Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Soy milk - Pros & Cons

124»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited July 2016
    wenkaz wrote: »
    As some have mentioned, at least 90% of corn and soybeans grown in the USA are GMO. For wheat, it is 60-80% GMO. Putting aside the science of how they make GMOs for a moment, my big concern is the glyphosate residue in the grains from being sprayed with RoundUp herbicide. Glyphosate residue entering your body causes hormone disruption, inflammation, and, from there, facilitates a variety of diseases. I wonder how many people would not be obese today if they had not had a steady diet of glyphosate residue in corn, soy, and wheat. It seems like any processed food has corn or soy products in it.

No. Just no.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-who-glyphosate-idUSKCN0Y71HR

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/jmprsummary2016.pdf

http://www.crediblehulk.org/index.php/2015/06/02/about-those-more-caustic-herbicides-that-glyphosate-helped-replace-by-credible-hulk/

ETA there is no gmo wheat. None
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Around here more glyphosate is sprayed on pulses than on corn or soy crops. In wet years it is sprayed close to harvest to dessicate the plant.

Then it gets tested, and if levels are too high the seller/Co-op/whatever mixes that batch with another one that tested lower, and so on, until the beans or lentils or whatnot have a low enough average residue to pass guidelines.

But in general glyphosate actually washes off and breaks down pretty quickly. I think people make mountains out of glyphosate molehills, personally. When we were testing overspray situations, we typically didn't find much glyphosate even if the plants looked all glyphosate-y unless samples were taken before rainfall and frozen immediately and kept frozen until analysis.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2016
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Also, although I know the jury is still out on GMO's, my understanding is that the vast majority of soybeans grown, processed and sold in the US are genetically modified. Based on my limited knowledge, I think it's just wise for me to not eat or drink it.

I don't have time to google the link, but the jury came in on GMO's and there is no cause for alarm.

Yes, well there is some concern that this particular jury (study) was biased. Consumer watch groups have alleged several committee members involved in the preparation of the recent "GMOs are safe report" either received research money from several biotech companies or they had direct ties to the biotech industry. Is the fox watching the henhouse? I believe the debate will go on for some time.

Of course people are free to eat whatever they choose. I personally try to consume as much of my own home-grown food as possible and avoid GMOs and foods that contain soy and soy by-products.

Bill Nye wasn't bought off. People claimed he must have been, but they have no real evidence to that. He is a scientist and I believe science more than fear mongering. And believe me, I think Monsanto is the Grand Poobah of Evil Corporations, so I don't say that lightly. Denying the scientific evidence that GMO's are fine is like denying climate change. You can believe all you want, but science is the truth.

As for soy, the research is inconclusive. I err on the side of caution in that I don't eat much of it, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it. I do use almond or cashew milk instead of soy (I'm allergic to milk). I will eat edamame though. Occasionally some tofu.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    I avoid all food or drinks that contain soy, which is a bit tough because soy protein isolate, soybean oil and/or soy lecithin seems to be in just about all processed foods, including healthy nutrition bars, tuna fish, spaghetti sauce, and vitamin supplements. I read all labels very carefully!

Several of my health professionals (Western, Eastern and alternative medicine) have advised against it. Because it is an estrogen mimicker there are some who believe it can cause estrogen dominance, especially in women, with a subsequent greater risk of breast cancer.

Here's a list of some related studies:

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-dietary-soy-1939-2008/

Although the above list doesn't contain links to the actual studies, they are named and dated so could be researched individually is someone chooses to research further.

Also, although I know the jury is still out on GMO's, my understanding is that the vast majority of soybeans grown, processed and sold in the US are genetically modified. Based on my limited knowledge, I think it's just wise for me to not eat or drink it.

I was just going to put together a post on the research I did on soy in the American diet, but then read Raebeebaby's post and she hit the nail right on the head.

I avoid GMOs because I don't believe that any food substance the has to go through a multi step process to make it edible as soy does, could possibly be healthy.

The scary thing is that soy protein isolate is in almost every pre-packaged item in the grocery isle.

Google: how is soy protein isolate made?
    I swear, if they could use this same process on old shoes, food manufacturers would put it your food and sell it to you.

Not too many years ago soy crops were used for soil rotation purposes. It was a throw away crop.

The post about the Japanese isn't correct. The Japanese eat a lot of fermented soy, which is healthy. But soy protein isolate IMO is not.

Oh, and as far as almond and soy milk, look at the list of ingredients!!

Look at a gallon of milk. Ingredients: milk.

• frankiesgirlie
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I don't have time to google the link, but the jury came in on GMO's and there is no cause for alarm.

Yes, well there is some concern that this particular jury (study) was biased. Consumer watch groups have alleged several committee members involved in the preparation of the recent "GMOs are safe report" either received research money from several biotech companies or they had direct ties to the biotech industry. Is the fox watching the henhouse? I believe the debate will go on for some time.

Of course people are free to eat whatever they choose. I personally try to consume as much of my own home-grown food as possible and avoid GMOs and foods that contain soy and soy by-products.

If you want to avoid GMOs you'll need to stop eating pretty much every fruit and vegetable in existence. Including your home grown food.

What? Home grown? What the heck are you talking about?
  • frankiesgirlie
    kplumm88 wrote: »
    Soy is a phytoestrogen which studies have found can lead to a whole bunch of different problems in both men and women. My friend was given soy since she was a baby because they used to say it was better for you. Fast forward 28 years and she has PCOS, Endometreosis, and has had 4 miscarriages before finally having her daughter. With the amount of soy they put in everything it is almost impossible to have in moderation or avoid. Why add to it?

This is my feeling completely. While id like to keep GMO soy out of my diet completely, it seems impractical being that it's in so many foods, but I do try to limit it as much as I can.
    Adding soy milk (juice really) seems like overkill.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    I love soy milk. I like the taste, and I don't like almond or coconut milk. (Everyone is different!) but I buy "fresh"/short life not long life soy (Alpro, regular). They are different, I find the fresh is less powdered tasting. I am lactose intolerant so I can't have cows milk, and I like that soy has protein. No science, just preference.

Weirdest thing about soy is definitely the colour. It isn't as white as cows milk. I know that puts some people off!