Whole Foods Market

Options

Replies

• dana7dana7
    dana7dana7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go for select produce salmon and the deserts!!!!!!! Omg the mini cheesecakes!!!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    A new WF just opened up down the street from where I work, so I pop in occasionally for things I can't get anywhere else or I happen to know is cheaper at WF than my local natural market (who I'd rather support). But I do love many of the WF bakery items.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I like their prepared foods section and their bakery, and I find their 365 Organic brand to be cheaper than Stop & Shops own brand. But most of their other stuff is really over-priced. I'm a big fan of Amy's Organic and they have a huge selection of Amy's products, but at a much higher price than Stop & Shop or Shop Rite :(
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I live in Cincinnati, which is Kroger country. Other grocery stores have trouble competing. I do have a local place called Jungle Jim's that has all the international food you could possibly handle and an amazing produce section. We alternate between Kroger and Jungle Jim's each week because there are some items only available at one or the other. There is a WFM 40 minutes away across town, went there once when my husband was interviewing for a butcher position, and I marveled at the luxury of all food. I didn't buy anything through. We are getting a Fresh Thyme near me soon that is supposed to be very good and from their ads they seem like they have a farmer's market angle.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Like all shopping, it's knowing your price points. Their bulk bins (oatmeal, for instance) are cheaper than buying pre-packaged off the shelf at the grocery store and has a better flavor. Their hot food bar is AMAZING, competitively priced, and tastes better than the local supermarkets.

If you want the all-natural, free-range, fair-trade, gluten-free, NoGMO, organic goat's blood, brace yourself to pay a bomb.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Like all shopping, it's knowing your price points. Their bulk bins (oatmeal, for instance) are cheaper than buying pre-packaged off the shelf at the grocery store and has a better flavor. Their hot food bar is AMAZING, competitively priced, and tastes better than the local supermarkets.

If you want the all-natural, free-range, fair-trade, gluten-free, NoGMO, organic goat's blood, brace yourself to pay a bomb.

100%. People who complain about the expense aren't shopping smart, or just have different priorities than those who do. I'm not going to buy things like paper towels there.

Whole Foods has consistently better produce, year round, than the generic grocery chain here (Pick N Save). It costs more, but it lasts longer, and tastes better. Also, I've found their meat and seafood employees are actually helpful and knowledgeable about their product, in contrast to other stores.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »

100%. People who complain about the expense aren't shopping smart, or just have different priorities than those who do. I'm not going to buy things like paper towels there.

Whole Foods has consistently better produce, year round, than the generic grocery chain here (Pick N Save). It costs more, but it lasts longer, and tastes better. Also, I've found their meat and seafood employees are actually helpful and knowledgeable about their product, in contrast to other stores.

Agree on the not shopping smart bit.

In my area most locally available fruits and veg and commonly shipped in stuff (like cherries or bananas) are just as good if not better at any other store. On the other hand, specialty produce and seafood is always better at either Whole Foods or Central Market if you can even find it anywhere else. In some cases, Asian markets are the best choice there.

Personally, if I'm shopping for best selection and quality (and feel it's worth it to pay some truly obnoxious prices) I'll go to Central Market. The cheese and charcuterie selection alone makes it worth it. Whole Foods is closest to me and most stuff I get there is no cheaper or is unavailable in the regular store so that's where I usually go. Kroger is for things like soda or Oreos, and Costco for anything it makes sense to buy in bulk - but I live alone in a fairly small house, so that isn't a whole lot of stuff.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I go to Whole Foods for their heads of romaine, kale, chard, etc. They always have to widest selection and quality. I prefer organic for leafy greens. $2-3 bucks for a giant head is a steal for me.

Has anyone tried their deli sandwiches?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    WF is one of those places you need to know what you are going there for and know what it should cost.

I love their bulk bin section, I get grains, beans, and lentils. There actually aren't any other places near me that have bulk bins, certainly not with so many choices.
    They have an awesome collection of specialty ice creams and dark chocolate bars, which I would be paying more than I should for anyway!
    And I find they usually have a much better selection of loose greens than the regular grocery stores (not boxed or bagged) and the prices seem reasonable to me.

For sure some of the stuff is overpriced or unnecessarily (or even dishonestly!) "organic" or "natural" or whatever other buzzword is in fashion. I would never use it as my main grocery store. But I'd be bummed if it wasn't there for the select items above.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The best produce here is found in stands on the side of the highway. We grow a lot of cherries and nectarines and stuff east of the Cascades. You can't always predict where they'll be or when, selection is limited, they only take cash, but you'd be wise to pull over and get something because it'll be really good.

Whole Foods has the next best produce around here, especially in the metro area. Easy to find, good selection, good quality stuff.

I don't buy produce at Trader Joe's. It's almost always lackluster. Every time I buy fresh raspberries there, I get halfway through them and find moldy ones. :angry: :grimace: Sometimes it's a good place to get flowers for my girlfriend though.

There are a few things that are less expensive at Whole Foods, most things cost less at TJ's. You figure out which things you should get from which store, and it's pretty easy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The best produce here is found in stands on the side of the highway. We grow a lot of cherries and nectarines and stuff east of the Cascades. You can't always predict where they'll be or when, selection is limited, they only take cash, but you'd be wise to pull over and get something because it'll be really good.

