The Real Reason Everyone is Fat

Options
I think I love Dani Shugart. She's a bit "mean" for pushing personal responsibility, so if that hurts your feelings this isn't for you. Sometimes she may cross the line, but not here.

https://www.t-nation.com/blogs/the-real-reason-everyones-fat

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Actually, I found the article to be both refreshing and encouraging to me. It gave me a different angle of thought that is useful. I don't know Dani Shugart, having only heard of her here, but so far, so good.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Actually, I found the article to be both refreshing and encouraging to me. It gave me a different angle of thought that is useful. I don't know Dani Shugart, having only heard of her here, but so far, so good.

She is a refreshing contrast to what often run into here and elsewhere, and there's only so many times I can watch the "coffee is for closers" speech in one day.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    When I have to code obesity on a medical claim, the actual description reads "obesity due to excess calories". That's what the American Medical Association thinks causes most obesity. There is one for absent thyroid as well, but that's it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I really like that article. Thanks for posting.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    A great read and I agree with all of her points.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency toward being (what she calls out as being) a sycophant (psychophant! :p ), when it comes to people who are doing the right things but not toward people who like to wallow in their bad habits and behaviors. However, facing that word in this article is making me think harder and be more careful.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    great article!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Good article. We all have the bodies we've chosen to have.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love the article. We are where we are because of the choices that we made.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a good article.

It reminded me of that very uncomfortable moment when I looked at the fat person in the mirror and thought to myself - I did that.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Great article. Very inspiring...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Good article but I don't like the assumption that you have to do strength training to be fit/healthy, and that you're somehow 'less' if you don't want to do that.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    FALSE: "EVERYONE" is not fat.........

just sayin'
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Good article but I don't like the assumption that you have to do strength training to be fit/healthy, and that you're somehow 'less' if you don't want to do that.

I didn't get that at all from the article?

Fact is, if you want to be as fit as you can be, you need strength training to accomplish that, not to say you can't be fit and healthy without it...just not optimal. IMO
  • Amarie295
    Amarie295 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Generally I think anything that starts with "The reason everyone is ___" is going to be kind of a generalization. With an issue as widespread as obesity I think it is wrong to assume that there is any one reason for it. But it is true that no matter the factors, you are accountable and you cannot blame outside sources. Outside sources can definitely contribute to your decisions sometimes, but at the end of the day it is up to you to have the will power to make your own healthy decisions. I think that's a problem in all areas these days, not just when it comes to health. Nobody wants to fess up to their own mistakes. It takes courage to admit that you're at fault for most of your own issues, so I really applaud the people who are able to do it.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I shared the article on facebook. How long before someone calls the waaaaaaaambulance?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read!