Pokemon - anyone else catching them?

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I don't play the game, but I have been having a lot of fun on my walks and errands watching people play. It's fun to watch people get excited about something, even if it is just catching cartoon characters.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    pretty sad that people need an app to get out and walk around more....

We live in a sad world when people can't just live and let live.

you are bitter because I am right...

one more reason for people to have their faces buried in smart phones and not interact with other humans...

^is salty because he can't even catch a ratitta...

That being said I think you haven't observed much of this game. I've never interacted with so many people. Whenever I'm out playing I'm talking to the people around me. I put a lure at the park and 7 people came, my gf and I just sat around with them catching pokemon and chit chatting. I guess it could be because I was around a college campus but still.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »

one more reason for people to have their faces buried in smart phones and not interact with other humans...

Or that's just your ignorant opinion.

I just went for a quick mile walk with a group of friends, we were all talking and laughing while catching Pokemon and stopping at the Pokestops. We were talking business the entire walk. Don't inflict your ancient outdated views on everyone else just because you can't hold a conversation while holding a phone.

Well the responses certainly have gotten nasty quickly... What's up with that.

I guess I struck a nerve; aka, too close to home...

People get angry when you insult them. It's a natural reaction and really has no bearing on whether or not you're right (you are not but that's neither here nor there).

i am not the one referring to people as ignorant...

I stated an opinion which is that it is sad that people need a smartphone app to want to get out and walk more...
  • ndj1979
    Options

That being said I think you haven't observed much of this game. I've never interacted with so many people. Whenever I'm out playing I'm talking to the people around me. I put a lure at the park and 7 people came, my gf and I just sat around with them catching pokemon and chit chatting. I guess it could be because I was around a college campus but still.

i don't need an app to get me to go out and interact with people.
  • biggyk87
    biggyk87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find finding geocaches is a lot more fun .
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app because of this forum. That said, I think it's a great thing to do as a family. My girls are 7 and 8: it's amazing to see their little minds work as they figure out how to get where they need to go. Definitely looking forward to getting some steps in with them again tonight. Anything that gets people up and moving is a PLUS!!!
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2016
    Options

i don't need an app to get me to go out and interact with people.

Yes, you are correct. You also don't need the internet to interact with people and discuss fitness. You don't need bars, clubs, restaurants, cinemas...etc to go out and have fun. You don't need any of the various entertainment options available for people when they go out. But they facilitate interactions and give you more options to do the same thing in different ways. I don't need to listen to audiobooks to walk, but I do it anyway because I enjoy it. You don't need nice scenery to go out for a run, you may as well just use the treadmill.

I don't think that it's sad people are enjoying their time doing something they happen to find enjoyable, and I don't think that your fun needs to be a specific kind to be considered fit for an adult. That cartoon I posted? Some people just don't get it. People will always socialize when they have the desire regardless of their gadgets, and they will always isolate themselves when they need to regardless of the lack of gadgets. It's just how humans work. I don't see how a computer screen is better than a phone screen for that purpose (other than that it's bigger and computer games are better)

computer screen vs a smart phone is not a valid comparison because they don't have the same portability.

One should want to go outside out of a sense of general purpose to improve overall health, enjoy actually being outsie, etc. It just seems sad that if the choice is a) stay in becuase I dont have this app or b) go outside becuase I found this app but I would not otherwise; that, that is a pretty sad commetary on the state of affairs.

yes, technology makes life easier and I use it everyday; however, it should not come down to the point where people are burried in their machines to the point where they are walking into canals in Birmingham, England..

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    biggyk87 wrote: »
    I find finding geocaches is a lot more fun .

I have the geocache app too but am sorely disappointed that you have to pay to play for some of them. There are very few in my area that are free. When I first discovered geocaching 10-ish years ago, I started with an old gps device and the website would give you the coordinates but all cache hunts were free.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For those Canadians who can't wait... look up Geopets... same concept only you have to battle to weaken and capture the pets... its even better than Pokemon Go for that reason (until Pokemon Go is available here anyway)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont play Im waiting for the bugs and other issues to be worked out first. not to mention I dont have unlimited data and really dont want to have to pay for more data to play a game just to get me up and moving more.but thats my decision. if others want to play so be it. not to mention living in a rural area with not much around there probably wouldnt be a whole lot of pokemon(we have less than 900 people and some places they would hide would probably be hard to get to,not to mention if you trespass around here you may get shot(no joke).
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I dont play Im waiting for the bugs and other issues to be worked out first. not to mention I dont have unlimited data and really dont want to have to pay for more data to play a game just to get me up and moving more.but thats my decision. if others want to play so be it. not to mention living in a rural area with not much around there probably wouldnt be a whole lot of pokemon(we have less than 900 people and some places they would hide would probably be hard to get to,not to mention if you trespass around here you may get shot(no joke).

They did just release a patch that's supposed to help. Also as an fyi it doesn't use too much data about 10mb per hour of playing.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time walking around, I've averaged at least 8k steps the last 4 days, and I plan on heading out again tonight, ugh! :lol: Also, I found there's a community group for us Trainers too! - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114944-pokemon-go-trainers
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

They did just release a patch that's supposed to help. Also as an fyi it doesn't use too much data about 10mb per hour of playing.

I crashed this morning, as did a friend of mine. :frowning: Hoping that overall the crashes are less. It did not seem to fix the glitch where it incorrectly updates the location of pokemon.