This is me now at 24st 1lb I hate myself

Options

Replies

• musicsax
    musicsax Posts: 4,331 Member
    Options
    You've made a start, keep positive, if you want to do it you can. I used to hate myself too and be so depressed, but you can get help. If you live in the UK contact your doctor you should be able to get some vouchers to use at Weight watchers or Slimming World, quite a few men attend these meetings now and you will receive the help and support to get you through your journey. You've made the first big step by deciding that you want to do something about it and the second by losing your first 7 pounds.
    Keep going my friend the struggle is well worth the rewards that you will quickly notice.
  • hikernut53
    hikernut53 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Remember that losing weight will help with your diabetes, and your back pain. You CAN do it!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start!

Like everyone else said, don't be hating on yourself. Improving your health is one of the kindest things you can do for yourself, so treat your soul accordingly. Forgive yourself for the past and if you start getting into the "I've made bad choices" mindset just tell yourself, "But I'm making better choices now."

All of this. :) Yes, you made some poor choices and you don't like where they've led you, but you've recognised that and you've started the process of change. I know it's hard not to think in terms of "hating yourself" when you don't like the way you look, but try to find more positive ways of phrasing your desire for change.

7lbs is a great start, and every additional pound will improve your health and fitness. It might be slow progress at times, but keep at it and you will get there eventually! If you have a day of poor food choices don't beat yourself up about it - accept it and move on, get back on track the next day or next meal.

Don't worry too much about not being able to do much activity right now - I would have to respectfully disagree with the folks above who said weight loss is 80% diet. In my opinion it's 100% diet! :) Activity helps with fitness and can give you a few extra calories for food, but for now just concentrate on your calorie intake and you WILL lose weight if you're eating less than you burn. You might find that your back improves when you have less weight to carry around, and you may feel able to do more activity after a while. If you can manage some gentle walking regularly then that could help, but don't push it if you're in pain. (You can also look up exercises for disabled people/limited mobility/etc on YouTube, if you want to try something else.)

Just take it easy and be kind to yourself - it took time to get where you are now, it'll take time to get back to a healthy weight. We're rooting for you! :)
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hello & welcome, you have come to the right place. There is plenty of support on here for all ages & sizes so please dont hate yourself. Its a change in lifestyle which may take some time to get into, Im 62 and thought I am too old to start dieting again, so I am not!! I am having a change of lifestyle & a healthy eating plan too. I too have lost 7 lbs but I am losing inches too. Take it one day at a time and get yourself a mantra like. ....I am worth it, I am a nice person inside & out...... believe in yourself me duck, you can add me as a friend & we can chivvy each other along. Good luck xx
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have been there. Good luck with everything :smile: Mind over matter!
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Someone once told me to keep the worst photos of me in places I'm likely to go to for comfort or boredom...like the fridge or the cupboard. Believe me, it works. When I started associating the way I looked with what I put in my body, I realised I had no one else to blame but myself for the mess I was in. I have a very long way to go but I can now enjoy the "naughty" things but I can get straight back on the band wagon the day after. I just don't make it habit that I have those "naughty" things as often as I had done before (and had had mindlessly in the past). I now know what choices I should be making and I've found very good, satisfying alternatives when I know I shouldn't touch more calorific foods.

I've literally devoured domino's pizza tonight and feel extremely uncomfortable...but I did that to myself and tomorrow morning I'll hit the gym (both for pleasure and punishment). I might not see the scales move this week but one naughty night isn't going to change my body shape drastically or damage my entire efforts and journey. I'm still going to be inches smaller, so remember not to deprive yourself, just cut back and get moving.

Your loss already is proof it can and will happen. Don't be so down or hard on yourself. Mind over matter and positive thoughts will get you a long way. There are plenty of inspiring, friendly and helpful people on here, so join them and let them be your motivation and your ear to bend when you're feeling low.

