Are bananas bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A banana a day, I lost 55 pounds like that.

Lucky you, you must not be sensitive to carbs.

Sensitive to carbs......what does that actually mean?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How does a person know when they are sensitive to carbs? Curious.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A banana a day, I lost 55 pounds like that.

Lucky you, you must not be sensitive to carbs.

My wife says I'm totally insensitive.
    (I think she was talking about carbs.)

You mean crabs, dude!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have lost over 100 lbs and eat about 5 a week and I'm sensitive to Refried beans...lol..
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    frozen banana "ice cream" is so good. mmmmm

If you don't know what this is , chop a banana, freeze it , then blend it til it's all creamy like. You can add other stuff if you want.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not bananas in particular, but if it fits within your plan then it can work. I was making 1-2 smoothies a day with fruits and vegetables as a meal replacement. I gained 3 pounds in one week. Come to find out I was over eating sugars from fruits and carbs which did cause me to gain weight. After I found out what my macro percentages were suppose to be and stuck to a maximum of 46 grams of sugar I followed them strictly and fat started melting off. I now only eat 0-2 servings of fruit a day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No but for me, I don't like them in my diet for weight loss or maintenance. They don't keep me full and they're not really that low in calorie.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm mad at bananas. I don't like that they can be green and brown simultaneously resulting in an unripe yet bruised banana. Those bananas messed with me one too many times, not getting properly ripe.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'm mad at bananas. I don't like that they can be green and brown simultaneously resulting in an unripe yet bruised banana. Those bananas messed with me one too many times, not getting properly ripe.

Haha i love bananas, but mine have to be yellow with a tinge of green and no black spots!

• queenliz99
    Options

Haha i love bananas, but mine have to be yellow with a tinge of green and no black spots!

Nope, two or three black spots and they are perfect. Wait another couple hours and not so much.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bananas have potassium isnt that suppose to be good for muscle? I think they are good to lose wieght if you are using them for a desert instead of something junky.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope, two or three black spots and they are perfect. Wait another couple hours and not so much.

I don't like them when they get too sweet and mushy.

• queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I don't like them when they get too sweet and mushy.

Nope, me neither. There's that tipping point.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, but they are high in carbs so if that's an issue for you, like myself, then it's best to avoid them or eat them in moderation. Like half of one instead of a whole one.
  • techpubchick
    techpubchick Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I keep it to half a banana a day. There are great benefits from them however, like anything else portion is important so too much of anything could have a bad impact. Though I don't think it is possible to get too much magnesium.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    One of our Aussie cricket players, Peter Siddle, eats 15-20 bananas a day, he is active and over 6ft tall though and follows a vegan diet.