Fasting

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    inezbruce wrote: »
    "When you go on a fast you are giving your body a complete break from food, and since the majority of our energy goes
    to digesting the food that we eat, your body will suddenly have a lot more free energy than usual when you fast, and it
    will use this energy to work on things that it normally doesn't have enough time for, such as healing old wounds and
    removing built-up toxins that have been in your body for years."

No to all of this.

You don't need to give your digestive system a break and detoxing is just a myth.

We are trying very hard to tell her this. OP is sold on the idea that we all are needing these things for some reason as our bodies have taken some sort of vacation on doing its daily functions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "When you go on a fast you are giving your body a complete break from food, and since the majority of our energy goes
    to digesting the food that we eat, your body will suddenly have a lot more free energy than usual when you fast, and it
    will use this energy to work on things that it normally doesn't have enough time for, such as healing old wounds and

If you have wounds that are not healing, that's potentially a sign of a serious medical problem. This requires a medical attention, not depriving your body of food. Conditions like infections or diabetes (things that interfere with wounds healing) can be made worse by prolonged fasts, not better.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    THis thread started as de-stressing, to our bodies are taking breaks from doing its job, then back to the body needs to take a break and to just wanting opinions from people who have done a fast and what their results were..

This thread is turning into another train wreck as does all of OP's threads.. sorry.. :(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have fasted and my review is................meh!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    according to this website http://www.allaboutfasting.com/water-fasting.html a mole can just fall off when fasting so ...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not against fasting, but it's the last thing you will want to do if stressed. Your body physically releases stress hormones when you fast, regardless if you are stressed or not to begin with. You don't need to give your digestive system a break anymore than you need to give your lungs a break.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Sorry but to use a good old-fashioned British phrase - what a right load of cobblers!

Will a short term water fast harm you? - Nope, probably not.
    Will a long term water fast hurt you? Definitely.
    Will a water fast detox you? - No, if you have ingested toxins your liver and kidneys can't handle as part of their normal function then go straight to A&E.

A better way to destress would to be to get out and have some gentle exercise in the open air and sunshine. Although sunshine may be problematic in Manchester (take a brolly!).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yoga is good for stress but water fasts are hooey unless for religious reasons. Talk about adding more stress by only ingesting water.

This simply isn't true. You really should research the subject. Short fasts have health benefits.

Just because something isn't necessary for existence doesn't mean it won't be good for health.

Says who?

If you mean the first line, science.

If you mean the second, common sense. ETA: and science
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    according to this website http://www.allaboutfasting.com/water-fasting.html a mole can just fall off when fasting so ...

Is this article about water fast or the ad for Scrubbing Bubbles toilet cleaning gel? This will def clean out the toilet.
  • queenliz99
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yoga is good for stress but water fasts are hooey unless for religious reasons. Talk about adding more stress by only ingesting water.

This simply isn't true. You really should research the subject. Short fasts have health benefits.

Just because something isn't necessary for existence doesn't mean it won't be good for health.

Says who?

Fasting is good for stress? Science?
    What does common sense have to do with it?

Sarcasm again?
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do a fast every day, the length of the fast is varying. Since I do not eat while sleeping I count that time as fasting. Then it is a matter of when I eat dinner and when I eat the next day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Says who?

Sarcasm again?

Nope, not sarcasm. Feel free to research it.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Says who?

Sarcasm again?

Nope, not sarcasm. Feel free to research it.
    No need to research but thanks for the suggestion.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    The quote I posted it something I just pulled up from the internet in response to the comments which posted no facts, reviews, just blunt perceptions of what it is.
    I wanted real reviews/knowledge.

I would recommend looking up scientific articles on your library databases then. Not asking random people to do it for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Where's this from? It seems obviously untrue that the majority of our energy goes to digesting food.

Also, what built up toxins? This is silly.

That said, I've done a one-day water fast for religious reasons plenty of times. I think it can have some benefits for that purpose, but I am skeptical that it is going to "de-stress" anyone (I think it would be if anything counterproductive) and certainly won't lead to a huge increase in energy (other than due to the placebo effect) or remove "toxins."

That said, for a short period of time like a day it wouldn't hurt.
  • beckym215
    beckym215 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here is a decent article on intermittent fasting with reputable citations. Obviously it isn't for everyone, and most have a person taking in some calories (not just all water). http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/intermittent-fasting-science-and-supplementation.html
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It would be more beneficial for your body and mind if you stopped reading women's magazines and watching infomercials. If you are stressed, find better ways to organize your day, and methods to de-stress.

Please do not undermine me.
    The stress in my life DOES NOT come down to organisation of my day.
    You know nothing about me or my life please don't make assumptions that reflect your own day to day living.
    A method to de-stress could be fasting? People fast for religious purposes, people fast as a form of meditation, people fast to have better control over eating habits, people fast because its a good way in which to clear your body of toxins and give your digestive system a break.

Not to undermine you, but this is completely false information. Your properly working liver and kidneys detox your body every second. There's no such thing as "detoxing" anything. And technically speaking, the more water you drink, the more you'll be helping your kidneys flush said toxins. So taking a fast from water doesn't make any sense, biologically.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm not against fasting, but it's the last thing you will want to do if stressed. Your body physically releases stress hormones when you fast, regardless if you are stressed or not to begin with. You don't need to give your digestive system a break anymore than you need to give your lungs a break.

Exactly. OP, you need some good chocolate ;)
  • coseytoes107
    coseytoes107 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there is a group on here for one meal a day eaters it's called OMAD revolution. You might find it interesting & helpful. I have started water fasting over the past month ( meaning I consume nothing but water for 24 hours) on most days. I then sit down with my family to eat a large meal in the evening. I've lost a stone so far. ( Yes I know most of this is water weight) So my review of water fasting which was your original question. I love it! I love the feeling of self control, I love eating that one really delicious fulfilling meal a day. I love that my social life eating out with friends hasn't had to change & I love seeing the pounds drop off. I know it's not for everyone but I wish you good luck & do what feels right for you. :)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi there is a group on here for one meal a day eaters it's called OMAD revolution. You might find it interesting & helpful. I have started water fasting over the past month ( meaning I consume nothing but water for 24 hours) on most days. I then sit down with my family to eat a large meal in the evening. I've lost a stone so far. ( Yes I know most of this is water weight) So my review of water fasting which was your original question. I love it! I love the feeling of self control, I love eating that one really delicious fulfilling meal a day. I love that my social life eating out with friends hasn't had to change & I love seeing the pounds drop off. I know it's not for everyone but I wish you good luck & do what feels right for you. :)

That's one way to do intermittent fasting. But you can do it many ways - if you're so inclined. (OP) Tell us how it goes and give us your own review.