Vaping

I am probably gonna sound stupid but do ecigs and vaping make you gain weight? My friends claimed they do.

Replies

• amzblitz
    amzblitz Posts: 310 Member
    Not directly

But they might affect your stamina while doing exercises which leads to less effort spent working out thus making you gain some weight or not lose any
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Problem is with vaping here in the uk anyway is that there has been no official testing into the effects and what many of the different products actually contain, I tried vaping, lol quite enjoyed it but I noticed it took its toll on my respiratory system very quickly, nothing to serious but I could feel it after a few days.
  • sduncan527
    sduncan527 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been vaping for about 2 years after being a smoker for way too many years. I can't really say I gained weight from vaping as my weight was already creeping up before but I can say I have lost 34 lbs since Nov. while vaping. As far as workouts go, I have no problem keeping in up cardio classes but it's hard to tell how much it effects me since I was a smoker previously and had no energy or breath to do anything.

FWIW, I still vape as a crutch for not smoking but am hoping to quit that at some point. If you are vaping for the same reason I would continue to vape rather than go back to smoking but if your are vaping just because I would quit that. Good luck.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I've shaved off close to 100 lbs. since I quit smoking and started vaping, right at the same time I started a caloric deficit. If anything, you're probably less likely to gain weight if switching to vaping as opposed to quitting smoking cold-turkey, as most I've spoken with shared my experience. When you quit smoking, you're gonna sub in something to put in your mouth. For many, it's candies or other food. For me, it's an RDA. The candy will make you fat. The vapor, not so much.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    To the OP, absolutely not.

E-juice contains PG or VG, nicotine, and a candy/food flavoring. It does not cause weight gain, and as a matter of fact since nicotine is a stimulant many people use smoking as a means of suppressing their appetite. This is why so many smokers "gain" when they quit smoking (along with using food as a stress reliever).

Anyways, I have been vaping for 6 years! When i started i used vaping along with tea tree toothpicks to satiate my desire for cigs, and i gained absolutely nothing. I still do it to this day because i enjoy it (although i've been vaping 0 nic for about 6 months).
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Thanks everyone :) ! As for me , vaping also actually suppresses my appetite
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    It would only cause weight gain if you caused you to eat more than you need. And I don't think that's an issue for many who vape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    I quit smoking almost 2 years ago because of vaping! I use .03% nicotine in my juice and haven't gained any weight due to vaping...if anything, I feel healthier!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I lost 40lbs while vaping, so...no. It does suppress my appetite just the same as smoking did.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    FWIW my dad switched to vaping around the same time the Dr told him to lose weight. He lost 28lbs and slowly is continuing to lose. I'll never know if it was quitting the cigarettes or losing weight but his breathing and colour in his face improved dramatically. He's still very poorly but I'm pretty sure if he'd carried on with his smoking and weight as it was I'd have a very very sick dad by now. He sleeps a lot from pain and fatigue now but has energy for his grandchildren, likes tootling about town a little and seeing his family. No more dreadful coughs or grey pallor or wheezing.

I'm grateful to vaping - my brother (also father to my beautiful nieces) smoked a staggering amount I had no idea how bad it was - but in the restaurant business it's the only acceptable chance for a break apparently - but he's switched to vaping. He's always been lean and muscular - no changes. He quit smoking for vaping over a year ago.

Thanks to @rainbowbow who linked the articles
  • healthy491
    Thanks everyone :) !
    I am kinda worried as some sources imply that they contain calories
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »

Nah it's BS. I've been vaping for around 12mths and it hasn't affected my weight at all.
  • healthy491

Nah it's BS. I've been vaping for around 12mths and it hasn't affected my weight at all.

Awesome! How much do you vape tho in 1 day?
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Well the stuff itself can't have calories... It's just water vapour. But I guess as people have said it might affect your energy levels as its going into your lungs?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I don't know... Alot! The damn thing is permanently glued to my hand. I fill it up around 4 times a day.
  • healthy491
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Well the stuff itself can't have calories... It's just water vapour. But I guess as people have said it might affect your energy levels as its going into your lungs?

Yeah but it has VG and PG which have calories
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I don't know... Alot! The damn thing is permanently glued to my hand. I fill it up around 4 times a day.

This is still a little vague without an actual ml reference. There are tanks as small as half a mil, and some as large as 5 (probably bigger, but not that I've personally seen).

Personally, I run through about 20 ml per day with my RDA at 75 watts. I also make my own liquids though, because running through that much and using store bought, would actually cost me almost as much as my old three-pack per day smoking habit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016

This is still a little vague without an actual ml reference. There are tanks as small as half a mil, and some as large as 5 (probably bigger, but not that I've personally seen).

Personally, I run through about 20 ml per day with my RDA at 75 watts. I also make my own liquids though, because running through that much and using store bought, would actually cost me almost as much as my old three-pack per day smoking habit.

Well in your case this would be interesting to find out.

My boyfriend vapes about the same amount too.

Vg has 22 calories in every 5 ml. We use velvet clouds which steeps organic fruit/etc. for flavor as opposed to candy flavoring (like Loran's which is a pretty popular one) so I don't think we have excess cals there. Obviously it wills depend on the juice.

Then there's the fact that it changes form when you inhale it, you exhale it, and how much is actually absorbed? My feeling is probably very little because of the clouds I'm chucking out.

So assuming max worst case scenario with vaping a LOT of juice like Gallow and my boyfriend that's an extra... 80 cals?

P.s. For someone like myself it's max worst case an extra 20-ish
  • healthy491
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Well in your case this would be interesting to find out.

My boyfriend vapes about the same amount too.

Vg has 22 calories in every 5 ml. We use velvet clouds which steeps organic fruit/etc. for flavor as opposed to candy flavoring (like Loran's which is a pretty popular one) so I don't think we have excess cals there. Obviously it wills depend on the juice.

Then there's the fact that it changes form when you inhale it, you exhale it, and how much is actually absorbed? My feeling is probably very little because of the clouds I'm chucking out.

So assuming max worst case scenario with vaping a LOT of juice like Gallow and my boyfriend that's an extra... 80 cals?

P.s. For someone like myself it's max worst case an extra 20-ish

But is it even possible to inhale calories?