Eating disorders

Options
salpowell6
salpowell6 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
I'm sure this has been posted before but I would love some help from others who understand. I have body dysmorphia and an overeating problem. Sometimes it really messed with my head. For example I've been getting on the scale every day and I get super discouraged if I don't lose weight, which is RIDDICULOUS since I know weight fluxtuates. Im just trying to heal my mind as well as my body through this whole journey and I would love to befriend some like minded people.

Replies

• randilynn9191
    randilynn9191 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way! When I work out I literally weigh my self 10 times in a two hour period! If I don't even go down 1oz before I'm done; i fell my self mentally abusing my self. Trying to push myself harder & harder! Your not alone!!
  • ambarks7
    ambarks7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I weigh myself every morning, after every meal, and before bed every night. It's a hard habit to break. You're not alone though!! My advice would be to work towards the healthiest lifestyle that best fits you. Maybe even throw out your scale!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is get professional help.

Otherwise, all you can really do is keep telling yourself that your thought process is both unrealistic and unhealthy. But you also say that you over eat. Are you consciously tracking calories? I guess I'm slightly confused as to how you expect the scale to go down if you are supposedly overeating.

Some folks benefit from finding other ways of measuring success. Instead of focusing on the scale, use things like measuring your body, taking progress photos, setting fitness goals, ect. Fixating on the scale won't help in the long term because the changes you make need to last a lifetime. Fixating on the scale to the point of discouragement over fluctuations is already setting you up for failure.
  • Blissxx23
    Blissxx23 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have body dysmorphia, throughout about 8 years I've been bullimic, anorexic, I've binged a ton, and the changes are constant.
    Its not only my body, but my whole appearance. I'm basically convinced I do not see me as the rest of the world does.
    And it is tough. We do tend to be unrealistic, but it does get easier.. Little steps
  • Blissxx23
    Blissxx23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    The best thing you can do is get professional help.

Otherwise, all you can really do is keep telling yourself that your thought process is both unrealistic and unhealthy. But you also say that you over eat. Are you consciously tracking calories? I guess I'm slightly confused as to how you expect the scale to go down if you are supposedly overeating.

Some folks benefit from finding other ways of measuring success. Instead of focusing on the scale, use things like measuring your body, taking progress photos, setting fitness goals, ect. Fixating on the scale won't help in the long term because the changes you make need to last a lifetime. Fixating on the scale to the point of discouragement over fluctuations is already setting you up for failure.

And this!!!
    Ive kept away from the scale entirely.
    I take measurements once a week (its hard not to do 50 times a day!), and losing inches can be insanely encouraging.
  • fluffyfontaine_
    fluffyfontaine_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I second getting professional help. I did 6 months of therapy for binge eating disorder and it helps tremendously. Every day is still a struggle, but I'm MUCH better off than I was before it. Good luck!
  • salpowell6
    salpowell6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of therapy, but not for this specifically. However, I have not binged like I used to since May 10th. I have small problems here and there but I've been doing enormously well! I've lost 15 lbs so far and I eat very clean. I count calories but I'm not as rigid on it especially since going over calories on strawberries or spinach isn't that big of a deal for me. And if I DO go over calories it's 200 at the most. So that means 1,500 every once in a while. I'm trying to get rid of my old problems (overeating) while being conscience not to create new ones (orthorexia). I want to free my mind, not chain it to a different post. Does that make sense? More than anything I like creating a dialogue with others who understand because it makes me feel not so alone. So thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! I wish we weren't all in the same crappy boat together.
  • EmanuellaBella
    EmanuellaBella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like-minded here :) I don't suffer from dysmorphia (I am sorry you are) but am being treated for 'moderate to severe binge eating disorder'. Oh, yay :)

I actually am on meds (so far so good) but they are specific to hard core binge eating disorder, so not something that would apply to you, I suppose, but I do use the meds in conjunction with cognitive behavioural therapy... which might be right up your alley. I've only just started, but I really think it's going to help. Is that something you can look into where you are? I was worried at first that it would be "well... if you eat when you're sad, you should journal" or "when you feel yourself binging, you should drink water and go for a brisk walk" (hahah!!) but it's not, not at all.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Like-minded here :) I don't suffer from dysmorphia (I am sorry you are) but am being treated for 'moderate to severe binge eating disorder'. Oh, yay :)

I actually am on meds (so far so good) but they are specific to hard core binge eating disorder, so not something that would apply to you, I suppose, but I do use the meds in conjunction with cognitive behavioral therapy... which might be right up your alley. I've only just started, but I really think it's going to help. Is that something you can look into where you are? I was worried at first that it would be "well... if you eat when you're sad, you should journal" or "when you feel yourself binging, you should drink water and go for a brisk walk" (hahah!!) but it's not, not at all.

