What were some "food rules" you had growing up? How does it affect you, today?

Options

Replies

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My parents did buy themselves treats like chocolate covered Oreos that we couldn't have, but other than that no rules about food really that I can remember. However because I always wolfed down my food my mom would always be scolding me to chew each mouthful 100 times to slow me up.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could think of was I had to finish all the veggies on my plate. My mom cooked as there weren't that many fast food places. She took us to McDonald's once a year and that was only when we went shopping for school clothes. Maybe once a month we would have pizza or Chinese food.
  • bujiebuke
    bujiebuke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ie)
    "Finish everything on your plate"
    "No dessert unless you eat your vegetables"

For me, sweets were a no-no. I even remember my parents taking my Halloween candy to their offices to give to other people so it wouldn't stay in the house.

When I moved out of the house, I felt free and had a free-for-all with sweets. Sweets galore!

A friend of mine struggled with her weight because she grew up always being told to finish food on her plate. Since the portion sizes in America are huge when you dine out, she always felt like she overate and guilty if anything got left behind, even though she was stuffed. She wishes she wouldn't feel guilty because she'd probably eat a comfortable amount if that hadn't been ingrained in her.

What about you?

"Eat more, eat more!". I've been fat ever since.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Definitely also the "EAT MORE" and having a full plate.
    Being Hispanic, there was always food available. Visiting at a relatives home,youd be expected to eat, whether it was a freshly made buttered tortilla, quesadilla or tamales; if you were offered it, you should eat it.
    Also, Ma always cooked a "full" meal, meaning protein with 2-3 sides. Like pork chops with apple sauce, mac n chese, and canned veggies. Or tacos with all the fixings, beans and rice. Always a full plate of food!!
    So thats how I tend to cook. Usually prepare 2+ sides, which is actually excessive amounts of food!

I didn't grow up overweight, the opposite. We were active, sporty, healthy kids. I gained weight after surgery a couple years ago, and I also love to.cook all kinds of foods (and a full plate!)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I hate milk. My mom, who is an excellent cook and wife, mother and human, would put the drinks and condiments out when she set the table. Problem was, she would set the table 30+ minutes before we actually ate, so the milk was warm. We couldn't leave the table until we drank that milk. I don't like the taste of milk and never have but I haven't had milk since I was a teenager. Not even on cereal. Thankfully, there are other ways to get my calcium in.

On the plus side, we rarely ate out or ate things from boxes. Salad and fruit with every meal.

I gained weight due to lack of exercise and my love of cheese, mayonnaise, pizza and salty snacks.

By the way OP, this is a very interesting thread!
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Clean plate at our home as well.

Very, very large portion sizes. We ate mostly healthy foods, especially at dinner. Ex. Dinner would be chicken, brocolli, carrots and rice. But the portion sizes would be massive. I could never understand why my friends ate soooo little when I had sleepovers at their places. Now looking back, I can freely admit it was not them eating too little, but us eating too much.

Similarly, we would very rarely get money to buy snacks at school, but would get FOUR slices of bread with peanutbutter and jam to take with to eat during break times. And then eat another two to four slices of bread when we got home! I'm certain there were days I ate 10 slices of bread - if we had bacon and eggs for breakfast, instead of regular cereals.

Never had sodas in the house as a kid. Mostly drank milk or juice. Unfortunately the soda habit did develop once I left the house...

We had starch with all meals, I'm certain there were days my carbs were over 400 grams. It took a long time to learn that starch really isn't needed with every single meal...
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »

By the way OP, this is a very interesting thread!

Thanks, joans1976! I agree - some people seemed to also have grown up with habits that had a positive effect!

I talk about it with people (clients) because if you start tracking and counting and measuring before asking where some of your perceptions originated from, it can be really hard to understand how to break some cycles.

