Simple Ways to not gain back the weight you lost.

Options

Replies

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This post and comments have really been helpful, I'm terrified of gaining weight back after working so hard to lose. I have another 12 pounds to get to my updated goal and that will have been a total of around 55 pounds lost. I'm going to do everything I can to keep it off.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    These posts have been very insightful for me. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Over the last 3 years, I had lost 75 pounds and then the last year or so I have slowly gained 20 back. I stopped logging, I stopped weighing in weekly and stopped using MFP. I really wanted to not let food and constant thinking of food and weight control my life but I dont think I can.

I'm back now and logging daily and reading posts. Hoping to lose this 20 pounds in the next 6-8 months.

• TMW45
    TMW45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I eat something small, like a protein bar or a 100 calorie snack every 2-3 hours I don't get as hungry and over eat with my big meals !
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    All the other posts TL;DR, but this is way too restrictive for me. Perhaps the audience needing to read this does not apply to masses here in the MFP community.

I love eating all my meals in front of the TV, I no longer have kids in the house and can do so.

I love eating things like sweets, cakes, pies, candy bars, ice cream. I do not have do with out these to maintain my weight.

I learned to eat smaller portions and include a lot of more volume foods like fruits and veggies and plenty of lean meats in my diet, no need to change this to maintain.

I exercise everyday, drink 1/2 gallon + of water everyday.

I am not trying to be snarky in the least, but if you choose to loose weight enjoying all the foods you already love, no need to cut them out to maintain, and if you did swap some foods to loose weight that may not have been so great in your diet, just keep that up.

Eating is something we have to do everyday and moreover enjoy eating with the ones you love! Nothing like breaking bread with family, friends, enjoying sports, holidays and birthdays! It would sad life if I hate to restrict cake!

^^ Ditto! Roxie Dawn has a good attitude about this.
    In order for this to be sustainable, why not start out from the beginning with no food restrictions and just eating within your calorie allotment? No transitioning foods back into your diet when you reach maintenance, because you are already eating them. Allow for the times when you are with family and friends celebrating occasions, or just having an enjoyable time. The key is to not let the occasions become an everyday thing.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Please note (for those that didn't read everything): these are loose suggestions. Please use common sense to apply some if not all of it to your life. The idea is the science behind the suggestions.

The science is that a healthy diet and exercise can help prevent weight gain.

For example: If you like to eat in front of the TV is not the point. The point is be mindful of your eating, which most people lose track of when watching TV/reading while eating.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Please note (for those that didn't read everything): these are loose suggestions. Please use common sense to apply some if not all of it to your life. The idea is the science behind the suggestions.

For example: If you like to eat in front of the TV is not the point. The point is be mindful of your eating, which most people lose track of when watching TV/reading while eating.

Please explain the bolded...

ETA: If I know most here who commented I believe that these are the people who are mindful and can't lose track of what they are eating if reading/tv watching etc as their food is already portioned for what they know will not make them overeat....ie already logged, weighed etc.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Actually, not eating more calories than you burn will prevent weight gain, just as eating less calories than you burn will result in weight loss. This is fact. If you overeat, you will gain weight.
  • cee134
    Options

Actually, not eating more calories than you burn will prevent weight gain, just as eating less calories than you burn will result in weight loss. This is fact. If you overeat, you will gain weight.

FYI - I never once mentioned you should not count calories. I'm getting tired of people posting negative comments about stuff they inferred but was never said.

The point is healthy living which leads to a sustainable goal of your maintenance weight over long (Decades) periods of time. Some people (myself included) are burned out on calorie counting by the time they reach their goals.
  • cee134
    Options
    Note: At no point was any food off limits.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

FYI - I never once mentioned you should not count calories. I'm getting tired of people posting negative comments about stuff they inferred but was never said.

The point is healthy living which leads to a sustainable goal of your maintenance weight over long (Decades) periods of time. Some people (myself included) are burned out on calorie counting by the time they reach their goals.

When you post a list of rules/guidelines for weight loss/maintenance, people will pick at it. Most of it is good advice, just not things that I can follow 24/7/365.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My friend lost weight several years ago. She maintains her weight and pretty much eats the same things she ate when she was losing only a little more. From logging she knows the approximate calorie count and keeps track of it in her head. When she reaches her calorie range she stops eating. Sometimes she may have some jello or a celery stick if she feels she needs something more. She works out a few days a week at the gym or runs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

There is no science to maintaining.

For starters a person does not have to exercise to maintain their weight. All the recommendations out there are for a person to eat healthy diet and exercise to prevent weight gain lead a healthy life and live longer. I get that. But realistically, a person can eat pizza everyday and not exercise if they know how much pizza to eat to not go over their TDEE.

This is why I stated that this thread is not for the majority of the MFP community. There is a lot of people that do not fit into a particular category of needing strategies to maintain. Most folks have new habits they have acquired a long the way and do not forget all the failures along the way and times of stumbling before getting it right.

I think the target audience is for those that have had a really bad relationship with food, have been yo-yoing all their life and even those that are actually just trying to loose weight as their single goal in mind without looking a head at what they are to do when the goal is met, ther may be some people that are single minded in which they have their eyes on the "prize" of weight loss only, but this is probably fewer in number than those that fall into the first categories I mentioned.

I think perhaps the thread should have been named something different.. just my opinion.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    What a lot of us are trying to say, (which we have said probably many other times in other posts) is that losing weight has absolutely nothing with "healthy eating" or avoiding processed foods, or eating fast food or what ever. If you choose to avoid some kinds of foods, because it makes you feel healthier, that's fine, but that's not causes weight loss, which in turn will generally cause to you be healthier anyway. Caloric deficit or staying within your range. That's it.