Whole Foods Market

Options
Overrated. Overpriced. Over it! I only purchase select products that are WF exclusive (Halo Top ice cream, etc.), but I REFUSE to pay $x.xx for a bag of chips or roll of paper towels that I could easily find at any other retailer.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    12 oz of frozen raspberries are $2.99 at Whole Foods, and $2.99 at Trader Joe's. The WF is a shorter walk from my apartment. Fresh produce is usually better there than from other grocery stores around here.

EDIT: I think you can order Halo Top iced cream online and have it delivered?
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    What I love at WF are the super high calorie home made tortilla chips. Also, we usually go there for the breakfast sandwiches on Sunday before church (WF is *right next door* to our church).

We go to TJs for everything else, because - TJs :)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I can get Halo Top at Kroger.. I'm guessing it's not available at other groceries in your area?
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If we had one nearby I would shop there in the winter as their produce section is superior to my regular grocery store. I would probably buy meat there too as it tastes better. Trader Joes is too far too. Sigh. Sometimes I dislike living in the middle of nowhere.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's the debate?

This is what I was wondering, what we were supposed to be debating?

Also, pretty sure Halo Top is not WF exclusive. They sell it at my neighborhood grocery store.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What's the debate?

I may be able to help out here.

Where I use to live, we had a Good Foods Market nearby -- which is a local clone of Whole Foods. I shopped there once and paid $40+ for a single paper bag of produce and such. It was mind boggling.

I think most reasonable people would agree that making more sustainable choices is a *good* thing. But when corporations turn that choice into a brand -- and one that people lower on the economic ladder simply cannot afford -- that seems to in some ways defeat the purpose.

To Clarify: We get a lot of messages about sustainability. But when one cannot afford to shop at WF, or lives in a food desert, the right choices then become a status symbol.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What's the debate?

This is what I was wondering, what we were supposed to be debating?

Also, pretty sure Halo Top is not WF exclusive. They sell it at my neighborhood grocery store.

I have seen Halo Top at my local grocery store too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm walking distance from a Jewel (mainstream grocery), two WFs, and a TJs. I actually buy the majority of my meat from a farm (there's also an excellent local meat market, although I rarely have reason to go there), my produce from a CSA or green market during the season, and occasionally fish from a fish market I like, so I have a plethora of grocery stores for not that much grocery shopping. But still I shop at WF, Jewel, and TJs all for various things depending on what I want. WF is overpriced on lots of things, but not everything, and it has it's good qualities, so I include it in my rotation.

I don't feel like there is much to debate about here.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What's the debate? Are you expecting someone to come rushing in screaming NOOOOO WHOLE FOODS 5EVER!!!!

I like Whole Food's selection on some things, but I would never make it my primary store. There are some things I like at Nature's Food Patch (local store). A TJ's just opened in my area - it's 15 miles away but I was very pleasantly surprised by their selection and their prices.

Every store has their pluses and minuses. I think we can agree on that :wink:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with their pricing, but I also refuse to shop there. If someone wants to pay ridiculous prices for somrthing because it gives them better feels, more power to them.

Everything we do in life ultimately boils down to "better feels."
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    >:) pricey for no real reason but...status I think
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with their pricing, but I also refuse to shop there. If someone wants to pay ridiculous prices for somrthing because it gives them better feels, more power to them.

Everything we do in life ultimately boils down to "better feels."

Fair enough. Though, I'd posit that what defines "better" is extremely arbitrary, and will vary not only from person to person, but moment to moment. Hell, the entire weight loss topic hinges on that fact.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just went there for the first time a couple days ago and it really is way overpriced. I just went for ice cream too, but I ended up buying some ice cream cones and a frozen personal pizza. I spent $22. I feel like that's crazy, considering I spend $50 for my groceries for the entire week. Half that amount just for some ice cream, a personal pizza and ice cream cones is insane. They do have a lot of things that other grocery stores don't have though, which I like. I wouldn't do my grocery shopping there though
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think of a lot the items there are overpriced. However, I would consider some items there to be higher quality than comparative items in a regular grocery store.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im with you--so done with Whole Foods. I'm really hating WF produce. It's a crock that their produce is better. This spring alone I wasted money on mangos, pears, grapes, tomatoes, blueberries, and beets that were either tasteless, mealy, brown or rotten inside.

A few months ago I bought a juicer because WF charges anywhere from $6-$10 for juices.

Since I'm in the wine country, there's plenty of farmers markets; not any cheaper, but way better in quality than WF. We're fortunate to have a local independent grocery store in town that carries exceptional produce, cheeses, seafood and meats. Most everything at a better price than WF. We simply don't need WF around here.