If someone has been told growing up that they have to finish what is on their plate, then portion control can be pretty tough when there is this devilish voice in the back of your head saying "finish it or else you'll get in trouble", lol. Get rid of the voice = easy to hear your body :smiley:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This is a very useful thread, as I'm raising an 8 year old and trying to manage the crazy balancing act that is feeding a kid and teaching her good eating habits. Lots of good info here.

We didn't have any rules that I recall (apart from basic table manners), just the usual tired parents v. fussy kids battle. My parents both freely admit the compulsion to clean their plates has caused them to be overweight, and I have picked that up as well, but it wasn't a rule as such. They are both fairly successfully fighting the impulse and I am working on it too, though I have problems in restaurants as I can't control the portions and they are always too big, and I hate leaving food uneaten (I am finally learning the wonder of the doggy bag - it's not something that gets offered here, you have to ask for it).

Most of my problems are down to emotional eating due to being a very up-and-down person and having a very keen sense of taste, meaning food is like crack to me. That's more of an influence than childhood rules.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    My mother also has an ED.
    She keeps her weight down by snacking on little carby things all day and lots of activity.

This was my mum too. Fat was banned and i still find it hard to eat fatty or greasy things - the feeling of it in my mouth grosses me out. I was brought up counting calories and home cooking.

High calorie foods were banned
    Second helpings were banned
    Sodas were bannned

And i was constantly asked if i should be eating that. As a teen i developed a habit of eating sweets in secret whenever i fell out with mum as a way to spite her. I only just stopped this habit when she died.

I was underweight but told i had a protruding tummy and a big round bum. I was nagged about my posture all the time.

She was an amazing and loving woman who thought she was doing the best for her family and dealing with her own demons. Yet for so many things she reall messed me up. This is one reason i dont want children of my own.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I too had both the goods and the bads growing up.

The good:
    Meals were made mainly from scratch, from raw meat and fish, vegetables, grains, milk and butter. Home made dinner almost every day. My mother made simple, but nutritious meals.
    Food was varied and plentiful.
    There are "every day foods" for normal days, and there are "party foods" for special occasions.
    Eating out was a treat, for birthdays or when traveling. No food is off limits on these occasions.
    Try to stick to meals, avoid snacking and grazing, but okay to eat when hungry.
    Water for thirst; soda and squash for fun.

The bad:
    Clean your plate - even if someone else serves you. You aren't full until you can't get down another bite, and mother knows when you've reached that point. Until then, tense and sobbing. When finished, happy, relieved, victory.
    If someone offers you food, you accept, and eat it up.
    Portion control was totally disregarded; in fact it was regarded as a joke. I couldn't believe how everybody else could eat so little.
    Food was made and bought in so large amounts that it could feed a small army. We ate as much as we possibly could, but lots was thrown out, too, after a week or two in the fridge.
    Sugar is bad, so no candy for you - ever, if mom can help it. This contributed to me overeating the stuff as an adult.
    Thirst is a sign of diabetes, and mom has diabetes, so drinking water is highly discouraged.

The crazy thing is that we were quite poor, but important that nobody should go hungry, so food was a priority. But food costs money too, so WHY were we forced to overeat, and WHY did the idea of estimating reasonable portion sizes never materialize?

I had to relearn a lot. But I also had lots of useful experiences and principles that I just had to apply.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's weird, but I had no food rules when I was a kid. I ate my vegetables and finished my plate without problems, it never even occurred to me that not eating vegetables or drinking anything but water when thirsty was even an option or something other people did. Everyone I knew did that, so I did it too without giving it any thought. I've always liked vegetables so there is also that. Portions were big overall so that was a bad thing.

Dessert was only available on occasion anyway, and we did not have it right after meals so it did not take precedence and in my mind was something entirely different from a real meal. We usually had it in the evening when we would sit together as a family, or on birthdays.

For sugary or salty snacks I had a very limited allowance, so that was automatically controlled by the limited budget and I could only afford to buy a single serving of one thing a day. Almost all the kids I knew had the same small allowance, so it felt normal and I did not feel like I had to compensate when I grew up. That one was really helpful because right now I have no problems eating a single serving of sweet or salty snacks.

