Craving mexican food...

Options
kaaatielove
kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
I've had the worst craving for mexican food.. tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.. (before i started dieting, i never even ate this type of food.. i dont know whats going on with me)..... does anyone have any ideas or recipes to help satisfy my cravings? Thank you! :)

Replies

• trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    Try detoxing to eliminate the cravings from your body.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love Mexican and would love to read about some lower cal alternatives :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I never gave up Mexican food because it is my favorite food. Make it with healthy ingredients: extra lean ground turkey, vegetarian refried beans, low fat or non-fat cheese, and whole grain flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Measure your portions and do not fry your tortillas, just warm them in a pan or with a tortilla warmer in the microwave.
  • kaaatielove
    Options
    Try detoxing to eliminate the cravings from your body.

I tried detoxing... i still had cravings. :(
    I just want to get some ideas on low cal/ low carb recipes so i can satisfy my craving, and not feel like i cheated myself.
    Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • ShabbyAbby007
    ShabbyAbby007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for Chilli!

I large bag of Quorn Mince (meat substiute- I'm in England, don't know if it's available in the US)
    2 cans Red Kidney Beans
    1 can of sweet corn
    4 cans of chopped tomatoes
    2 packets of Old El Paso Chilli Seasoning.

Cook the Quorn mince, dump in all the other ingredients bring to the boil and viola! Fast, easy, and so low in fat an calories you won't believe it!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Salsa is low/no fat. Fish tacos with soft corn tortillas could be a low fat option. Love chips? Count them out so you know how many you can eat rather than eating blindly from the bowl.

You can eat Mexican...just modify it and choose healthy. Bank your calories for the day. Do extra exercise. Live your life. This should be a lifestyle change not constant deprivation.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post a great idea for low cal nachos on here recently

2 bags Walkers baked crisps
    Salsa
    Low fat cheese
    Pulses of your choice

The pulses make it very filling and it's delicious. I've used mixed pulses, cannellini beans, leftover 4 bean salad and kidney beans and all have worked wonderfully. The baked crisps make a great tortilla chip substitute.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can use Ortega whole grain taco shells...they are 2 for 110 claories with 6 grams of fiber and either put a couple ounces of ground beef (94/6) in each or chopped chicken breast. (You can use the taco seasoning packs as they don't have too much calorie or sodium...I think they even make one with less sodium)...top with lettuce, tomato, light sprinkle of cheese if you have to have cheese and if you want sour cream, use plain fat free greek yogurt instead. Way better for you and way less calories.
    Also, for "spanish rice" I make a serving of Minute brown rice and add 1/2 a cup of salsa to it while it's cooking...to me, it tastes the same, if not better than regular spanish rice because I know it's better for me. I get my fix without all the "bad" stuff.
    Good luck!
  • kaaatielove
    Options

I large bag of Quorn Mince (meat substiute- I'm in England, don't know if it's available in the US)
    2 cans Red Kidney Beans
    1 can of sweet corn

Cook the Quorn mince, dump in all the other ingredients bring to the boil and viola! Fast, easy, and so low in fat an calories you won't believe it!

I've never heard of Quorn Mince, but im sure i can find some kind of meat substitute, if not i'll use low fat ground turkey or something. This recipe seems easy and sounds good.. i'll give it a shot. Thank you!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

2 cans Red Kidney Beans
    1 can of sweet corn

That's a hefty batch of chilli!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Any vegetarian mince meat substitute works in place of the quorn. It's lower calorie, lower fat and super low on cholesterol. I was using it even before I became veggie!
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    I always give this recipe because it literally is the easiest thing you will ever make in your life. Take 1-2 lbs of organic chicken breasts. Put them in the crockpot, pour a jar of your favorite salsa on top. Cook for 3-4 hours on slow/low.

The chicken literally shredds apart, add to a whole wheat tortilla, daisy reduced fat sour cream, kraft reduced fat colby jack shredded cheese, and a hint of lime juice.

All about 300-450 calories, based on 3 tacos.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    My friend was just raving about quinoa and bean burritos he made... I thought it sounded good
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Make this! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279757-black-bean-fajita-bowl-yum

It's what I'm having for dinner tonight! :smile:
  • kaaatielove
    Options
    I always give this recipe because it literally is the easiest thing you will ever make in your life. Take 1-2 lbs of organic chicken breasts. Put them in the crockpot, pour a jar of your favorite salsa on top. Cook for 3-4 hours on slow/low.

The chicken literally shredds apart, add to a whole wheat tortilla, daisy reduced fat sour cream, kraft reduced fat colby jack shredded cheese, and a hint of lime juice.

All about 300-450 calories, based on 3 tacos.

yummm!!! that sounds soo fabulous!
    Thank you everyone for the feedback!! keep it coming, im sure im not the only one that would like some low cal mexican ideas.. =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Toss about a pound of chicken tenderloins in a crock pot with sliced red and green peppers and onions (I use a bag of frozen one), some frozen corn (lower sodium than canned), dry black beans (also lower in sodium than canned), and block of frozen spinach. Season with a half cup of salsa, and ground cumin and cilantro to taste. Let cook on medium about 5 hours, then stir in a cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese.

It'll taste like the inside of Chili's southwest eggrolls, and you should easily 4-5 meals out of it. I have it in fresh whole wheat tortillas like fajitas, or baked the tortillas for enchilladas. Over brown rice is delicious, too. Or crumble a handful of tortilla chips over it. Ten chips is about 150 calories, and in my opinion, well worth it! :smile:
  • ShabbyAbby007
    ShabbyAbby007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters with hefty appetites!! LOL But it keeps well in fridge for a week!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I made a huge pot of what I call "fiesta black beans" and they work out to 100g servings for 74 calories and low fat. 2-16 oz bags of black beans, soaked for 24 hours. Put the beans, a jar of your favorite red salsa and 1/3 jar salsa verde, small can (3 peppers) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, a few splashes of Chipotle Tabasco (about 2-3 tablespoons). Cook on low for 18-20 hours. Spicy and yummy.

Use this as a base on your soft tortilla - I found La Tortilla factory 100 calorie tortillas that are fabulous. I put about 1/2 serving of the fiest black beans, lettuce onion, tomato, and cooked ground turkey or chunks of baked chicken (about 1 ounce) and then just drizzle a pinch of Mexican style cheese on top before you fold it up...

The tomatoes were juice enough that I didn't require sour cream - which is good because I really like sour cream.

I also mix this bean recipe with a serving of Mahatma Jasmine rice - oh my - unbelievably filling! (and I never seem to be full!) One serving of rice and one serving of the beans and 3 ounces of baked chicken without skin - and you can't move (it's like after a huge Thanksgiving dinner!):smile:
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    This is so easy and delicious:

I cook up either a package of lean ground beef or ground turkey with a package of low-sodium taco seasoning. Then once the meat is cooked, melt a serving of low fat cheese on top, add lettuce and tomato (any other garnish you'd like), some salsa and either low fat sour cream or a touch of ranch dressing. You could use baked tortilla chips or whole wheat tortillas with it but I usually have it without for less carbs. It is soooooo GOOD!!!!
  • natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican as well and read in a book that if going out to eat always stick with fajitias and just skip the tortillas or just have one instead of three or four. Also avoid the sour cream and eat the guacomole. I feed the rice to my son,and hopefully skip the chips they put on the table.