Motivation vs Dedication

Options
I feel like I am lacking the motivation and the dedication to lose weight but it is detrimental that I lose at least 60lbs. I know 60 sounds like a lot but I am 5'5 232lbs. I get comfortable with feeling ok in my own skin. I still feel attractive and I dont feel "unhealthy" however being the size I am and knowing there is no way but up left to go if I dont make some changes. I need help. Any tips or tricks on how to become motivated or any tips on how to become dedicated. I feel like if I can become Motivated being dedicated wont be that hard.

Replies

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Mini goals is what gets me motivated. I have a friend that I only see about once a month, so I use them as my weight loss goals. "By the time I see them in 4 weeks, I want to have lost __ pounds". Then I have a short-term goal to work for - it's hard to set a 6-12 month goal to lose weight, but easier to set monthly goals and try to reach them.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For years I got hung up on the total amount I needed to lose, and that put a mental block on me losing weight. When I started taking it literally 1 meal, 1 day, 1 pound at a time that's when I started succeeding. Over 60lbs gone. This methodology may help you.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I just read about a motivational technique called "weight loss jars"- the theory is that you put in coloured stones in the amount of pounds that you want to lose in one jar, and as you lose the weight, you transfer the corresponding number of stones to a "pounds lost" jar. The photo I saw used those coloured stones you can get at craft shops, like Michaels (Canada). I think for people who have a lot of weight to lose, that might not be motivating, but rather overwhelming, but as the stones get transferred from one jar to the other, it could be a helpful visual.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm never motivated when I start but I force myself to start anyway. Once I get a few days of eating healthy in, I start to have more energy to do things and then the motivation and dedication comes. Just get through the first couple of days and it will get better! The weight may take a long time to come off, but the increased energy and feeling good about what you are doing only takes a few days!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs because I wanted to be healthy. But then I fell for the trap of thinking I didn't have to do what I did to lose the weight. I gained it all back... I lost motivation and was tired of counting. But I know if I don't lose weight this time, I will have alot of health and money issues (no money because of how much the medical bills will be). I want to be around to enjoy my life.

However, the future is hard to see and doesn't help with the immediate motivation. What helped me the most to get back on track again is how good I felt once I switched to a healthy diet of mostly vegetables. It was night and day. Also it helps with weight lose. So far down 10 lbs maybe more, I don't weight myself too much (on purpose).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    At that weight your long tern health is suffering. That should be enough motivation to get the dedication to follow through and do something about it.

Best of luck.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a temporary thing. You get excited about something and start.running at your.goal at full speed. Sooner than later that initial excitement wears off and the enthusiasm dwindles.

Discipline on the other hand is a long team solution. It's grinding it out for the long haul. It's understanding that achieving a goal means consistent effort is required.

Motivation is easy to come by, Google will yield dozens of stories or motivational speeches. Discipline is much more difficult to attain because it comes from within.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    tierraajon wrote: »
    Thank you all for the great suggestions and opinions. I have cut out sweet tea completly from my diet (juices are next) I have began for the first time in my life getting comfortable drinking water. I have also started looking at carbs. I am trying to eat no more than 60g of carbs per meal. So far in a week with the changes I have made I have went from 232 to 228! I also got a gym membership finally!

Excellent! Small changes is a great idea. Good for you for not trying to change everything all at once. Sounds like you're on a good path.

The scale is only one tracking tool, though. So get a cloth measuring tape and take all your measurements and write them down with the date. There will be lots of times you don't see movement on the scale so looking at measurements is a great way to keep track of progress.

Do you have a plan for the gym? Try to set a schedule of what you'll do so that you go in with a purpose and make the best use of your time.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My experience is that people are motivated to do things they are good at. Motivation to continue comes after you experience success.

I apply that idea to choosing a healthier lifestyle for myself by setting goals. At first, you want those goals to be very short term so that you experience lots of success frequently. I think daily goals are a good place to start. After that, you can move to weekly, monthly, and eventually even longer term goals.

I choose to set specific goals that I can measure and that are realistic. I will exercise more today. is not a good goal because it is not specific (exercise) and it is not measurable (what is more?). Instead, a good goal is something like I will take a 20 minute walk after dinner. That is specific, measurable, and realistic.

The goals I set are always about behaviors that I can control that will result in me achieving a healthier lifestyle. I set goals about drinking water, staying within my calorie goal, increasing my protein or including more vegetables, incorporating more exercise, earning a badge on my Fitbit, practicing a healthy habit such as packing a lunch for work, etc.

