Waist or Weight?

Options
Which is more important to your success? Your waist size or your total weight?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The scale gives you a number. I'd go with waist size as a more useful metric, especially if one of your goals is to become stronger.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Since I compete (once a year, but still) in powerlifting, weight.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather have another belt notch than a lower number on the scale.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Waist size is a better indicator of progress than weight is right now. I'm perfectly happy with my weight but want to lose more fat. Since most of my fat is around my midsection, waist measurements are a good way for me to track changes.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a number, waist size is a more accurate metric of health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    Waist size/BF%. It doesn't matter what the number of the scale is if I look the way I want to look.
    THIS. If you look the way you want, fit the clothes you like and people are complimenting on your physique, would it matter if the scale said you were 10lbs heavier than what you thought?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Definitely waist/bf%.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Waist is more important to me. The number on scale is just a representation of how gravity pulls you down. It does not and cannot measure your fitness levels.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Waist - well actually how my smallest smart work dress fits!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hips and thighs size!
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Waist.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Weight is deceiving...In 44 days, I'm only down 10 lbs, but I've lost inches.

Inches lost
    2 1/2" waist
    1" thighs
    2 1/4" hips.

I weigh and measure weekly, but pay more attention to measurements than weight.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a number... and so is your waist size.

I really don't get that argument. If you like how you look and your weight doesn't matter, than your waist size doesn't matter either. I've lost and regained ~8lb with no change to my waist size, so waist size is meaningless. Both weight and waist size correlate with overall fitness, but you may have to recognize additional variables for either to be even remotely accurate.

Pick whichever suits your needs, don't become anal about it, and recognize the benefits and limitations to whichever methods you choose. Or even better, use both and use all the data available to you.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Waist/bf%. The only time I pay attention to the scale is to make sure I'm gaining at the rate I want or to make sure I'm not losing too quickly
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I feel the scale is a good tool. As you get closer to your goal, BF% and body measurements are a better tools. As well as how your clothes fit. I lost 27 lbs. fairly quickly, then my weight stalled. As I'm closer to my goal weight, and am consuming more calories to support muscle gain. Now I rely more on measurements. I see too many people obsess over the numbers on the scale. They become discouraged, and go back to unhealthy habits.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Both have their place. Focus on learning what each means and monitor both as you work towards your goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a number... and so is your waist size.

I really don't get that argument. If you like how you look and your weight doesn't matter, than your waist size doesn't matter either. I've lost and regained ~8lb with no change to my waist size, so waist size is meaningless. Both weight and waist size correlate with overall fitness, but you may have to recognize additional variables for either to be even remotely accurate.

Pick whichever suits your needs, don't become anal about it, and recognize the benefits and limitations to whichever methods you choose. Or even better, use both and use all the data available to you.
    For most of the general population, waist size is an indication of being too fat. You can't reduce girth due to bone structure, but you can due to having too much body fat around your waist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KristenG80
    KristenG80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a weird case, but my weight loss number (pounds) is higher than my inches lost. Like, the scale says I've lost just over 20lbs, but my measurements and clothes say I am not down a crazy amount. Only 1 size down.