Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Overweight people are less intelligent than people who are do not have weight problems

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/13/fat-people-are-less-intelligent-than-those-who-are-overweight/?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/13/fat-people-are-less-intelligent-than-those-who-are-not-overweigh/?WTmcid=tmgoff_soc_spf_fb&WT.mc_id=sf30838983

Seriously, now overweight people are less intelligent?
Has anyone found the crap "paper" behind this? I have yet to locate ii. Thank you.

Overweight men and women have less grey and white matter in key areas of the brain, it suggests. They also have greater impulsiveness and "altered reward processing", the study said.

The researchers said that their findings could explain why overweight people make poor diet choices - they do not have the mental capacity to control themselves.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is intelligence? The way I understand it, it includes the ability to adapt to changes in environment. Our food environment has changed dramatically in a short time. It takes a mental effort to resist temptation and delay gratification. This article is written to sell, not to educate. It pushes our buttons, and we react quite predictably.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thank you all, I must admit to taking total
    Offence when reading this X
  • Bonny132
    Options
    So @Zipp237 are you including people who has had no food education (but might be very intelligent) who has an addiction or eating disorder, or who's depressed and comfort eats?

Are we saying all of the above are under normal intelligence?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So, in industrialized countries like ours - higher educational attainment tends to predict lower BMI. Conversely, obesity tends to predict a higher incidence of cognitive deficits, independent of other medical issues.

I don't think it paints a pretty picture, but I think it might be not completely out of the realm of reasonable to say that uneducated, unintelligent people are more likely to get fat, and also - being fat can make you dull (or maybe even demented).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23889851

"Although previous systematic reviews considered the relationship between socioeconomic status and obesity, almost 200 peer-reviewed articles have been published since the last review on that topic, and this paper focuses specifically on education, which has different implications. The authors systematically review the peer-reviewed literature from around the world considering the association between educational attainment and obesity. Databases from public health and medicine, education, psychology, economics, and other social sciences were searched, and articles published in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish were included. This paper includes 289 articles that report on 410 populations in 91 countries. The relationship between educational attainment and obesity was modified by both gender and the country's economic development level: an inverse association was more common in studies of higher-income countries and a positive association was more common in lower-income countries, with stronger social patterning among women. Relatively few studies reported on lower-income countries, controlled for a comprehensive set of potential confounding variables and/or attempted to assess causality through the use of quasi-experimental designs. Future research should address these gaps to understand if the relationship between educational attainment and obesity may be causal, thus supporting education policy as a tool for obesity prevention."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230681347_Etiology_and_PathophysiologyObesity_Prevention_A_review_of_the_association_between_obesity_and_cognitive_function_across_the_lifespan_implications_for_novel_approaches_to_prevention_and_treatmento_br_

"Recent research suggests that increased adiposity is associated with poor cogni-tive performance, independently of associated medical conditions. The evidence regarding this relationship is examined in this review article. A relatively consis-tent finding across the lifespan is that obesity is associated with cognitive deficits, especially in executive function, in children, adolescents and adults. However, as illustrated by contradictory studies, the relationship between obesity and cogni-tion is uncertain in the elderly, partly because of inaccuracy of body mass index as a measure of adiposity as body composition changes with aging. This review further discusses whether obesity is a cause or a consequence of these cognitive deficits, acknowledging the possible bidirectional relationship. The possible effects of increased adiposity on the brain are summarized. Our investigations suggest that weight gain results, at least in part, from a neurological predisposition characterized by reduced executive function, and in turn obesity itself has a compounding negative impact on the brain via mechanisms currently attributed to low-grade systemic inflammation, elevated lipids and/or insulin resistance. The possible role of cognitive remediation treatment strategies to prevent and/or treat obesity is discussed."
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    So @Zipp237 are you including people who has had no food education (but might be very intelligent) who has an addiction or eating disorder, or who's depressed and comfort eats?

"People who has had no food education who has an addiction or eating disorder, or who's depressed and overeats?"

I'm not sure.

We aren't saying anything together.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Zipp237 was trolling hard in another thread; wouldn't take their arguments too seriously.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ToxDocAR wrote: »
    That's funny. I'm fat with a Ph.D!! I must be an outlier! Oh, wait. I wouldn't know what an outlier is.... Silly me!

To be fair though, you are likely also doing something to fix your weight issue (assuming that you have one), which indicates that you have the ability to recognize, diagnose, and fix problems. Keep in mind that most here will be outliers. Also remember that there are millions of obese people not here, many not doing anything to fix their *kitten*, and just going on believing stupid stuff like "big boned", "undiagnosed thyroid problem", or "that guy who complained about my thighs knocking stuff off of shelves was just overreacting".
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    That's funny. I'm fat with a Ph.D!! I must be an outlier! Oh, wait. I wouldn't know what an outlier is.... Silly me!

To be fair though, you are likely also doing something to fix your weight issue (assuming that you have one), which indicates that you have the ability to recognize, diagnose, and fix problems. Keep in mind that most here will be outliers. Also remember that there are millions of obese people not here, many not doing anything to fix their *kitten*, and just going on believing stupid stuff like "big boned", "undiagnosed thyroid problem", or "that guy who complained about my thighs knocking stuff off of shelves was just overreacting".

Except a at one point she (and i) were people who were/are fat and doing " nothing " as you so politely described it. Did we become more intelligent for making weight loss a priority?

I think this study is a thinly veiled effort to justify bias. We've been seeing them since the advent of eugenics.

Prioritization is not indicative of ability, nor did I indicate that it was. The difference is that most don't actually appear to learn. They float from fad to fad, scam to scam, hoping that they'll eventually stumble upon the miracle pill that will let them keep eating 4000 kcals per day, while doing nothing, and get to sub-15%.
    I mean, let them have at it. They're great for money velocity. That doesn't mean that they aren't gullible as hell, with a distinct lack of critical thinking ability.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

Except a at one point she (and i) were people who were/are fat and doing " nothing " as you so politely described it. Did we become more intelligent for making weight loss a priority?

I think this study is a thinly veiled effort to justify bias. We've been seeing them since the advent of eugenics.

Prioritization is not indicative of ability, nor did I indicate that it was. The difference is that most don't actually appear to learn. They float from fad to fad, scam to scam, hoping that they'll eventually stumble upon the miracle pill that will let them keep eating 4000 kcals per day, while doing nothing, and get to sub-15%.
    I mean, let them have at it. They're great for money velocity. That doesn't mean that they aren't gullible as hell, with a distinct lack of critical thinking ability.

Did I read what you wrote accurately? All overweight people are "gullible as hell with a distinct lack of critical thinking ability."?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Did I read what you wrote accurately? All overweight people are "gullible as hell with a distinct lack of critical thinking ability."?

You seem to have missed some key words in what I wrote. "All" was also not among them.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You seem to have missed some key words in what I wrote. "All" was also not among them.

You said "most". Which is really, frankly, not a whole lot better.