For those of you who eat oatmeal...

Options

Replies

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Protein powder (thats where the sweetness comes from), walnuts and dried cranberries.
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    youmeandtheseaphotography Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Steel cut oats, 1 Tbsp of wheat germ, ground flaxseed, fruit and agave :) Yum!
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    shredded coconut, chopped unsalted almonds, and a touch of brown sugar or maple syrup.

I sometimes switch it up and add blueberries or strawberries or peaches with a splash of milk & honey. If I'm out of everything else, cinnamon and brown sugar. I like texture in my oatmeal though.
  • rccsinger
    rccsinger Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats in the crock pot; I make pumpkin oatmeal, chai spiced oatmeal, apple cinnamon. . .the variations are endless.

There are lots of ideas for oatmeal and overnight oats on pinterest as well.
  • rccsinger
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Savoury porridge this week: rolled oats, water, skim milk, grated carrot, grated zucchini, shredded parmesan, egg.
    Topped with a dash of Tabasco.

This sounds yummy!
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I add my chocolate flavour protein supplement and some fruits.
    Usually, kiwi / banana / orange but I can swap any of these with strawberries / apples.
  • 7bull
    7bull Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just 1 tbsp of honey and peanut butter. It's great, kind of like a fresh peanut butter no bake cookie
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Since myself and both my kids love oatmeal I like to make it overnight in the crockpot. I've tried about a million recipes for crock pot oatmeal and they are all good. Ok...I just typed this and saw your post not even 3 above @rccsinger.... great minds. lol.

I also like overnight oatmeal when it's just for me, but I used rolled oats in that and chia seeds.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! I love all the savory ones!

Bananas foster oats are my sweet favorite! It's more of a dessert than breakfast, though.
  • rccsinger
    Options
    for a change from oatmeal I make a corn/millet porridge (also in the crockpot). . .uses corn meal and millet. . .I add a little maple syrup or date puree. The recipe calls for shredded coconut and chopped dates, but I prefer it without.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Dried fruit, nuts, and cinnamon and vanilla. Sometimes, I'll top it with a drizzle of honey. I always keep a huge variety in the house, so I never get bored. One morning it might be dates and walnuts, and the next it might be cherries and almonds.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    I make it with low-sodium chicken broth and top with an over-medium egg.

Interesting... I might have to try this ..... sounds rather yummy :wink:

I change mine up but many times it's 1 T. Sunflower Nut Butter or whatever nut butter I have in the house, cinnamon and a serving of chia seeds and flax if I have them.
  • clg1241
    clg1241 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Crasins, walnuts chia seed ground flax and honey.Mix well before the chia seeds become a mush. I have cut down on adding salt until I do not add any anymore.
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For savory: Coach's Oats, sea salt, touch of butter. After cooking, top with toasted walnuts.
    For sweet: Steel cut oats, almond milk, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Top with toasted pecans.
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LunaLatte wrote: »
    Fruit combos mostly (I prefer overnight oats~Something about cold oats in the summer is amazing). Some of my favorites are:
    -1/2 cup Blubberies + 1 TBSP of raisins + a bit of vanilla escence + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/4 cup of strawberries + 1/4 cup banana + 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/2 a pear + 1 scoop of vanilla plant based protein powder + a bit of vanilla essence + 1 tsp of brown sugar

I do not understand overnight oatmeal so do you just prepare it and mix that in it and not add milk in the morning do you just eat it like that
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LunaLatte wrote: »
    Fruit combos mostly (I prefer overnight oats~Something about cold oats in the summer is amazing). Some of my favorites are:
    -1/2 cup Blubberies + 1 TBSP of raisins + a bit of vanilla escence + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/4 cup of strawberries + 1/4 cup banana + 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/2 a pear + 1 scoop of vanilla plant based protein powder + a bit of vanilla essence + 1 tsp of brown sugar

I do not understand overnight oatmeal so do you just prepare it and mix that in it and not add milk in the morning do you just eat it like that

I'm currently eating overnight oats!

I mix together the following in a tub, put the lid on and put it in the fridge overnight then stir and eat. It's absolutely delicious!

- 23g porridge oats
    - 6g chia seeds
    - 20g blueberry jam (raspberry also works)
    - 1 tbsp syrup
    - 60g greek yoghurt
    - 80ml milk (I use soy but any is fine)
    - 38g frozen berries (sometimes blueberries/raspberries/mixed forest fruits)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    kpbird4147 wrote: »
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Savoury porridge this week: rolled oats, water, skim milk, grated carrot, grated zucchini, shredded parmesan, egg.
    Topped with a dash of Tabasco.

How to prepare this porridge?

@kpbird4147

30g rolled oats
    250ml skim milk
    150ml water
    50g grated carrot
    50g grated zucchini
    10g shredded Parmesan
    1 egg, beaten

Place oats, milk, water and carrot in a saucepan, cook over low - moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the oats are soft and the porridge has thickened.
    Stir in the zucchini, egg and cheese. Cook for another minute or so.

My version came out at 331 cals.

Serve topped with hot sauce if you wish. You could also add more toppings like finely sliced spring onion or deep fried shallots, sliced red chilli, crushed peanuts, toasted sunflower seeds etc.
    Would also be good with the egg fried and served on top rather than cooked in the porridge.
  • brettsmith7887
    brettsmith7887 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    fav whey protein powder
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Wow. There are mad calories in some of these oatmeal concoctions. I'd love to eat oatmeal but this stuff doesn't work for me at all. I can get away with zoats (oats bulked up with grated zucchini) with protein powder, when I'm in maintenance.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Usually Planters crunchy pb and some quest peanut butter protein, or walnuts blueberries sugar free syrup and cinnamon. Or eggwhites and stevia flavor drops.