• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why are you all on such low calories?

Height? Current weight? Activity?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    @Sued0nim I'm set to lose .5 per week. I am 138 pounds, 5' 4.75" and 48 years old. I have a sedentary job. My maintenance according to mfp is 1580 so a 250 deficit gives me 1330. I am trying to transition to maintenance so this week I added 100 calories to my goal. I do eat back most of my fitbit adjustment so I usually eat around 1600 per day and I'm still losing slowly. I'm 3 pounds from goal so I am starting to add in more calories. I hope to end up with a maintenance around 1800-2000. I don't think it is necessary for most people to go down to the minimum calorie limit, but some people need to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Sued0nim I'm set to lose .5 per week. I am 138 pounds, 5' 4.75" and 48 years old. I have a sedentary job. My maintenance according to mfp is 1580 so a 250 deficit gives me 1330. I am trying to transition to maintenance so this week I added 100 calories to my goal. I do eat back most of my fitbit adjustment so I usually eat around 1600 per day and I'm still losing slowly. I'm 3 pounds from goal so I am starting to add in more calories. I hope to end up with a maintenance around 1800-2000. I don't think it is necessary for most people to go down to the minimum calorie limit, but some people need to.

1600 is a decent calorie amount for weight loss IMHO
  • charestcr
    charestcr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am at about the same calorie allotment and I really enjoy eating, so I work my butt off in my workouts and eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories. So far, that is working for me. Also, I tend to eat a lot of the same things- especially during the week- so it is easier to know how many calories each meal and snack usually takes and plan around that. So I would recommend finding 1-3 go-to breakfasts, lunches and snacks that are the calories that will allow you to have what you want for supper.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1370 calories per day. I take about 350 of those for breakfast, which is the only time I really eat fruit which gives me 1000 between lunch and dinner. I find that plenty for two meals without even try to go low fat. I walk a fair bit, too, so often get another 200 to play with if I want wine it.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Take a look at that 700 or more calories you're eating before lunch and figure out what you can cut.

Eat lower calorie foods. Try more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, that kind of thing. Stay full, stay healthy, lose weight and eat a LOT of food.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am at about the same calorie goal, and I don't eat fruit because it uses too many calories for the amount of food I get. I fill up on protein and vegetables. Maybe cut back to one or 2 small pieces of fruit a day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1350, but generally eat back a decent amount of my exercise calories (300-800 a day). My diary's open to friends--send me a request if you want and you can go poking around. :smiley:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If I didn't walk like crazy I would be eating about 1400 cals/day. I eat about 1000-1400 cals during the day as frequent tiny meals and snacks, and whatever I earn from exercise I use for evening snacks and my weekend bank. You can look at my diary if you like. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry earlier in the day or later in the day? Eat a smaller dinner or change and eat a smaller breakfast or lunch.
    I get hungrier later in the day. I prelog my day and eat more in the evening. 500 calories for the evening isn't terrible though. Eat more vegetables in the evening.

Stuff I eat:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat less food, eat less calorie dense food, plan your meals so you have calories left for dinner, exercise more. There are is a plethora of solutions for you.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Another thought you could try is skipping breakfast to save those calories for later. Some people can do it, others can not. It's called intermittent fasting if you want to look into it.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The one thing that keeps me on track is prelogging. I log my breakfast, lunch and dinner the night before. That way I know exactly how much wiggle room I have for snacks. Also, I'm an evening snacker, so I plan on saving a couple hundred calories for night time because I know I'll want them. Plan ahead!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do better if I eat more often. Staples--Weight Watchers lite string cheese, Stacy's bagel chips, Pecan crackers, saltines, bagels, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, loaf bread, breakfast strips, bacon, eggs, nonfat milk, nonfat Greek yogurt, Luna Protein bars. Shaved turkey breast and ham, tuna. Bananas. Guacamole 100 calorie cups.

I eat crackers often because they have about the same calories as bread but take so long to eat, esp. the bagel chips. The WW string cheese is just awesome--drier because it's low-fat. I like that it's drier because it's even stringyer. I get the jalapeno. 50 calories, about 6 grams of protein. Laughing Cow wedges are stupid good--35-50 calories. Bacon is very low in calories, so are breakfast strips. Deli meat is low in calories. I use Land o Lakes lite butter. It tastes good but is half the calories of butter.

I know none of this sounds at all "healthy," but I have lost weight eating frequent small meals. I feel less deprived.

• milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I normally plan all my food for the day so I know that I will be within my quota for the whole day. I am currently set to 1210 cals per day but with exercise this increases slightly. I have an open diary if you would like to take a look :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Try giving yourself more volume. If you think you're eating a lot of food, you might be less hungry. Big salads, lots of veggies in my egg whites (and in general--I've been known to eat a bag of frozen broccoli in a day (cooking it first :wink: )) and especially riced cauliflower really help me. I tend to be a volume eater.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about Intermittent Fasting. Waiting to eat your first meal until 12/1 and finish eating by 9. I do that so I can eat more at dinner time. I have some coffee in the morning.I eat "breakfast" at 12. Lunch at 2:30. Another Meal/snack at 5. Dinner between 7-9. 3, 300 calorie "meals" and 600 calorie dinner. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hmvanwink wrote: »
    Another thought you could try is skipping breakfast to save those calories for later. Some people can do it, others can not. It's called intermittent fasting if you want to look into it.

This is what I do, i haven't 'eaten' breakfast for years. I do drink lots of cups of tea with milk, so i get fullness but low calories. Breakfast is wasted calories for me, as it just makes me hungrier all day, plus i would rather save my calories for dinner and dessert.
  • rhiannongrindley
    rhiannongrindley Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hmvanwink wrote: »

This is what I do, i haven't 'eaten' breakfast for years. I do drink lots of cups of tea with milk, so i get fullness but low calories. Breakfast is wasted calories for me, as it just makes me hungrier all day, plus i would rather save my calories for dinner and dessert.

Exactly...I'm fine till the second I eat, then constantly hungry. I try to have a mid morning snack (banana or something similar) just to keep me going. Other than that I drink coffee or water till around lunch time. Sometimes I'll have breakfast but during week this routine is easier for me.