What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Depends. People who struggle to keep weight on have a struggle, too. Different, but not easy. It's especially hard for small men who have trouble getting buff when that's what they really want.
    If they aren't getting buff, it's because they aren't consuming the calories needed to do it. And while many may have a higher metabolic rate, math still applies. Eat more than your TDEE consistently and you'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or it's because they're short guys who are small-boned and will just never be tall or very muscular.
    Disagree. There are lots of male bodybuilders today under 5'6".
    Believe it or not, it is difficult for some people to keep their weight up. Maybe you studied that when studying nutrition? It's usually included.
    Dependent on calorie intake. It's basic math. The whole "naturally lean" thing is a myth (unless there's some underlying health issue). Eat more than one's TDEE consistently and they will gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    You won't convince that nobody struggles to keep weight on because I know better.
    Yes, anecdotes surely are better evidence than actual science and clinical studies. ;) Not trying to convince you, just debating against your opinions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    It's not opinion, it's fact. I'm surprised that when you studied nutrition it wasn't covered. I'm not debating it because it's ridiculous.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My husband and his family are naturally slim. But there's a "catch" they don't eat as much, only eat when they are actually hungry and are pretty active just day to day. I don't know about his siblings but my husband works out to a 400-600 calorie burn pretty much daily.

But he and his 1 brother, 3 sisters all are built very slim and look great. I don't think I could healthily get 110 pounds and still look good.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As a 'naturally' thin person, I'll tell you that there really isn't anything special about our genetics. Before counting calories I used to think I was genetically blessed. In high school, I could eat entire bags of chips, quarts (yes quarts) of ice cream, and family size trays of lasagna and still be underweight. But now as I'm older, I realize that even though I ate like garbage, my metabolism wasn't any different than anyone elses'. I was a gymnast and would have practice 10-14hrs a week. In addition I also had the tendency to skip breakfast and dinner. So even though people would see me eating massive amounts of food, that could very well be the only thing I ate all day. Unless you live with someone 24/7, you don't know a person's eating habits. And even if you did know a person's eating habits, it's none of your business.

This is pretty much me too. I always thought I was "naturally" thin person until I started using mfp and the TDEE method and realized my TDEE was right on track with estimates. I grew up on junk food and lots of it but was skinny because I played sports and practiced several hours a day. I also have always been attune to a change in my weight. When I went off to college and started gaining because I stopped playing sports, I noticed the weight gain within 5-10 lbs and added some exercise and didn't eat quite so much. I have stayed within a 10-15 lb range my entire life (besides pregnancies) because I always notice when I am going up and do something about it, either structured diet or just not gorging myself and exercising more. After each kid I worked hard to get back to the number I was at before. So it is not that I have never had to work for it, but I only thought about my weight when it was going up and otherwise ate what I wanted.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Idk. My cousin has an ectomorph build. According to her, she tries to gain weight but has not been successful so far even after 4 children she still doesn't have any curves. Genetically blessed? If you like that shape I guess. BTW her Mom was that way too, now in her 50's she's fat. Not even curvy fat, just shapeless fat.

People think I'm genetically thin just because I've never been overweight. (I used to weigh 118 before my twins in my 20's) What they don't know, is I've always been active and for most of my life and I've never just eaten whatever I want. Although last winter was an exception. I tried that for the first time and gained nearly 14lbs in a month. The good thing is, with dedication, I lost that weight. I don't mind eating right and exercising. I feel better and look better. So I think I pulled the long straw!

Bottom line is, I don't envy anyone! You don't know what they deal with behind closed doors.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Most stores have offers on ice cream.

Anyone who think's they're 'naturally slim' or 'have the genetics' can easily disprove that to themselves by sinking a few tubs of Ben and Jerry's a day.

If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I used to not understand how thin people were thin and I was fat, until I started logging calories and realizing that even though I thought my skinny friends were eating a lot, I wasn't with them ALL day. In fact they ate a lot lighter than me and probably didn't binge as hard.

Now I kind of wish that I was raised like some of my slim friends, that I could be happy eating the amount to maintain my weight. But I'm not. I want to eat more.

On the other hand, my slim friends don't have great body compositions. I'd much rather have mine.

You look great! Werk it!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I used to not understand how thin people were thin and I was fat, until I started logging calories and realizing that even though I thought my skinny friends were eating a lot, I wasn't with them ALL day. In fact they ate a lot lighter than me and probably didn't binge as hard.

Now I kind of wish that I was raised like some of my slim friends, that I could be happy eating the amount to maintain my weight. But I'm not. I want to eat more.

On the other hand, my slim friends don't have great body compositions. I'd much rather have mine.

You look great! Werk it!!

Thanks. I'm heavy AF though :( Weighed in at 142 this am. Blah.