Keto/low carb diet - need some advice

Options
My background:
Nov 2014 - June 2015: lost 33 lbs by logging food, didn't care for macros at all, exercised 4-5 times / week. Only had 5 more lbs to go.
June 2015 - June 2016: didn't lose any more weight, slowly gained 5 lbs, then 5 more, and in the last 6 months 5 more. This is mostly due to not logging food, or when I got back to it, it didn't give me any results and gave up after a couple of weeks. Somehow I wasn't as desperate to lose the weight I guess. I still exercised a lot, 3 weekly Zumba classes on average, sometimes more, + walks with my dogs.

Now:
I figured might as well start a low carb diet, then read about keto. First mistake was that Ive read that you don't really need to count your calories. Big mistake! I'm sure I've gain the last 5 lbs n the past 2 weeks.

Then just 5-6 days ago I decided that I'll log my calories, this will really help me see how low carb, low sugar, high fat and protein I'm really eating. It was very eye opening. Carbs are everywhere.

So in the past, looking back, I ate about 200-250 grams of carb on average. I usually didn't meet my protein goals, the fat fluctuated from low to high. Goal was 1400 cal.

Now, trying to go low carb, goal is still 1400, I'm trying to stay under 50 gr of carbs. It's hard. I usually end up at 60 gr. Also let me say that I don't care for sweets, or pasta or bread or potatoes, so these are not even hard to cut out. But there are carbs in dairy, in vegetables (even zucchini or cabbage) and even in Truvia, 3 gr / packet! These are the places my carbs are coming from.
My sugar intake is pretty low. I usually end up with a lot more grams of fat and protein that I'm supposed to, I'm just so hungry!! I do exercise, but I end up eating back most of those calories.

The past 3 days, my average macros were : fat 60-65%, protein: 25 %, carbs 12%. but that 12 % fluctuates from 45-67 grams.

What am I doin wrong? Or is this going to work? I can't even imagine to try to go lover than 50 gr of carb. I guess one of my downfalls is coffee, I have to have it and I can't have it black. I tried full fat regular creamer (still has carbs), coconut creamer (same thing), but they don't have sugar. I love bulletfroof coffe (coconut oil and grassfed butter) but it gets so bitter, I have to add Truvia. If I added as much as I wanted, I'd still end up with 15 gr of carbs just from that. I settled for 2 packets (6 grams).

Sorry for going on and on and rambling, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and will get results. Feel free to look at my diary.
Thank you
Marianna

Replies

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    And one more question: why am I so darn hungry? Ok, I'm a teacher and right now I'm not working, but I try to stay busy. I do some form of exercise every day (usually burn around 350-400 calories), and although the past few days have been very quiet and relaxing, I shouldn't be this hungry. I though high fat and protein will fill me up more, but that's not what has been happening. Is it just boredom?
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The trick with Keto is to ignore your calories and eat more fat/protein as your body goes through carb/sugar withdrawal. It is indeed torture and most people get Keto flu after 2 weeks. Once your body adjusts to not getting anymore "cheap" energy it will stop freaking out in you and you will naturally eat less thus naturally take in less calories.

I personally started with Keto to break my addiction to sugar and carbs but lost significantly more weight practicing CICO (while avoiding added sugars and white carbs).
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because your going through withdrawals. Your body is angry with you. Stay strong, it will pass. Avocado and bacon are your friends.
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to get the hang of low carb diet, now I am doing keto diet. If you are not mentally ready to overcome cravings it will be hard and you have to keep trying. It takes awhile to develop a habit so even if you mess up one day just start again the next day. Good luck on your keto journey!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I count NET carbs. So, I subtract out total fiber from total carbs. And, I know some people also subtract carbs from sugar alcohols, but I don't know all the science about that.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    thanks everyone. The thing is, I don't have any cravings. I don't crave carbs or sugar, like I said before I never cared for any of them. I could live without sweets for the rest of my life, I prefer sour lol.
    I haven't had any fruit either, I kinda miss that, but no big deal.

I'm afraid not to count calories, because like I said I did that for about a week or so, and I know I gained weight during that time, I could feel it and see it. I think it could get out of control, lol.

