Eating Eggs on Low Calorie Diet

Hi all
I'm back to counting calories again. Im generally eating 1200 on non gym days and 1400 on gym days (I weigh 10 stone 6Ibs and am 5'1 height).
I noticed I've started losing my bum, which was the only part of me I didn't actually mind! I've been doing my usual exercise but it's disappearing. If only the rest of me would disappear as quickly!!!
My question is, I think I need to up my protein within my calorie limit. And one way I would like to have eggs for breakfast. But I really struggle to fit that into my calorie intake, especially scrambled where it's more than one egg!
How do people manage to incorporate eggs into their morning on a lower calorie diet?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Eggs are about 70 cals/ each. I'm not sure why it would be hard to fit 2 or 3 even in a day, even on a lower cal diet. Look at the total day and see if there is something else that can be taken out for about 150-200 cals. A lot of people find pre logging helpful to know what exactly they can fit into their day.

For what it's worth I'm 5'2 and started at 153 lbs and lost all my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals. Plenty of room for eggs, and I'm now maintaining around 120 eating 2000-2200 cals/day.

It's entirely possible you could eat more and still lose.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and I have eggs every day. I use the boxed eggs bc they're easier and they are great for scrambling. Btw, they are 98% egg whites so a lot of protein. With 2 slices of bacon and my coffee and low fat half n half, my breakfasts are just over 200 calories with 6-8 carbs coming from my coffee sweetener and whitener.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Think it depends whether you're frying them or not. You probably shouldn't if you need to keep cals down. But as the above have stated, slotting 2 eggs into your current macros shouldn't be a problem. As for your behind, unfortunately once you're in a calorie deficit weight will be lost. It just seems you're more inclined to loss fat there first which is a shame.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    When I ate eggs in the morning, I would boil my eggs (not as good) which means they aren't fried and much healthier, and easier to deal with in the morning.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    If you're concerned about protein, consider a protein shake. Although I'm not sure how protein is going to help any specific body part.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    As others have said, two eggs is not that many calories as long as you don't fry it in lots of butter. I just use a mist of oil on the pan. I'm eating two eggs right now as I type this.

Are you strength training? You can't control where your body loses fat, but you can control where you gain muscle. Try Strong Curves or any structure strength program with squats, lunges, hip thrusts, RDLs, etc. and you can build up your glutes with muscle. But in the end, there is a limit to how much you can change your body shape so learn to accept what you have.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I eat eggs all the time...whole eggs.

never hindered my weight loss....
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    You could always use egg beaters, or instead of two or three whole eggs use one whole egg and just the whites of the others to cut back the calories from the yolk
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I really like using Egg Beaters. I work in an office, 5 days a week, 7am-4pm. I pre-cook "Egg Muffins" on Sunday for the 5 days, using Egg Beaters and a variety of veggies. Put 2 in a sandwich bag and have a 100 calorie filling breakfast ready for my work week.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Eggs are high calorie?? I'm confused...
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    I personally think eggs are the best bang for your buck: I usually have 1 piece dry toast with 2 over easy eggs pan-fried in non-stick spray: 195 calories. Filling, high in protein, and low in calories..I say fit it in and shave something elsewhere.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    All of the above.

Although egg yolks have more protein than egg whites, they are also high in fat and calories. So using 1-2 whole eggs plus several egg whites gives you lots of protein without more fat & calories than you want. Depending on the size of the eggs, a couple of whole eggs plus 3 egg whites is about 210 calories and provides about 23g of protein.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Another egg whites fan here!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    It shouldn't really be an issue even on a low cal diet. There are ways of reducing calories from scrambled eggs.
    I usually have a ratio of 5 white to 2 yolk but more commonly 4 whites to 1 yolk.
    Use 1 cal spray when cooking rather than butter, if you are a fan of milk and butter through, look at lower calorie options to what you are using now.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm in the egg-substitute camp. Scrambled with veggies, one piece of whole-grain toast with no-sugar jam. In fact, that's what in front of me now because I'm about to go hit the weights. Nonfat Greek yogurt is also good.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    A single poached egg on a toasted english muffin; scrambled (use a smaller skillet); hard boiled; french toast. Lots of ways. Eggs are no longer are enemy - as posted earlier - they are a big bang for the buck. I always have a hard boiled egg as a mid-morning snack.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    I often have poached eggs, no extra kcals from adding fat, and super tasty. I can't imagine eating just egg whites - the yolk is by far my favourite part!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I've had days when I consumed nearly a dozen eggs, running a 1450 kcal intake. I fail to see the problem.