Is milk bad for me?

Options
Last week I watched a movie "Forks over Knives" about the benefits of a vegan diet. The movie referenced several doctors/researchers who state that drinking milk is as bad as eating meat and may actually be worse. According to the research milk actually makes the body acidotic and calcium has to be leached from the bones to neutralize the acidosis. Giving up meat would be hard enough (but doable), but giving up dairy would be very difficult for me. The FDA actually recommends dairy. But does the FDA actually have my back? Opinions?

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I drink milk (albeit skim)...but I also take extra calcium too. I couldn't be a vegan..I like cheese too much.
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    Don't believe everything you see on tv, on a video or in a theater. Likewise, don't believe everything you read. So what can you believe? Your doctor, your nutritionist, your dietitian, or heck... even your pharmacist! This is actual medical advice that you're asking for. The only people qualified to give medical advice are those with a medical degree that are familiar with your medical history.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you see on tv, on a video or in a theater. Likewise, don't believe everything you read. So what can you believe? Your doctor, your nutritionist, your dietitian, or heck... even your pharmacist! This is actual medical advice that you're asking for. The only people qualified to give medical advice are those with a medical degree that are familiar with your medical history.

If there was a Like button, I would click it on this. Agreed!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Can't say whether the FDA has your back, but I'd like to think they do. IMHO, cutting ANY food group out of your diet (carbs, dairy, etc) isn't a good idea. My husband was vegetarian for 12 years (not vegan, thank goodness!) but had all sorts of health related issues from it. Completely threw off his hormone/chemical balances. Movies like that I always take with a grain of salt - they're preaching their agenda, and will be bias.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The only type of milk I'll drink is hemp milk. I have heard from a few people who research a lot of it (not scientists or anything, just people very involved with health and fitness) and they said humans don't need cow milk. He mentioned something about humans being the only ones to drink milk after infancy or something along those lines. Basically saying, after breast milk, we really have no need for milk and that it really isn't that great for us. A few years ago I had to stop drinking milk due to randomly becoming lactose intolerance, which was weird because I usually always had milk and I can still have any type of dairy product, except milk. If you do decide to stop dairy all together, just take it one step at a time. Don't stop all at once or it won't last.
  • meagmatt
    meagmatt Posts: 17
    Options
    People were drinking diary long before there was an FDA to have an opinion. People also drank dairy long before obesity was epidemic. Eat less, move more.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Often groups that create movies like those will come from groups promoting an agenda. The will also pick and choose studies and research that backs their agenda although there may be other reasearch that says othewise. Unfortunately, the FDA is just another group with an agenda. Even different doctors will tell you different things.

I think it's best to stick with what makes your body feel good. People have been drinking milk since the beginning of time, I would hate to think it's bad for you.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Soymilk for the win! Silk
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion regarding cows milk, is that it is designed for baby cows! I have trouble digesting it so I know my philosophy works for me! That said, milk from organically fed and well treated cows is what I would drink if I did drink milk!!
  • MissVV
    MissVV Posts: 19
    Options
    It is true that too much protein - eg milk/dairy can leech calcium out of your bones to balance the acidity produced from all the protein and keep your blood pH constant. But this applies to large amounts of milk and over a period of time to have a significant effect. A glass or two/yoghurt or two is beneficial to your bone density, I don't think it's worth losing sleep over.
    Best of luck!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    First off, that doesn't even make sense. Calcium does not neutralize acid. Basic chemistry right there.

'Several' doctors saying milk is bad for you pales greatly in comparison to the 'hundreds' of doctors saying drink up!

Just take it for what it is: a calorie rich liquid full of fat, sugar, calcium, and vitamin d. Don't worry about anything else.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Last week I watched a movie "Forks over Knives" about the benefits of a vegan diet. The movie referenced several doctors/researchers who state that drinking milk is as bad as eating meat and may actually be worse. According to the research milk actually makes the body acidotic and calcium has to be leached from the bones to neutralize the acidosis. Giving up meat would be hard enough (but doable), but giving up dairy would be very difficult for me. The FDA actually recommends dairy. But does the FDA actually have my back? Opinions?

I don’t believe that for a second. Most baby mammals are fed milk by their mother from the day they are born. Now I know that this is not a one to one comparison to humans drinking cow’s milk, but com on. Consider the source, of course they don’t want you to drink milk, they are selling veganism. You wouldn’t go to Lowes and expect them to tell you that Home Depot was just as good would you?

Personally, I drink at least 16oz of whole milk per day. I eat full fat cottage cheese, and full fat yogurt. I am still losing weight,and my heart, bones, etc.. are all healthy.
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options

I am in no way asking for medical advice. I was asking about your opinions about drinking milk. You do not have to have an MD after your name to read research about nutrition and discuss it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have and enjoy my whole milk from cows, and when I have my property may well have goats for milk as well / instead. I drink hemp and almond milk when I want a flavour difference. I choose not to touch soy milk that seems to be more dangerous to me than the cows milk.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question. The USDA and FDA actually promote milk consumption solely because most Americans don't get enough calcium and milk has a lot of calcium in it. But there is conflicting evidence as to whether milk and other dairy products are good for you.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I choose not to touch soy milk that seems to be more dangerous to me than the cows milk.

Agreed. I'll pass on the estrogen laced coffee creamer.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options

Sure, if your end goal is moobs.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I gave up dairy a while back, and it has helped my allergies enormously.

Personally, I have heard way too many bad things about milk/dairy to be comfortable drinking it. The FDA says to drink it largely for calcium and vitamin D, but if you look at most milk containers, you'll see that it is calcium- and vitamin D-fortified; it's not really in there!

Consider this: Humans are the ONLY animals on the planet who drink the milk of another animal. We need it for development in the first years of life, but doctors have found that our bodies stop producing the hormones to metabolize even human milk at about the age of 3 to 5 (which would be why so many people become lactose intolerant later in life).

Bottom line, you have to do what feels right for you, and I have never found compelling reasons to drink milk, but plenty of reasons not to.
  • paulmg1234
    Options
    I gave up dairy a while back, and it has helped my allergies enormously.

Personally, I have heard way too many bad things about milk/dairy to be comfortable drinking it. The FDA says to drink it largely for calcium and vitamin D, but if you look at most milk containers, you'll see that it is calcium- and vitamin D-fortified; it's not really in there!

Consider this: Humans are the ONLY animals on the planet who drink the milk of another animal. We need it for development in the first years of life, but doctors have found that our bodies stop producing the hormones to metabolize even human milk at about the age of 3 to 5 (which would be why so many people become lactose intolerant later in life).

Bottom line, you have to do what feels right for you, and I have never found compelling reasons to drink milk, but plenty of reasons not to.

Great points! Thank you.
  • paulmg1234
    Options

Sure, if your end goal is moobs.

Hehehe. Yeah it does seem that there is more and more evidence that soymilk may not be the healthiest alternative.