I'm losing my mind...:(

Options
I'm going to try to keep this short.....I'm losing it here....I'm almost 32 years old and about 5'8" and I've always fluctuated between 175-197 at most. But now, for the first time in my life I'm 220 pounds, and beside myself....I've been dieting on and off since I was 12 years old, and it has always been a struggle to maintain a good weight.

I started weighing 200 pounds around April of 2015, and it just kept going up to about 216. I was getting married April 2016 and I was DETERMINED to lose the weight so I started going to Orange Theory in June of last year, and I was hooked and went about 3-4x a week. Still even with that intense workout 3-4x a week and eating about 1,300-1,600 calories a day I only lost about 2 pounds in 5 months. As I got closer to the wedding, I dropped a few more and got down to 208 lbs. for my wedding by eating only 900-1200 calories a day. It is now July, and I'm 220 pounds, and I eat an average of 1,500 calories a day and I'm still exercising (a little less about 2x a week).

When I had noticed my weight gain creeping up over time, without even changing my diet or exercise habits drastically, I went to 3 different endocrinologists, and all of them said I was fine and within the normal range for my age and TSH levels. This was about a year ago, when I saw my last doctor.

I went back to the doctor last week with a vengeance, and showed her the numbers and how they didn't make sense. So, I'm going to get another set of tests done next week, this time I'm getting every single test done, including a glucose fasting test, and a cortisol test. In the meantime I just feel lost. I don't know what to do anymore.

I do take Metformin, as previous tests have indicated that I may become pre-diabetic, and have a pre-disposition for mild PCOS. I'm wondering if that is what's holding me back...???? I'm just so frustrated, it's all-consuming...:(

Replies

• zonkiethegreat
    zonkiethegreat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh all food that I cook, and when I eat out I have to eyeball it or take note of the chain I'm eating at. Honestly, a cheat day for me is in the 1800-2000 range. I also do not overestimate my calorie burn, that is for SURE. At Orange Theory we use heart rate monitors and even though they say I burn 416 calories in 45 minutes, I always log it as about 350.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    As others said, you are not measuring correctly, or are using inaccurate entries in the database. I'm 5'7" 143 lbs and slowly losing on 1800 cal per day. That said, you may respond to carbohydrate restriction, considering the PCOS and tendancy towards diabetes. But regardless of method, being accurate in your logging is the first step.
  • zonkiethegreat
    Options
    I'm being honest here, I have no reason to lie about the numbers. If you don't believe me that's fine, but I'm telling you all that at the very very most on a bad day, I will eat 2,000 calories, and that's a bad day. So either my body has acclimated to eating very little, and therefore gains from anything over a certain amount or I'm intolerant to something, I don't know.

I only came on here to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar, because in the last 3 months, I've gained 11 pounds and I think it's because instead of eating 900-1100 a day I'm now eating 1200-1500 a day.....which still doesn't make sense considering I burn about 2100 calories a day just living without exercise (this is based on my FitBit). Maybe I've messed up my metabolism....maybe I need to cut carbs completely???

• zonkiethegreat
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Been there done that...turned out I had lyme disease and since treatment I have finally slowly been losing weight. So yes, you may be counting all your calories and exercising like crazy and not lose a pound...your thyroid is not the only thing that can impede weight loss.

Wow, glad you figured it out, and are doing better.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • zonkiethegreat
    Options
    If your lab work comes back in the clear, you're eating more than 1500 calories a day.
    Are you weighing your food, or eyeballing it? We notoriously over estimate our calorie burn through exercise, and underestimate our intake. Are you counting all your oils you cook with, and any beverages you might drink? Fruits and veggies count, too (I mention that one because when hubs started a month ago he was blown away that I logged them. Thought they were "free" because they were healthy).

I log it all, and I'm careful with sugary fruits like mangoes or bananas. I also don't drink any soda, not even diet. When I crave carbonated drinks I have La Croix Lime carbonated water. I can't weigh food when I go out to eat, so that I have to eyeball unfortunately.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Most people eyeball when going into restaurants.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm being honest here, I have no reason to lie about the numbers. If you don't believe me that's fine, but I'm telling you all that at the very very most on a bad day, I will eat 2,000 calories, and that's a bad day. So either my body has acclimated to eating very little, and therefore gains from anything over a certain amount or I'm intolerant to something, I don't know.

I only came on here to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar, because in the last 3 months, I've gained 11 pounds and I think it's because instead of eating 900-1100 a day I'm now eating 1200-1500 a day.....which still doesn't make sense considering I burn about 2100 calories a day just living without exercise (this is based on my FitBit). Maybe I've messed up my metabolism....maybe I need to cut carbs completely???

Lots of people are experiencing something very similar.
  • zonkiethegreat
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Food scale.

I have one, and I use it when I cook at home. Although to be totally honest, I don't cook a lot because of my business I travel a lot and often have to eat out for business dinners, and lunches.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's great that your having your Dr. run tests to see if there may be a medical issue. See if you may have Leptin Resistance. Here's some info about it:
    https://authoritynutrition.com/leptin-101/
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Pcos could really do that to you if you have insulin resistance. Do you eat high carb?