My issue is that I think it's hard to only eat meat, cheese, eggs, nuts and bacon, etc. I mean I love it, but I need vegetables. I need large amount of lettuce, cabbage and zucchini, but they have carbs, and that would go way over 50 grams. I guess that's where my sacrifices will come in.

Was I messing things up with having 60 grams of carbs? What happens if I eat mostly fat and protein and carbs are only about 15 % of total calories, but they total over 60 calories overall. Am I not going to see results?
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    I stay at less than 20g net carbs per day (less than 30 total) every day, at 1700 kcal. My diary is public, if you wish to have a look. For any thoughts regarding items that belong to me (like bacon avacado muffins), you can message me if you have questions regarding ingredients.

thank you, I'll check out your diary. Can you look at mine? Do you see anything that's so wrong?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would take this post and copy and paste it into the Low Carber Daily group (after joining). http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There are many supportive people in that group that know their LCHF stuff. They'll be able to help.

My thoughts? The first few days of dietary changes are hard. I think switching to keto is going to affect your energy for a while which may cause hunger. If that is the case, it won't last.

Some find that with the water loss and low electrolytes, that their hunger appears to increase when it is actually a need for salt. If you haven't already increased your sodium to 3000-5000mg per day, perhaps try that and see if it helps.

You may be a volume eater who never enjoys keto. If you normally like a really full plate, keto may not be a great fit. That being said, I eat about 20g of carbs per day and still manage to eat a lot of veggies. I find the trick there is to not "waste" your carbs on non veggies foods. Do not use creamers with carbs. Don't get meats or foods that have carbs. Save your carbs for veggies and nuts. At 50g of carbs you should be able to eat a salad bowl of low GI veggies at one meal plus include a couple of veggie side dishes. I have veggies at lunch and dinner and I am at half the carb count.

Best wishes.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You have to count calories until you go into ketosis because of the hunger and you need to make sure you are hitting your macros. Once in ketosis your hunger goes down alot and that's why you don't need to count anymore.
    Make sure you are drinking a ton of water. And it sounds like you have the wrong kind of truvia. Look at the ingredients and make sure it only has stevia in it. Or stevia with this list of approved sweeteners. http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners
    The powdered stevia they sometimes add in dextrose or other sweeteners that spike your glucose
    Www.ruled.me has a great 30 day keto meal plan I've been following with some modifications. I've been doing keto for 5 days and I've lost 4lbs already
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I stay at less than 20g net carbs per day (less than 30 total) every day, at 1700 kcal. My diary is public, if you wish to have a look. For any thoughts regarding items that belong to me (like bacon avacado muffins), you can message me if you have questions regarding ingredients.

thank you, I'll check out your diary. Can you look at mine? Do you see anything that's so wrong?

The only things I really noticed:
    Personally, I would drop the peanuts for something like walnuts or pecans.
    The carbs from Truvia are likely all Erythritol, so of no concern.
    Ditch the coffee creamer for unsweetened Almond milk (assuming you actually like it). This will save you not only carbs, but calories as well. A lot of them. (8 tbsp unsweetened almond milk is only 15 kcal)
    What are you putting in your BPC that's giving it so many carbs?
    The tomatoes will obviously be a problem for you. If you absolutely must have tomato, Roma tomatoes will serve your low-carb goal better.

Other than that, not looking too bad.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keto works.
    From Time Magazine quote :
    "Research is mounting that saturated fat is better for you than processed carbohydrates like sugar and white bread"
    http://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/

• Marianna93637
    Options

Ditch the coffee creamer for unsweetened Almond milk (assuming you actually like it). This will save you not only carbs, but calories as well. A lot of them. (8 tbsp unsweetened almond milk is only 15 kcal)
    The tomatoes will obviously be a problem for you. If you absolutely must have tomato, Roma tomatoes will serve your low-carb goal better.

Thank you so much!
    peanuts: I don't care so much for them, I could eat walnuts or pecans, but this is what I had at home. It's all gone now, so I'm not even sure if I'll buy any more nuts. If I do I'll probably make my own nut butter out of it.