I think that because I had no real restrictions but nutritious food was always more abundant than fast food I just developed good eating habits food-wise, but not portion-wise. I eat nutrient rich food out of preference and every single thing in my diary that may look like I'm deliberately trying to "eat clean" is actually just me eating the foods I've always liked and I'm used to eating. If in addition to normalizing food (no strict rules, no stress around food) I also had normalized portions I probably wouldn't have gained weight.

Edit: now that I think of it, there was one rule. I was not allowed to take more than a very small handful of nuts when we visited people and had nuts served. They were very expensive so it was not polite to eat many. Probably why I started buying them in pounds when I got a job.
  • ToastofLou
    ToastofLou Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I find this so interesting because at nearly 30 I've recently moved back home with my parents. Portion size is a big deal for me, the food is piled on my plate so much so that I actually am unable to cut up things without other things flying off the plate! And if you leave anything my mum gets all offended and majorly p'sd off. You're also not permitted into her kitchen at dinner time. She and only she is the cook.
  • crepesuzetteorange
    crepesuzetteorange Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a family of seven, where eating 3 meals a day was the norm. However, the only times we had all three at home was during the weekends or holidays.

Dinner was homecooked at 6pm, finished with plain yogurt or fruit salad

At weekends when everyone was at home we had a late breakfast/lunch which was a huge english breakfast.

On a saturday/sunday we had high tea with a home baked victoria sponge and a cup of tea, one cake share by 7. The other treat was a box of twiglets and 2 packets of iced gems, again shared by the 7 of us. It was always the same and we never got bored of it either. Sunday evening meal was always a roast chicken dinner.

There was always a ton of fruit in the house that we could eat whenever we wanted. If ever we were hungry outside meal times we would usually have something like a round of sandwiches with ham or cheddar cheese and lots of salad, or fish and chips (one portion), but this was always shared by all those that were around at the time. The only thing we ate alone was fruit, even that was shared if anyone else was around though. We always did it like this and never questioned it. plus we really enjoyed eating together.

We grew up with a inbuilt sense that you never take more than you can eat and never threw food away.

I loved eating like this and still do.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cleaning your plate! I remember being little and getting full before my plate was finished, but we would get in trouble if we didn't finish our plate.. now it's hard for me to figure out if I'm full or not.

Also, mom would give us a snack/treat before bed.. that was a hard habit to break.

But we never had soda in the house and nor me or my sisters have a soda addiction.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    We never had rules growing up. Which is maybe the reason why I have whatever I want when I want. Or i did. Now its just better controlled.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Cleaning your plate, absolutely. At home, I don't find this is such a big deal since I'm using a food scale. At restaurants, it's harder, even if I get a box early on.

We did eat out a lot as a kid. My parents didn't cook, well, my mom cooked very few things and it was always easier to just go somewhere. So I didn't really ever learn how to cook, which has affected me as an adult. I do know that I can follow a recipe (for the most part), but meal prep drives me crazy sometimes and I end up sticking with things that are ridiculously easy to prepare.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Being forced to eat when not hungry was miserable. I would get sick eating breakfast so early, so making me eat it was pointless because half of the time I threw it up anyway. Making me sit there until I ate all of my dinner. Sometimes I would sit until bedtime, then they would relent and allow me to sleep. I just didn't require as much food when I was younger. I also had a lot of Happy Meals when my mom was in charge of me. It wasn't a treat, it was a normal thing.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh and when we would eat out, I really had to eat everything, because it was supposedly expensive and they said they wasted their money otherwise.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    never had food rules like that, and i dont for my kids either.

now, id get mad if they dish up a HUGE portion and dont eat it all because its wasting food (because theyll throw it in the trash), but they have learned to dish up a smaller portion, and if they want more, to go back and get it. even if they dish up more than they can eat, i only *kitten* about them wasting the possible leftovers to eat later, and not the fact they didnt finish their plate.