@EmanuellaBella Is it Vyvanse you're on? I'm glad you're feeling more hopeful and doing CBT. I'm new to DBT and hopefully that will help with my thinking.

To all of you also dealing with a binge disorder, it really does get better, I'm right there with you all in understanding how isolating it can feel at times. ugh Body dysmorphia... is some crazy stuff, I look in the mirror and I think ..wow, looking good, a bit later, I look in horror. It's quite confusing to my head what I actually look like as I see myself in so many different ways. I totally understand the scale issue, I battle with that obsession, it's not a good measuring tool but it's something I lean on at times. I much prefer if my clothes get loose or I have more energy. I actually don't care what the scale ends up saying in the end. As we build muscle to take the place of fat in our body the scale will no longer be very useful. So I'm trying hard to lessen it's grip now. :#

It does give a lonely feeling like you're the only one. But we aren't the only one, that's just another distortion in our minds.

Glad this thread was posted and the others of you shared where you're at. I ended up with tears down my cheeks as I wrote this. I feel close as we share so much in common, pain, confusion, yet trying to work through it to heal and get through the other side.

Amazing how that can happen on an online thread.. <3
  • EmanuellaBella
    EmanuellaBella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, @Hearts_2015 ... yes, I am on Vyvanse. I feel like a light bulb went on when I learned about Binge Eating Disorder was an actual thing. I always figured I did NOT really have a real eating disorder, because I didn't purge, and I really assumed there was Anorexia... Bulimia... and that was it. Eyes are opened now for sure. It's almost a relief, you know? I am very much the 'troubleshooting, action item' type, so knowing there is something very specific I can work on makes me very happy :)

• starsarai720
    starsarai720 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This. All of this. I've been on both ends of the spectrum (underweight, not eating enough, working out all the time.... To binge eating, no energy, no exercise). I have never been "overweight" by medical terms, but I have never been happy with my body. I really struggle with this. Right now I am trying to lose 10lbs. (5'10" currently 144ish). My head would be happier if I lost 15, 20, or 25... But I now I have to keep my goals more realistic.
    Body dysphorphia San be all-consuming. I completely understand the daily highs and lows.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi, @Hearts_2015 ... yes, I am on Vyvanse. I feel like a light bulb went on when I learned about Binge Eating Disorder was an actual thing. I always figured I did NOT really have a real eating disorder, because I didn't purge, and I really assumed there was Anorexia... Bulimia... and that was it. Eyes are opened now for sure. It's almost a relief, you know? I am very much the 'troubleshooting, action item' type, so knowing there is something very specific I can work on makes me very happy :)

@EmanuellaBella Oh I SO understand what you're saying, I could have written that! I'll post a bit more later. I can't believe I stayed up this late. :#
  • purduboilr
    purduboilr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater in recovery. I've been to 4 therapists and and two eating clinics. Mostly, the therapists told me to just break up with my boyfriend, which is a whole other issue in and of itself. I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 2011 and it's been a not so pleasant adventure since. Your thyroid messes up a lot of things. I am now gluten free and my anxiety is in full force. I am getting treated by a psychologist and controlling my anxiety with meds for the moment, but I had to take a good look at my diet and commit to a plan. I am presently on day 3 of a thyroid eating plan - and I do feel mentally better at least, or I want it to work so bad I feel mentally better. I cannot expect to lose weight though quickly, it can take a long time to heal especially when you way more. You have to fix it at the cellular level and when you have more cells, well you get the idea.

I have however started doing a lot of my own research and reading to get better. I want to be happy, my mind won't let me sometimes. I especially found codependent no more and kill all the marriage counselors helpful.

And I try not to keep trigger founds in the house and not to be home alone, that's when I start to eat, hungry or not. I find that when my diet is satisfying, I'm in better control of the binge.