I do not set goals for which I can not control the outcome. For example, I will lose 2 pounds this week is not a good goal because even if I do everything perfectly, I am not completely in control of what number shows up on that scale. Holding onto a bit of extra water weight, which is something my body does that I cannot control, could cause me not to achieve that kind of goal. It also puts the focus on the number that shows up on the scale, which could lead me to start playing games that might not be beneficial to my health, such as letting myself get a bit dehydrated to ensure the right number shows up on the scale.

This approach allows me to continuously motivate myself as I continue to strive to be as healthy as possible for me.
  • tierraajon
    tierraajon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    tierraajon wrote: »
    Thank you all for the great suggestions and opinions. I have cut out sweet tea completly from my diet (juices are next) I have began for the first time in my life getting comfortable drinking water. I have also started looking at carbs. I am trying to eat no more than 60g of carbs per meal. So far in a week with the changes I have made I have went from 232 to 228! I also got a gym membership finally!

Excellent! Small changes is a great idea. Good for you for not trying to change everything all at once. Sounds like you're on a good path.

The scale is only one tracking tool, though. So get a cloth measuring tape and take all your measurements and write them down with the date. There will be lots of times you don't see movement on the scale so looking at measurements is a great way to keep track of progress.

Do you have a plan for the gym? Try to set a schedule of what you'll do so that you go in with a purpose and make the best use of your time.

No I do not have a gym plan :(
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Just small changes are a good way to get the ball rolling. Start by weighing and recording your weight daily to build awareness. Maybe walk 30 mins a day. Baby steps.....then add in better eating, weights and the like.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My motivation to lose weight was improved health and quality of life.
    Honestly I didn't really feel bad about myself but was in poor shape at my highest weight. I didn't admit that I was in pain most of the time. I wasn't sleeping well. I was out of breath climbing stairs, I couldn't keep up with my family walking through a store parking lot. My dedication came after I started losing and noticed how much better I felt and how much more I could do.
    My experience was that simply tracking calories, trying to get enough protein, eating vegetables and fruits and watching my sodium was enough of a sustainable change. I didn't need a total diet and lifestyle overhaul to lose weight.
    I do drink mostly water or unsweetened tea and save my calories for food.
    Start with logging and sticking to your calorie goal.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was motivated to be healthy and losing weight was part of it. Motivation is really just wanting something. Want fuels action. If you want it badly enough, it becomes something you're willing to work for. You become dedicated. You're willing to sacrifice.

I wish I could give you motivation, but I cannot. You have to want it. It has to come from you. When you really want it, you'll just do it. (Not to sound like a Nike ad.) Once you are motivated, everything else falls into place. If you aren't, if you don't really want it, if you don't feel yourself being pushed by your desire, it would be hard if not impossible to manage it. It's a lot of work.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First of all you have to realize your worth it.

The other thing is you have to find your why. that why has to be a totally personal selfish why. It can't be for your significant other it can't be for the kids it totally has to be about you. Buy it being totally about you or your otherwise we'll take care of themselves.

The other thing is no one can motivate you. You have to motivate yourself. Once you find that why that motivates you the process to lose the weight becomes very simple.

Good luck and enjoy the journey you have the right mindset just find your why
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    My experience is that people are motivated to do things they are good at. Motivation to continue comes after you experience success.

I apply that idea to choosing a healthier lifestyle for myself by setting goals. At first, you want those goals to be very short term so that you experience lots of success frequently. I think daily goals are a good place to start. After that, you can move to weekly, monthly, and eventually even longer term goals.

I choose to set specific goals that I can measure and that are realistic. I will exercise more today. is not a good goal because it is not specific (exercise) and it is not measurable (what is more?). Instead, a good goal is something like I will take a 20 minute walk after dinner. That is specific, measurable, and realistic.

The goals I set are always about behaviors that I can control that will result in me achieving a healthier lifestyle. I set goals about drinking water, staying within my calorie goal, increasing my protein or including more vegetables, incorporating more exercise, earning a badge on my Fitbit, practicing a healthy habit such as packing a lunch for work, etc.

I do not set goals for which I can not control the outcome. For example, I will lose 2 pounds this week is not a good goal because even if I do everything perfectly, I am not completely in control of what number shows up on that scale. Holding onto a bit of extra water weight, which is something my body does that I cannot control, could cause me not to achieve that kind of goal. It also puts the focus on the number that shows up on the scale, which could lead me to start playing games that might not be beneficial to my health, such as letting myself get a bit dehydrated to ensure the right number shows up on the scale.

This approach allows me to continuously motivate myself as I continue to strive to be as healthy as possible for me.

I think this is an excellent approach. Being successful is very motivating! Make small goals that are attainable. I find it very rewarding to put a check mark next to something that I want to achieve. It drives me to make more goals.