Pokemon - anyone else catching them?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm for it. I walk a decent amount already, but it's a chore. This makes walking fun and my 5 year old is walking with me for the first time. Normally, I'd run which is way more fun. But I'm pregnant, and I've hit the point where running hurts...and makes me feel like I'm gonna pee myself.

I see no issue with anyone enjoying a game. I'm 37 and I use it when I walk on my lunch break at work and when I go for my night time walk with my boys.

There is no need to be hating on anyone enjoying themselves. That said, use some damn sense people. Stay out of the road...don't go into shady areas by yourself at night...Don't trespass on private property.

This is a HUGE thing! Two teens in my area got arrested for trespassing, chasing a Pokemon.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've never played any of the Pokémon games, but when I read that people are getting a lot of steps in by playing the game I became a little interested. That interest faded when I realized I'd have to actually leave the apartment. :( Me and this heat/humidity do not mix. It's pretty unbearable just driving to the store. With that said, I do all my walking indoors.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm for it. I walk a decent amount already, but it's a chore. This makes walking fun and my 5 year old is walking with me for the first time. Normally, I'd run which is way more fun. But I'm pregnant, and I've hit the point where running hurts...and makes me feel like I'm gonna pee myself.

I see no issue with anyone enjoying a game. I'm 37 and I use it when I walk on my lunch break at work and when I go for my night time walk with my boys.

There is no need to be hating on anyone enjoying themselves. That said, use some damn sense people. Stay out of the road...don't go into shady areas by yourself at night...Don't trespass on private property.

I think the bolded is the key. I have no issues with people spending some time in the evening getting out and playing something they enjoy. For me, it's dancing. For others it catching Pokémon. However, there are so many people who don't use common sense. My coworkers are driving to work playing it, and some of them told me they saw cyclists playing. Playing while cycling or driving is definitely a concern.

By the way, I have to defend some of the negative responses a little. Where did the idea come from that we're only ever allowed to comment on a thread if we agree or love the subject? If this had been a thread about Shakeology or some new fad diet, there would be all kinds of comments like "that's dumb", etc...from people who never use/try it. I fail to see how this is different.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I play it but I'm not obsessed over it. If I'm in a new area I'll check out what's around but I won't go chasing them or out my way haha it is going to end with someone getting killed though. Some people are going way over the top with it
  • FaeryChaos
    FaeryChaos Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes! Because it's fun, something I can talk and do with my son AND it's awesome to see so many people, adults and kids, outside :)
  • mshelyla
    mshelyla Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I dont play Im waiting for the bugs and other issues to be worked out first. not to mention I dont have unlimited data and really dont want to have to pay for more data to play a game just to get me up and moving more.but thats my decision. if others want to play so be it. not to mention living in a rural area with not much around there probably wouldnt be a whole lot of pokemon(we have less than 900 people and some places they would hide would probably be hard to get to,not to mention if you trespass around here you may get shot(no joke).

Honestly, it doesn't use as much data as you would think. My boyfriend has been playing since this past weekend (about 5 ish days now) pretty consistently and hasn't even hit 1GB. If you think you'd enjoy it, I'd say give it a try and just track your data for the first couple days and see how it works out. It seems like the developers did a good job at not having the game eat data.
  • mshelyla
    mshelyla Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think this app has been great! As with everything, some people aren't using common sense with the game and putting themselves in more dangerous situations but over all I think it's a good thing. My boyfriend has been walking more which makes me happy because he is doing something healthy and for me it's been a great way to start a conversation.

I have pretty bad anxiety and while I can function fine on my day to day with people I know, I have a hard time starting a conversation with someone new. When I see someone playing this game, I can use that to start a conversation and then half the time we end up talking about something else besides the game in the end. It's an in for me though, and maybe this will build my confidence and allow me to be able to talk to new people without using the game as a starting point.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It sounds like fun but I have to stay away from games with this psychological leveling up/collecting component. I develop unhealthy obsessive habits around those sorts of games. I have a hell of a time practicing moderation with them so just steer clear completely. I'm not proud of my '/played' (tallied hours played) number that I wracked up in WoW. But have fun if that's not an issue you experience.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Both my sons are now playing it (22 and 23). I find it encouraging that they are getting up from their computer and going outside (although the oldest has a very active job). Plus it is something we can do together. They went to one of the "gyms" last night that I had found and it was encouraging to see a lot of people out walking. This weekend I think I have them convinced to go to our downtown area which has a large concentration of stops, gyms and pokemon.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am finally getting a smart phone this week so I will def be playing!
  • fornowiamwinter
    fornowiamwinter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep! Running out of the house at all hours to catch them. It's bordering on obsessive now! :smiley:
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic! I have been an avid walker for a long time. I am happy in silence, with music, or now- Pokemon. If it brings you joy and motivates you to move there's nothing wring with it. :) Now if I could just find the Pikachu that's been haunting my "nearby" list...
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This is a HUGE thing! Two teens in my area got arrested for trespassing, chasing a Pokemon.

yeah, I mean you still have to use your brain, it's still real life!
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options

This is pretty much true for everything. :D
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Why not just geocache? Same thing - a reward at the end - only without the security issues or risk of someone creating lures to mug (or worse) people?

We love geocaching, but they're different things. Once you've found all of the quick, easy little caches in your immediate area, it becomes a bit of a production to go out caching. Find the perfect cache or series, drive out close to it, spend a couple of hours tromping around. Fun, but not something the kids can just go outside and do every afternoon, which is what they've been doing with Pokemon, even with me sick in bed.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

May be true, but for some reason this app has people forgetting basic common sense. I've seen both teens and adults just walk into traffic with out even looking, staring at their phones. We've had people jumping fences into private property around here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Frankly...

wheneveryonetsposting-about-pokemon-go-but-you-cant-relate-cuz-youre-3046626.png

Just because you're an adult doesn't mean you can't have fun.

I believe I addressed this on page one...

I have plenty of fun...generally adult fun. Pokemon is not the kind of fun I'm looking for...

Speaking of fun, how about a sense of humor...that's fun! The internet isn't all serious business you know.