10 lbs in 4 weeks?

Keriann23
Keriann23 Posts: 37 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
HI everyone! I am looking to finalize my weight loss in the next 4 weeks. I have a trip coming up that I have been working towards and I still have 10 more lbs till my FINAL goal! I have hit many along the way. I would like to hear some hints, tips, ideas and plans for knocking the last 10 lbs out. I am definatly at a plateau so any advice would help.

Here let me tell you more about my journey and how im where I am so you can use that to base responses off of

1. I lost 78 lbs over 1.5 years (however I did stop TRYING for about 4-6 months while going through a divorce, so I stayed at 25-30 lbs lost for that long, then after started up again)
2. Diet and exercise.
3. now I am going to the gym 4-5 times a week (sometimes 7 times if I can squeeze a trip in the morning before work in)
4. at the gym I start with weights and strength. Legs, lunges, squats and weight machines. 2-3 reps each, then arms, same reps
5. then I hit a cardio machine, normally elipical for 20 min at level 4 or tredmil, alternating jogging (new for me) and speed walking at a 1.5 incline 3.0 mph, jogging goes to 3.5-4.0
6. Diet, black coffee in the morning, protein filled breakfast, egg whites and cheese.
7. lunch, rice cakes, peanutbutter, and veggies
8. snack, humus and veggies
9. dinner varies, haven't had takeout or fast food in weeks.

I would LOVE to lose those extra 10 lbs in 4 weeks, any modifications that you think would work?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I don't think your plan is realistic. It took you 18 months to lose 78 pounds. That averages 4.33 pounds per month. Surely the rate was faster than that in the beginning and then slowed toward the end. Now that you are much leaner, it's not reasonable or healthy or optimal to try to more than double that rate.
  • Keriann23
    Keriann23 Posts: 37 Member
    I forgot put that I did stop TRYING for about 4-6 months while going through a divorce, so I stayed at 25-30 lbs lost for that long, then after started up again
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    if you really wanted to do it as a temporary thing you could drop 90% of the carbs out of your diet and you will drop a lot of water weight, but when you go back to eating carbs you will gain it back. I would not recommend this as you would be pretty miserable.

As others have said, ten pounds in four weeks is unrealistic. You can probably get halfway there and maybe drop five if you work pretty hard at it i.e. strict logging, strict intake, strict training...

I would also suggest getting on a structured lifting program at some point, as the routine you listed seems a bit all over the place...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    ammo7 wrote: »
    I agree with others who have addressed that the goal might not be very realistic, and so I would just like to add:

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I hope that you won't be disappointed if you lose "only" 4lb over the next few weeks, instead of your goal of 10lb. You have made such awesome progress, and you deserve to be proud of yourself even if you don't quite reach the exact scale number. I bet you're healthier/fitter/stronger now than you were before...and I bet you look so fantastic that the possible 6lb difference won't be noticed by others.

Instead of potentially feeling lethargic from creating a such a big deficit to lose 10lb so quickly, you could lose 0.5lb per week and start your trip feeling energized, with glowing skin and healthy hair (these suffer if we're at too much of a deficit for a while).

I wish you all the best with your goals (whether you reach your goal in 4 weeks, or in more weeks than that).

Totally this. I'm with you in that I have about 10 lbs to go to reach my goal. It's tough to be that close because you really want to be "done". At my current spot, though, I couldn't imagine doing the kind of deficit and workouts it would take to lose that much that quickly. Plus, that 10 lbs won't make or break your trip..I'll bet you will still enjoy yourself either way! No one is going to be the wiser. Having that 78 lbs off makes the bigger difference anyway. You should definitely be proud of that, celebrate it, and spend less time worrying about meeting deadlines. You've lost at a good, healthy rate so far...no need to stop that now. It'll still be there even when you get back from your trip. If you even lose 2-4 lbs by then, that's perfectly awesome!
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    I understand that targets are great but after losing so much, if you are 5lbs off then you see still massively improved.

Keep going as you are and if it happens by Christmas you can be happy then.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,527 Member
    Congratulations on your loss so far!

Sounds like an amazing effort, especially given that you didn't backtrack when things weren't going as well in your personal life.

+1 on what everyone is saying. Honestly? I would be more concerned with consolidating the great losses I've made than with getting to "goal".

I mean... what happens when you get to goal? What are you planning to change?

Are you planning on eating and exercising or moving differently? If you are... how is that going to affect your weight?
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Are you really hitting the gym seven times per week to do only 2 -3 reps per body part? While it won't help you lose another 10 pounds in four weeks, I'd definitely recommend doing more. If it's a matter of not having enough time, you could split to upper body and lower body days.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Everyone can lose 10 pounds in a month. High protein, tons of veggies and water. Exercise everyday for 30-60 minutes including cardio.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Everyone can lose 10 pounds in a month. High protein, tons of veggies and water. Exercise everyday for 30-60 minutes including cardio.

I would be lucky to lose 1 pound in a month doing this and I exercise 60+ minutes at a time,and a lot of time get my steps in.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

Not if they want that 10 lbs to be fat. At my weight there is no way I could lose 10 lbs in a healthy manner in a month. I just did the math it it would require me eating like 1000 calories with my current routine of 12 hrs of exercise a week. A week or two of that would probably land me in the hospital. Not to mention a large portion of that loss would be from my lean body mass which is exactly what I don't want.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

lmao. No. I'd need to eat like 700 calories per day to lose 10 lbs in a month.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I didn't see this mentioned, but OP, even if you DID manage to get the 10lbs off, really who goes on vacation and doesn't have delicious drinks and foods? You're gonna be up several pounds any way. Just keep doing what you're doing, and adjust your expectations of when those last 10lbs are going to be gone.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member

.....you're special aren't ya?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I lost 40 lbs in 5 months 3 years ago and just lost 20 lbs in the past 2 months doing the same things I did 3 years ago. So, losing 10 lbs in 4 weeks (1 month) is certainly possible.