Whole Foods has the next best produce around here, especially in the metro area. Easy to find, good selection, good quality stuff.

I don't buy produce at Trader Joe's. It's almost always lackluster. Every time I buy fresh raspberries there, I get halfway through them and find moldy ones. :angry: :grimace: Sometimes it's a good place to get flowers for my girlfriend though.

There are a few things that are less expensive at Whole Foods, most things cost less at TJ's. You figure out which things you should get from which store, and it's pretty easy.

I found that with TJ's produce too, and it's so disappointing! I can actually find more local produce in my regular grocery store than at TJ, and it always looks about to go bad. Even the bagged salads look old and brown :(. I'd shop there even more than I do if they would improve that!

The TJ and WF by me are right across the street from each other, so once a month I head over, get everything I can at TJ, then go to WF for anything I couldn't find there. I go to a regular grocery or farmers markets the rest of the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yeah, this.

Back when I still got meat and produce from the grocery much more often than I do now, my mainstream grocery closed for about a year to remodel. Our TJ's was new then, so I was going to WF as my replacement (my first trip to TJ's was a disappointment -- tiny produce selection, no fresh fish!). Finally when TJ's got less crowded I decided to try it again and found the stuff I wanted and went to check out and was SHOCKED by how cheap it was compared to my WF jaded expectations. Since then I've been pretty good at figuring out what to buy at each place (and lots of stuff I just buy at the mainstream grocery which is now open and super convenient since I pass it every day on the way home).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    We are lucky to have a locally-owned (I believe employee-owned), large, well-stocked, clean, organic-foods-focused store with average prices at least a bit below WF, and an amazingly friendly & helpful staff. It has some in-store-prepped fresh packaged foods, but it lacks WF's giant ready-to-eat area (y'know, the buffet for people who are Too Cool to eat at buffets).

I prefer the local place for the "health-foods-y" items on my shopping list, though I get produce and some other items at the farmers markets (so fresh, and much of it organic), and some other items at chains that are physically closer to me.

However, there's one respect in which I appreciate WF's recent arrival in this area: It helps me identify the pseudo-progressives among my acquaintances - the folks who previously told me there was no place in this lame city to buy organics or related specialized products, and who think the WF giant-trendy-mega-corp is Just More Sophisticated than the actual progressively-managed, better run place.

I just hope it doesn't run the local, better-run store out of business.

(Yeah, I'm being snarky. If you'd talked to some of these folks, you'd be snarky, too. SMH! I'm willing to shop at WF for items that the local place doesn't stock, but I'm not buying into the mythology: It's just another chain.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's not my impression of WF shoppers at all. No one here thinks they are all precious to be shopping at WF, and most of the mainstream groceries have tons of organics (and if organic is your thing the Green City Market is a better option -- I love it, but the crowd there really can be annoying).

I'm really interested to see how the WF that is soon to be opening in the Englewood neighborhood here fares. It seems like a worthwhile project.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's not my impression of WF shoppers at all. No one here thinks they are all precious to be shopping at WF, and most of the mainstream groceries have tons of organics (and if organic is your thing the Green City Market is a better option -- I love it, but the crowd there really can be annoying).

I'm really interested to see how the WF that is soon to be opening in the Englewood neighborhood here fares. It seems like a worthwhile project.

Perhaps life and pretensions are different here in the backwaters. (No, I don't really think this is the backwaters . . . but I know some folks who do.) I'm in a mid-sized city in mid-Michigan.

Note, also, that I did not intend to characterize all WF shoppers; I don't know them all, and as stated, I am one. I intended to single out an amusing reaction to WF displayed by a small fraction of people among my acquaintances.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with their pricing, but I also refuse to shop there. If someone wants to pay ridiculous prices for somrthing because it gives them better feels, more power to them.

Everything we do in life ultimately boils down to "better feels."

Congratulations on that. Seriously.

I used to shop there, but after a lot of research I learned that regular grocery store meat and dairy also didn't have antibiotics or hormones, and organic produce wasn't any better for me or the environment, so now I just go either for affordability, or financial support for farmers via direct buy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's not my impression of WF shoppers at all. No one here thinks they are all precious to be shopping at WF.

It's another place to buy food. No more, no less.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Overrated. Overpriced. Over it! I only purchase select products that are WF exclusive (Halo Top ice cream, etc.), but I REFUSE to pay $x.xx for a bag of chips or roll of paper towels that I could easily find at any other retailer.

I don't think of Whole Foods as a place for buying paper towels. Costco or even Amazon are better. I like their produce and many products in their 365 house brand. Good coffee, meat, and fish, too.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    I go to Whole Foods for their heads of romaine, kale, chard, etc. They always have to widest selection and quality. I prefer organic for leafy greens. $2-3 bucks for a giant head is a steal for me.

Has anyone tried their deli sandwiches?

No, but I've had many of their prepared dishes and they're delicious.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    The chain I've been disappointed by is Trade Joe's. I haven't bought anything especially good there. But many people sing its praises.