Why I love running

Options

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »

18 miles in under a year!! That's amazing! There is hope for me then -

I've stopped & started c25k over and over the past few years and I know my lack of completion is mostly a mental game I'm playing with myself. "I can't go further", "I'm too old for this (I'm only 42, lol), "I'm just not a runner".....but I want to be, haha. Your progress is inspiring to me!

Thank you! You can absolutely do it. I started and stopped c25k several times before it actually stuck. When I started the last time, I told myself I was going to finish the program no matter what. I allowed myself to re-do workouts or full weeks if I felt I needed to, and took it slow. That made it seem much more manageable and not so intimidating.

And you're so right, the mental part is the hardest. Stick with it - once you start completing the workouts, the negative self talk will decrease. That's the best part about c25k and running in general - your body gets to keep surprising you with what it's capable of. Good luck!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Been running for 18 months, now on a steady three runs a week - 10k on Saturday and a couple of 5k's mid-week. Not aiming to set any records - I used to run years back but stopped due to a foot injury. Keeping the pace high enough to give a good burn but not pushing the training hard.

Love love love running, it's an amazing buzz. But do also enjoy the amount you can eat on a 10k day. :)

I also cycle, play table tennis and shoot archery but they're less intensive. Though 10k today plus an hour of table tennis equals 1,000 cals on top of my basic 1,700.

Nothing wrong with the Blerch. I have this mug on my desk at work:

https://supermug.co.uk/products/i-like-to-run-because-its-good-for-me-and-also-i-like-to-eat-and-drink-a-lot

Been in maintenance at goal weight for a year so comfortable with eating back exercise cals. :smiley:

Have you ever thought about switching to TDEE? I run similar amount as you &am considering switching but Im almost obsessed with the loads of extra calories i can use during the week if I keep the regular formula

Have never been interested in switching to TDEE. :smile:

I only have a dim understanding of it from posts on here, but I don't feel any need to investigate further. I lost weight using MFP, simply by eating the basic cals it gave me plus logging and eating exercise cals. And I've maintained for a year by doing the same thing, so it works!

I don't think TDEE would work for me because I'm not consistent. Some days I do no cardio and eat my basic 1,700 cals. Other days I can earn anything up to 1,000 from exercise. It's not the same each day. Days with bigger burns, I eat more.

In short though, 'standard' MFP - as it was designed - has worked for me for 18 months so no reason to change to anything else. :smiley:

I'm the same. Even on non exercise days I'll eat over maintenance because I'll have such a bank from run days.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I love running, too. I just started..I've been using it as a tool to help me emotionally since my mum died.

But...I just had to go and really sprain my ankle, didn't I? So, now I really know what I am missing.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious how much running you guys do to get SUCH a deficit... Thanks!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I'm just curious how much running you guys do to get SUCH a deficit... Thanks!

Depending on how much you weigh, a mile can burn ~100 calories...

This calculator yields a similar burn to my HRM:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like running because it's faster than walking. Do 3.2 miles 2x per week (30 mins) and 10 miles on Saturdays (2 hours). I'm 51.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Like @katharmonic I started running in September when walking just seemed too slow.

I ran 500 metres, was knackered, but I was hooked. I started C25K a few days later, and finished it on December 5th. I was so happy!

I'm now obsessed with all things running!

Since October I've done (or volunteered at) parkrun every week, and I now run at least 4 times a week.

My longest distance so far is 16 km, and I hope to beat that tomorrow, and do a Half Marathon soon. I'm 49.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love running too! I only started last year. Running has definitely helped me with my weight loss and as a type 2 diabetic it helps keep my sugar levels down. I actually got off diabetes medication last year through a combination of losing weight and running. I've noticed if I don't run for a few days my fasting sugar creeps up to the upper 80's but for a day or two after a run it averages low 80's or even in the 70's.
  • jentroeger
    jentroeger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Love this thread, and love reading about everyone's passion for running! I started running in high school and became more "serious" about it after I had my first child 19 years ago. I'm now 44 and I run anywhere from 20-25 miles/week, plus some strength training and two days of "rest" (one rest day is a walk day, the other is no exercise or light swimming). Although I truly love the feeling/freedom/burn from running, what I love most is that it allows me to eat more food. I can say that behind it all I'm still a food addict and need all the help I can get to keep the extra weight off.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I can't eat very much because I hate running and cardio in general. I do love to eat and it would be nice to have a higher TDEE but I can't bring myself to do it. I love to walk slow and sit around.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I love running too. I started running at age 44, when I was in determined to leave some grief behind me and get stronger and healthier. The great thing I discovered is that running helps my mind and my body to feel stronger.

I'm 50 later this year, and can't see me stopping any time soon.
    Having said that, I've had periods where I've lost interest for a while, but I keep coming back.

Partly because I love to travel and running has taken me to some cool places (10k race in Barcelona on New Year's eve has to be the highlight!) and is just about to take me to four regional cities in my state over July/August - I'll be covering more than 5000km by plane and car, and running 60k over 5 weeks.
    As well as these kinds of events, it also means I've discovered so many pretty back streets and amazing sights around my home and other places that I've found myself in when I'm away for work or for holiday.

And yes, I like the calorie burn too. It's a helpful way to make room for treats or eating out or just eating more.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I like running because it is such a quick way to get exercise, and i like being able to see progress, it's progressive. I feel much better all day if I have a run in the morning, too, it's very easy to see the benefits quickly for that reason. I do feel much better eating more, too, so yes I am wired to run on more calories than I would get if sedentary, not good at limiting the calories enough to maintain without a lot of exercise, and running/yoga together as the main forms of exercise do seem to normalize my weight very well, not too high not too low.

My main issue with running is that it's too boring to be really stress relieving for me, even outside, the repetitive nature of it is just not engaging enough to take me away from my thoughts. Jazzercise, silly as it sounds, was much better for that, belly dance, ballet, any sort of dance really, even the step aerobics worked, and yoga classes IF they move quickly enough work OK for that zen feeling.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly love running, but I do love getting runner's high afterwards.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I get my run in right after work. Get home, change, get my hand held water bottle, cue in my music ,"locate satellites", a 5 minute brisk walk, after some leg swings, and start. Out of the house and moving before I can change my mine.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've just got into running per se. I'm prefer sprints. Hill sprints, flat sprints something explosive. That has been my go to cardio for many years now.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Amen! Hence my username :smiley:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @Orphia !!! Congratulations on your first half. That's a great time. Hope it was fun!