Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Good article but I don't like the assumption that you have to do strength training to be fit/healthy, and that you're somehow 'less' if you don't want to do that.

I didn't get that at all from the article?

Fact is, if you want to be as fit as you can be, you need strength training to accomplish that, not to say you can't be fit and healthy without it...just not optimal. IMO

Yeah but... it's the general tone I guess? That people use excuses and don't take responsibility for not wanting to do strength training and be 'muscular'... as if it's wrong for people not to want those things in the first place... while IMO there's nothing wrong with just wanting to be reasonably fit and healthy.

But I suppose it's what most fitness people think. But I was born in France, only ever known one person who actually went to the gym... for everyone else just being active and of normal weight was enough.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like the overall point of the article, that each of us are responsible for ourselves, and that the vast majority of the "reasons" why we are fat are our own priorities, choices, and excuses.

I do think that there are more shades of gray regarding fitness than in most other endeavors in life, most notably the clear lack of an easily accessible, trustworthy, and reliable source for information. In almost everything else in life, we can fairly easily find solid information about how to go about getting or doing what we want to get or do. That's much harder with health/fitness because the people most widely touted as experts are often the ones least vested in our best interest. There are 1000 Dr. Oz's for every 1 Steve Troutman. And the Dr. Oz's of the world are the ones that get most of the headlines, publicity, magazine articles, book deals, etc.

As far as the tone of the article... consider the author and the source. It's going to be a bit biased. t-nation doesn't really cater to endurance athletes.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I like the overall point of the article, that each of us are responsible for ourselves, and that the vast majority of the "reasons" why we are fat are our own priorities, choices, and excuses.

I do think that there are more shades of gray regarding fitness than in most other endeavors in life, most notably the clear lack of an easily accessible, trustworthy, and reliable source for information. In almost everything else in life, we can fairly easily find solid information about how to go about getting or doing what we want to get or do. That's much harder with health/fitness because the people most widely touted as experts are often the ones least vested in our best interest. There are 1000 Dr. Oz's for every 1 Steve Troutman. And the Dr. Oz's of the world are the ones that get most of the headlines, publicity, magazine articles, book deals, etc.

As far as the tone of the article... consider the author and the source. It's going to be a bit biased. t-nation doesn't really cater to endurance athletes.

But gainz, bro. Gaaaainnnz!!!!

Okay, no you're right. Very "insightful."

^ MFP word of the day
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    100%, what a great article.

"Weak people are quick to point the finger at outside sources instead of finding opportunities to overcome their personal challenges."