Why am I gaining.

Options
nicole123100
nicole123100 Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Can somebody please help me. I recently put on just short of a stone on holiday. Well over like 6 weeks I ate like I hadn't come home from holiday. Oops. I've always dieted by restricting calories eating diet foods etc and it's always worked but was never has been very maintainable. So this time I decided I was a due a lifestyle change. So swapped my diet process from 1200 cals of diet foods high in carbs and added sugars to a clean little processed sugars high protein low carb plan still at 1200 cals. Ive found this so easy and I'm never hungry or crashing etc like I would have been before when dieting. Ive been doing it for 2 weeks. The first week I lost 2.5lb. This week I gained 2lb and it's slowly creeping back up I cannot for the life of me lose anything. I drink lots of water so don't think it's water retention. I have a Fitbit and walk on average about 15k each day. I use walking as exercise at the moment as I've had a problem with my breast implants and have been told no gym until they are removed which I'm just awaiting a date for. Why has this happened. I'm feeling so down and unmotivated about it. I'm tempted to just go back to dieting the way I know but I really wanted this way to work because it's so good for my health also.

Can anybody possibly shed some light :-(

Replies

• schwich13
    schwich13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there... Is there something going on with your implants that could cause a water/ fluid retention like infection, etc?
  • phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ...are you about to start your period? Did it just end?

Because that could easily add a few extra pounds for a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Stress, water retention, and normal fluctuations. Weight loss isn't linear, meaning if one did something one week and lost weight and did the same EXACT routine the next week and lost no weight, that would be the definition of not being linear.
    Just be consistent. Weight will come off if you have a moderate calorie deficit CONSISTENTLY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    IMHO, 1200 seems like too few calories to sustain over long-term weight loss.
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pop dem implants out and there ya go, instant weight-loss!
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Not to be judgmental but you eat to little. I highly recommend you calculate you TDEE, from there you deduct 20%. Just be honest when you do. You'd be surprised how much more you can eat and lost. I eat anywhere between 1.9k cals to 2.6k a day. Usually keeping above 2k threshold.

Do you exercise? How does your lifestyle looks like? What do you do for living? Is it highly active job, standing all day? A sitting job? Physical job? How many times a week you work and exercise? All kind of factors are dependent when you're trying yo figure our how much to eat.

I ate 1200 and stopped losing, upped my calories to what it is now and am losing.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to see an accurate representation of what is working and what isnt
  • WillpowerBurton
    Options
    mypi wrote: »
    Not to be judgmental but you eat to little. I highly recommend you calculate you TDEE, from there you deduct 20%. Just be honest when you do. You'd be surprised how much more you can eat and lost. I eat anywhere between 1.9k cals to 2.6k a day. Usually keeping above 2k threshold.

Do you exercise? How does your lifestyle looks like? What do you do for living? Is it highly active job, standing all day? A sitting job? Physical job? How many times a week you work and exercise? All kind of factors are dependent when you're trying yo figure our how much to eat.

I ate 1200 and stopped losing, upped my calories to what it is now and am losing.

I'm with you on this one. If your calorie deficit is TOO LOW, your body enters starvation mode, and will try and hold onto (aka STORE AS BODYFAT) any and all nutrients that come its way. Sometimes, more is less ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    do you log accurately and consistently with a food scale and can say with absolute sureness you are eating 1200...you are either eating more than you think or it's water retention.
  • WillpowerBurton
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • WillpowerBurton
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

really?

Even that link doesn't say anything about starvation mode.

It talks about cortisol (stress hormone) making you retain water which masks weight loss.
    talks about Muscle loss which causes a lower BMR
    but no where does it say "you will gain weight if you eat too little"

that is scientifically impossible.

Look I don't care WHO is right here. I just want the OP to have success with her fitness goals.
    I suggest you actually READ the article before commenting on it.

Not Eating Enough Slows Metabolism
    "Eating too few calories sends your body into starvation mode, causing your body to preserve energy by slowing the amount of calories you burn. Researchers confirmed this in a study published in PloS One in 2009. Participants who cut their caloric intake by 25 percent experienced a reduction in metabolism, while volunteers who reduced calories by 12 percent did not"

Calorie Deficit Increases Cortisol and May Stall Weight Loss

"Hormonal checks and balances are thrown off when the body is put under stress, which promotes fat storage. Cortisol triggers the release of insulin, which plays a role in storing calories for future fuel use. The psychological stress caused by calorie deprivation increases cortisol as well, according to the authors. These results suggest that the physiological and psychological effects of calorie restriction work against weight loss." Nowhere does it mention water retention.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/485503-will-eating-too-few-calories-make-you-gain-weight/
  • WillpowerBurton
    edited July 2016
    Options

really?

Even that link doesn't say anything about starvation mode.

It talks about cortisol (stress hormone) making you retain water which masks weight loss.
    talks about Muscle loss which causes a lower BMR
    but no where does it say "you will gain weight if you eat too little"

that is scientifically impossible.

Look I don't care WHO is right here. I just want the OP to have success with her fitness goals.
    I suggest you actually READ the article before commenting on it.

Not Eating Enough Slows Metabolism
    "Eating too few calories sends your body into starvation mode, causing your body to preserve energy by slowing the amount of calories you burn. Researchers confirmed this in a study published in PloS One in 2009. Participants who cut their caloric intake by 25 percent experienced a reduction in metabolism, while volunteers who reduced calories by 12 percent did not"

Calorie Deficit Increases Cortisol and May Stall Weight Loss

"Hormonal checks and balances are thrown off when the body is put under stress, which promotes fat storage. Cortisol triggers the release of insulin, which plays a role in storing calories for future fuel use. The psychological stress caused by calorie deprivation increases cortisol as well, according to the authors. These results suggest that the physiological and psychological effects of calorie restriction work against weight loss."

I did read the article...but that doesn't mean it's the truth.

If our bodies held onto fat because we were eating too little there wouldn't be people dying of starvation.

I addressed the slowing metabolism...our BMR slows through normal weight loss, muscle loss and age...which is typically from muscle loss.

Eating too little will not...weight loss will...but again that is called Adaptive Thermogensis

If you want the OP to have success then don't spew out false information like starvation mode.

Chances are the OP is either retaining water due to high sodium, stress, TOM or new exercise or eating more than they think.

I suspect Stress due to the implant issue...but regardless it's one week.

Weight loss is not linear.

BTW I do care about who is right because everytime someone comes in here and spews "AMG STARVATION MODE" another kitten dies.

Please, it's obvious you didn't take the time to actually read it.
    But yes, you have a point, the article was on livestrong.com, which is notorious for misinformation ;)
    So how about womenshealthmag.com?
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/too-few-calories

Or everydayhealth.com?
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/can-more-calories-equal-more-weight-loss.aspx
    (This one was medically reviewed by one Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH)

PS People die of starvation because once any stored body fat is consumed, next up is muscle, bones and organs, and once those are gone... RIP