Eating Eggs on Low Calorie Diet

Options

Replies

• KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 eggs either scrambled or over medium on a cup of spinach or sometimes wheat bread.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 or three eggs, but throw away the yolk for two of them. Just eat one yolk. One egg white without the yolk is only 17 calories, which is mostly protein. So, if you did three eggs, (only one yolk though) Youd only be eating around 100 calories. It is what I do, and I only eat 1200 a day.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I really like using Egg Beaters. I work in an office, 5 days a week, 7am-4pm. I pre-cook "Egg Muffins" on Sunday for the 5 days, using Egg Beaters and a variety of veggies. Put 2 in a sandwich bag and have a 100 calorie filling breakfast ready for my work week.

I've done this and its a good idea but got old to me fast.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You can hard boil and slice them for garnishes on salads. Poached eggs, fried, scrambled, soft boiled, etc are all easy to make. Plus you can use them as binders for veggie and meat omelets and stir fry. Yum.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I usually have 2 eggs either scrambled or over medium on a cup of spinach or sometimes wheat bread.

Have you ever added fresh chives and cheese to the spinach and scrambled egg? Nom.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I had exactly what @jessicarobinson00 has for breakfast this morning. I even added jalapeno ketchup because I just like it. I'm 4'11" and my maintenance calories, according to MFP, are only 1300 so I have to work out some every day because I just freaking like eating. Also my formerly flat butt has gotten bigger because I do squats and other forms of weight training.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's tough sticking to a 1,200 calorie a day diet. To keep the grumblies at bay I did not skimp on breakfast, had a small snack ready in the late afternoon before dinner, and kept my lunch light - salad or soup.

If you must reduce the calorie load on your eggs, you may eat egg whites only, and try cooking them without any oil/fat.

You may try poached, or a microwave scramble.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    When I ate eggs in the morning, I would boil my eggs (not as good) which means they aren't fried and much healthier, and easier to deal with in the morning.

I don't agree that boiled eggs are healthier than fried eggs, it's all about preference. Everything in moderation.

That said, I love eggs and usually have them on the weekends to make French Toast made with my homemade bread. Mmmmmmm!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 or three eggs, but throw away the yolk for two of them. Just eat one yolk. One egg white without the yolk is only 17 calories, which is mostly protein. So, if you did three eggs, (only one yolk though) Youd only be eating around 100 calories. It is what I do, and I only eat 1200 a day.

This is a great idea when you're trying to get high protein and eat less calories. I used to use Egg Beaters too, which were pretty good.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I eat 2to3 whole eggs microwaved and then apply hot sauce or salsa.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    All of this. A couple of other low calorie protein sources are cottage cheese and Dannon light & fit Greek yogurt (both 80 calories/serving). However, like was mentioned, I don't think protein will solve your problem (but it's never a bad choice ;) )
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Yes. Hot peppers, cracked peppercorn, hot sauce on eggs. Now I know what I want, but I'm out of eggs!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm back to counting calories again. Im generally eating 1200 on non gym days and 1400 on gym days (I weigh 10 stone 6Ibs and am 5'1 height).
    I noticed I've started losing my bum, which was the only part of me I didn't actually mind! I've been doing my usual exercise but it's disappearing. If only the rest of me would disappear as quickly!!!
    My question is, I think I need to up my protein within my calorie limit. And one way I would like to have eggs for breakfast. But I really struggle to fit that into my calorie intake, especially scrambled where it's more than one egg!
    How do people manage to incorporate eggs into their morning on a lower calorie diet?

I eat 2 boiled eggs every morning for breakfast. It is fast and easy because I boil a dozen eggs on the weekend and leave them in the fridge so they are ready to go. Add a Greek yogurt and you have a good amount of protien and it is pretty low cal. Even scrambled eggs aren't that many calories especially if you aren't adding stuff like milk and cheese to them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    When I ate eggs in the morning, I would boil my eggs (not as good) which means they aren't fried and much healthier, and easier to deal with in the morning.

Not fried just means less fat, not less healthier. Fat as a macro isn't inherently unhealthy. With my T-Fal Pro non-stick pan I just need a tiny bit of oil. Spray would work as well.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    A fried egg on a piece of wholemeal toast is my go-to breakfast for low calorie days. More filling for fewer calories than my other options. If I eat more eggs, my calorie intake tends to go down, not up, as I become less hungry. I know 1200cal is difficult but swapping in eggs in place of less filling foods can be done within any calorie limit.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Poaching eggs will cut any oil you might use for frying or scrambling. I paired 2 poached eggs with a sweet potato hash this morning. Total calories were 250.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Low cals, high protein, no fat. Taste delicious. :) Problem solved.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and have two eggs daily. I don't eat until later in the day so breakfast is usually about 1-2pm, but I don't like eating early.
    I boil or fry with ghee
    Add extra egg whites mushrooms and spinach and Parmesan.
    Or omelette with some smokedvsausage.
    Sometimes just on toast.
    I scramble mine with a bit of cold water and in a good non stick frying pan ,
    Eggs love 'em
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    2 over easy eggs with 3 turkey sausage links.. under 250 calories. And so good!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit more calories to work with because of my weight, height, and walking 6 or 7 miles a day, but I find a breakfast of eggs to be quite low calorie. I eat 3 or 4 eggs, a few thin slices of ham, some cheese, and mushroom slices, all scrambled together. It's honestly my favourite meal of the day.