Feel free to add me and remember to keep smiling. You can do anything you put your mind to
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I have also cut right down with my meals during the week and don't eat sweets or crisps (well maybe 1 pack of 97 cal potato crisps once or twice a week instead of per night

^^^^this
    See? You're already making little changes! All of them add up to a big change.
    I've read in plenty of places on here before to not try too much at once because it's easier to fail that way. This is true for me but not all are the same. For example, cutting calories, logging everything, buying a food scale, exercising, eating more vegetables, counting macros, cutting out soda....the list goes on and on...all at the same time is enough to overwhelm anyone! Please stick with whatever goal you have going on, no matter how big or small you think it is. And then recognize yourself for it!

Please keep checking in here too, everyone is so wonderfully supportive and EVERYONE has bad days or weeks. Just keep going!
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Good!
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey listen don't hate yourself! You deserve love and that includes self love. You started a journey to healthy and that's amazing. Stay strong, okay? Love yourself <3
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Thank you Joans1976, your right everyone here is awesome and so supportive to me today I've just completed my diary for today and If every day were like today I'd weigh 22 st 10 lbs in 5 weeks so here's hoping and fingers crossed

You're doing great, keep it up! No matter what you lose in the next weeks, months, it's a victory! Keep being proud of yourself and please keep us posted!
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's a great loss, well done :)

You can definitely keep it up.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your advice and support, I have been told by my wife that i'm too hard on myself and I need to stop it as i'm going to do myself damage but after seeing that photo of myself today really shocked me as I never thought of myself like that before.

I'm just not happy and don't know what I can do, I am disabled with chronic back pain and use a walking stick when I go out a few weeks ago I had to go to the doctor who referred me to the Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic due to having chest pains and shortness of breath.

Thankfully the tests on my heart came back clear and I got told I have Pre-Diabetes and need to lose weight, since getting that news I have pushed and pushed to try and walk more to exercise and I can only manage about 0.8 miles but i'm desperate to get over the 1 mile point of walking and just can't do it.

So I feel like i'm burning myself out as my mind is telling me I need to walk more because i'm too fat and ugly but my bodies telling me I can't do it because of the pain i'm in but if I rest up i'm frightened I'll seize up.

I saw this video by a disabled person who lost over 100 pounds doing yoga after he was injured in the military. Maybe this would help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

i just watched the video, thank you Samantha for sharing with me all I can say is WOW, well done that guy, it's made me even more determined to fight this, infact I'm actually surprised with myself as we bought a pork roasting joint for sunday dinner and as you know it always has the big piece of fat on it, well I usually eat all that fat once the joints been cooked but today even looking at it made me actually feel sick, I refused to eat it cut it all off and it's now in the dogs bowl instead of my stomach. :smiley:

Good for you! And your dog is probably happy, too! I have watched that video in the past, from a different forum/post -- it IS excellent and gave me goosebumps.
  • scotth34
    scotth34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay out of dark places. Feed your mind as well as your body with good mental and physical nutrition.
  • ellenaj52
    ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this past February. My grandmother, mother, uncle, and sister
    had the disease. I had to see a diabetic nutritionist. I am ignoring most of the advice she gave me as she
    was telling me I could have 2-4 servings of carb per meal!@ I could have told her that is too much! I have
    lowered my carbs to about 20% per day. This comes out to be (one carb is equivalent to 15 grams of ca
    carbohydrate per meal.) about 75 grams of carbohydrate per day and no more at this point. I am losing
    slowly for the first time in my life....I follow the advice of Doctor Mark Hyman. You can google him. Do
    not eat low\-fat, but instead include some healthy fats at each meal. Exercise as much as you can, eat
    regular meals. Do not over feed at one meal. Too much food at one time even from healthy alternatives
    can raise your blood sugar. Fat does not cause heart disease. They have proven that to be false it is the
    sugar and carb that is the culprit. I am on no medication...and hope to keep it that way!