Bullet proof coffee: it calls for 1 tbs of coconut oil and 1 tbs of grassfed butter, each is 14 grams and about 100-120 cal for each. I actually love the taste and it has no carbs in it. I played around with it a bit, and it turns out the coffee is still great if I just add the butter but not the coconut oil. This reduces the calories to half, about 100 or so. Not bad. I tried just the coconut oil, that didn't work. Not sure if it's still as beneficial without the coconut oil, but it tastes great and replaces the usual creamer with something better.

Almond milk instead of coffee: that wouldn't work :( I've been drinking coffee since I was 14 and in the past year and a half, since I started losing weight, I experimented with everything: no fat, no sugar, almond milk only, soymilk only, milk only, regular creamer (flavoured, enjoy every bit of it and then work it off) -> this has been what I was doing most. Obviously the flavored creamer is out, because it's full of not only carbs but also sugar. But I need something creamy and almond milk is too watery. I think butter, as gross as it sounds is the best choice.

Tomatoes: my all time favorite foods, I can live off of those. Every since I was little. It would be hard to give up, but I can limit them and chose those that have less carb. (didn't know there was a difference)

Thank you!
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    You have to count calories until you go into ketosis because of the hunger and you need to make sure you are hitting your macros. Once in ketosis your hunger goes down alot and that's why you don't need to count anymore.
    I've been doing keto for 5 days and I've lost 4lbs already

That makes a lot of sense. I am counting calories, because this way I know I there's no way I should gain weight, as long as I'm hitting my goal.

Your progress is great!! congratulations! If I lost 4 bs, I'd be ecstatic.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Thank you so much!
    peanuts: I don't care so much for them, I could eat walnuts or pecans, but this is what I had at home. It's all gone now, so I'm not even sure if I'll buy any more nuts. If I do I'll probably make my own nut butter out of it.

Bullet proof coffee: it calls for 1 tbs of coconut oil and 1 tbs of grassfed butter, each is 14 grams and about 100-120 cal for each. I actually love the taste and it has no carbs in it. I played around with it a bit, and it turns out the coffee is still great if I just add the butter but not the coconut oil. This reduces the calories to half, about 100 or so. Not bad. I tried just the coconut oil, that didn't work. Not sure if it's still as beneficial without the coconut oil, but it tastes great and replaces the usual creamer with something better.

Almond milk instead of coffee: that wouldn't work :( I've been drinking coffee since I was 14 and in the past year and a half, since I started losing weight, I experimented with everything: no fat, no sugar, almond milk only, soymilk only, milk only, regular creamer (flavoured, enjoy every bit of it and then work it off) -> this has been what I was doing most. Obviously the flavored creamer is out, because it's full of not only carbs but also sugar. But I need something creamy and almond milk is too watery. I think butter, as gross as it sounds is the best choice.

Tomatoes: my all time favorite foods, I can live off of those. Every since I was little. It would be hard to give up, but I can limit them and chose those that have less carb. (didn't know there was a difference)

Thank you!

BPC: I was referring to the fact that your BPC entries on Tuesday showed 9g carbs.

Butter is actually fantastic as a texture addition to coffee, and with the benefit of not having any carbs.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    The carbs came from 3 packets of Truvia. Somehow that coffee gets so bitter (I use espresso) that I have to use Truvia. I first used 5 packets, but now that carbs count, I went down to 3. Maybe I can get used to 2, in time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    The carbs came from 3 packets of Truvia. Somehow that coffee gets so bitter (I use espresso) that I have to use Truvia. I first used 5 packets, but now that carbs count, I went down to 3. Maybe I can get used to 2, in time.

Ahhh, okay, that makes sense then. Fortunately for you, Erythritol has zero affect on blood sugar, so it is one of the few sugar alcohols that you can ignore entirely, so long as you know that's the only carb in your stuff.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    Oh that sounds great !!! Then maybe I won't log them so it won't throw me off.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Some diabetic sites recommend logging half the carb content of sugar alcohols, but if you aren't diabetic, I wouldn't log them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Some diabetic sites recommend logging half the carb content of sugar alcohols, but if you aren't diabetic, I wouldn't log them.

That's true except for arabitol and erythritol, because their food energy is effectively zero. Even the closest to these two (mannitol) has about 8x the energy of erythritol (1.6 vs 0.2, respectively)