting smugly next to a pile of vegetables"

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »
    It would be more beneficial for your body and mind if you stopped reading women's magazines and watching infomercials. If you are stressed, find better ways to organize your day, and methods to de-stress.

Please do not undermine me.
    The stress in my life DOES NOT come down to organisation of my day.
    You know nothing about me or my life please don't make assumptions that reflect your own day to day living.
    A method to de-stress could be fasting? People fast for religious purposes, people fast as a form of meditation, people fast to have better control over eating habits, people fast because its a good way in which to clear your body of toxins and give your digestive system a break.

No it does not get rid of "toxins".
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good for stress but water fasts are hooey unless for religious reasons. Talk about adding more stress by only ingesting water.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give your digestive system a break if you aren't in a major flare of a gi disease like Crohn's.
  • inezbruce
    Options
    "When you go on a fast you are giving your body a complete break from food, and since the majority of our energy goes
    to digesting the food that we eat, your body will suddenly have a lot more free energy than usual when you fast, and it
    will use this energy to work on things that it normally doesn't have enough time for, such as healing old wounds and
    removing built-up toxins that have been in your body for years."
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What toxins are you talking about?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yoga is good for stress but water fasts are hooey unless for religious reasons. Talk about adding more stress by only ingesting water.

This simply isn't true. You really should research the subject. Short fasts have health benefits.

Just because something isn't necessary for existence doesn't mean it won't be good for health.
  • inezbruce
    Options
    The quote I posted it something I just pulled up from the internet in response to the comments which posted no facts, reviews, just blunt perceptions of what it is.
    I wanted real reviews/knowledge.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This simply isn't true. You really should research the subject. Short fasts have health benefits.

Just because something isn't necessary for existence doesn't mean it won't be good for health.

Says who?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What benefits are you wanting to gain from this water fast? Will the life around you be stress free while you fast. Will you be meditating to calm your mind as well? I have done a 24 hour fast with water and fruit juice only while meditating at my camp with no one else around me. I felt spiritually healed but I don't know what my body got from it.
  • inezbruce
    Options

This article is not written by a doctor.
    In fact its a hugely stereotypical, bias piece of writing.
    Are you really going to believe this is a level headed article with an opening like this
    "Whether it’s cucumbers splashing into water or models sitting smugly next to a pile of vegetables"

It is actually an independent newspaper in uk, very successful. So you come on here and ask opinions about fasting and detox and then attack people opinions? Dont ask the question and grow up. We alk have stresses. Healthy body helps the mind and depriving yourself of water may be a religious thing...but not a modern day coping tool

Im from the uk.
    I didnt want opinions on fasting I wanted reviews on it, results from people who had fasted. Good or bad. Not just negative opinions from people who have never done it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    "When you go on a fast you are giving your body a complete break from food, and since the majority of our energy goes
    to digesting the food that we eat, your body will suddenly have a lot more free energy than usual when you fast, and it
    will use this energy to work on things that it normally doesn't have enough time for, such as healing old wounds and
    removing built-up toxins that have been in your body for years."

No to all of this.

You don't need to give your digestive system a break and detoxing is just a myth.