Do you do this?

Options
2»

Replies

• hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This doesnt work for alot of ppl actually most...i go to be at 9 (i take something to help me sleep) even if im not tired I will go to bed, I eat supper at 630 and usually fall asleep before I get too hungry then have a big breakfast....but im weird and for most ppl thats wayyy to early

Yes I think just going to bed and let this phase pass by, eating more is not what I want at this stage. I have been eating extra and not losing an oz! Or push my dinner to 8pm instead of 6:30 if I can.
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP a few questions I didn't see the answers to yet, sorry if they are redundant.

What is your goal rate of loss set to?

How much more weight are you trying to lose?

Are you eating back exercise calories?

Also, you keep calling the evening eating a binge, but I'm not sure if that's the right word. Do you just mean that you are eating more than your calorie allotment? How much more, usually?

1 pound a week and MFP sets me at 1200 but I am eating 1300 cals or I used too but not in the last 2 months which I am up and down Denton binging .. If I set to .5 loss per week MFP puts me at 1450 cals

I eat back some of exercise calories

I want to lose 10 more pounds but I really do not want to wait 5 or 6 months to reach it. I just want to get there within 3 months and enjoy more food at maintenance. I started last May 2015 and I want to get there sooner. I guess I should not be in a hurry but this is how I feel.

I can understand wanting to be finished as soon as possible but slowing down a bit has some benefits, it helps preserve lean muscle mass as now that you are closer to goal, as well as helping ease you into maintenance.

If you are that hungry, it may be your body's way of telling you it is time to slow down. By giving yourself some extra cals in the plan, it may help curb your desire to over eat in the evening, help fuel your workouts, etc.

Thank you! It is a good point and I will think about it
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Are you eating because you are truly hungry? Or bored? Do you crave a specific food like chocolate or salty stuff? I know there are articles floating around out there about "if you crave this, you are low in such and such vitamin." Which you could be after changing your diet, without even knowing it.
    Weight loss is so confusing! Congratulations on your loss! Don't give up!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Make tastier, more satisfying meals. Then have some tea. Maybe increase your goal a little so you're not depriving yourself too much... 1300 is really not much, especially if you're not eating back exercise calories.

Down the line you just have to want it enough, unfortunately (not judging, I'm in the same boat).
  • Dfoarde
    Dfoarde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hop on an exercise bike or go for a run at some
    point during the day, pretty easy way to snag some extra calorie credits and it'll balance out your day nicely
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP a few questions I didn't see the answers to yet, sorry if they are redundant.

What is your goal rate of loss set to?

How much more weight are you trying to lose? Never mind this one, just saw in your OP that you want to lose 10 more pounds. The answer to the first question is still important because with only 10 lbs to lose your goal should only be set to lose 0.5 lb/week which may give you more calories to work with.

Are you eating back exercise calories?

Also, you keep calling the evening eating a binge, but I'm not sure if that's the right word. Do you just mean that you are eating more than your calorie allotment? How much more, usually?

I eat about 500 cals more

Is not a binge in the true sense of the term. Slow and steady wins the race especially with only 10 to go
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What time do you eat supper? Can you eat a little later to keep yourself satisfied through the evening?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    This is contrarian, I know, but I found that I had fewer problems with cravings at night if I ate a better breakfast with more protein, then solid protein throughout the day.

Everyone is different when it comes to satiation.

Some people do better on lots of small meals (or meals + snacks), others do better skipping some typical meals and eating less often (right down to once/day for some of the intermittent fasting folks). Some, like me, need that bigger breakfast, while others skip or minimize breakfast to save calories for evening.

Some people feel satiated by extra protein (staying within a healthy range of all macros, of course). Others feel full with relatively more healthy fat in the mix, or high-volume/low-cal foods (like high-fiber veggies).

Try experimenting with a different routine for 2-3 days, and see how you feel. If it's better, keep it. If it isn't, give something else a fair try. You'll find the routine that is most satiating for you.

Beyond that, an evening hobby, especially one that requires clean hands - knitting, drawing, learning to play a musical instrument, etc. - can be a good thing. ;)
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I will keep you posted after I try some suggestions :)
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    Are you eating because you are truly hungry? Or bored? Do you crave a specific food like chocolate or salty stuff? I know there are articles floating around out there about "if you crave this, you are low in such and such vitamin." Which you could be after changing your diet, without even knowing it.
    Weight loss is so confusing! Congratulations on your loss! Don't give up!

Thank you! not cravings for certain stuff, just overall calories are exceeding my allowance and this is frustrating. I will not give up :)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good luck, and brava on the weight loss! Are you doing any weight training? That, more than anything else, has helped to jump-start my metabolism. Varying your exercise routine may help. I work with someone who keeps mixing up my routine for me, and my nutritionist also helps me tweak my diet when I hit a plateau. Sometimes the body just needs a reset.
  • hellonew2015
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    Good luck, and brava on the weight loss! Are you doing any weight training? That, more than anything else, has helped to jump-start my metabolism. Varying your exercise routine may help. I work with someone who keeps mixing up my routine for me, and my nutritionist also helps me tweak my diet when I hit a plateau. Sometimes the body just needs a reset.

No weight training but I am thinking to start deadlifts with dumbells around when I want to eat more in the evening.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Exercise during the evening tends to staunch my appetite, so I try to go for a short walk after dinner and then follow it up with some decaf tea: it works for me!
  • Mom2Frankie
    Mom2Frankie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me I hurry and straighten up the house and try to go to bed early. Or if I'm not tired I think I'll have carrots, celery, etc and if I don't want any of those things I just tell myself that I am not hungry
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat the bulk of my daily calories between 8:30 and 10:30 but I don't call it a binge. I call it dinner.

I find controlling calories much easier when I eat most of them at night.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am going to repeat what others have said but it works for me:

1. Eat more protein
    2. Drink more kcal free fluids
    3. Save calories for night by choosing lean proteins and bulking with large portions of undressed or low kcal dressing or green veg
    4. Drink more kcal free fluids
    5. Do more exercise to earn more kcals
    6. Drink more kcal free fluids
    7. Do not pick at food - if you must snack make it a nutritional filling one not empty kcals.

If you do above I am sure you will succeed. :smile: