I'm really excited about going on vacation but...

I've been on a good streak with MFP. 25 days! I'm going on a cruise in a few days and I'm worried about logging. I most likely just won't be able to, but I'm not sure. How concerned are you with logging while on vacation? Vacation is rare for me. I don't want to be stressed when I'm supposed to relax. Opinions or suggestions?

Replies

• khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    I'm going on a trip to Hawaii in October and I was just considering the same thing, how faithfully I would log, and if I would even want to. But it all comes down to how bad you want to stay on track to becoming truly healthy. I don't think that once a day, logging your food, would hurt.

To me, that still leaves plenty of time for relaxing.

Good luck! :0)
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Congrats on your streak. I would try your very best to log SOMETHING. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate and it doesn't have to be EVERY SINGLE THING during this time but at least putting something in there will let you continue your streak. Also, don't stress it. If you can only log in and log an orange juice you drank - Whatever. Better then nothing. Just my opinion.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I think it depends on your perspective. Are you going on vacation to eat? Or are you going on vacation to relax, try new things, see new places? You can still prioritize your weight loss while you are away. You can be super strict on your calorie budget and still have a great vacation. You know what foods are triggers, so dont over indulge. You know what foods are worth the calorie cost, so include them. Allow yourself only ONE indulgent thing each day, and make it count - watch the calories in alcohol too. Be super active! If it truly is a lifestyle change, then vacation should not derail your weight loss. Dont use it as an excuse to blow everything you've learned (or lost) up to now. JMO though, but it worked for me on my vacation in May - came back lighter due to watching calories and more activity.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Personally, unless I am camping in the backcountry, I choose to log. I eat as closely to normal during the day as I can and then have lovely suppers and desserts at night.

You can always reset your streak when you come home. Sometime we are just out of range. Have an amazing and relaxing trip! :D
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    You won't have cell reception unless you change your plan or add international service before your trip. You can pay to use wifi on the ship, or use their Internet cafe but they also charge a large fee. I always lose my streak because I've gone on three cruises! Best vacations ever. Not great for the diet though. Just do your best at picking the healthier choices half the time (so you can still enjoy having treats on vacation of course!) and stay busy and active. You'll love it if you haven't gone before.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I would just enjoy my vacation and worry about things when I get back. You won't undo everything on one vacation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm on vacation in a few days. I'm going to be mindful enough to not gorge, but I'm going to relax and enjoy my time away.

Oh, and I just sent you a message.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Don't waste the money trying to log on a cruise. The satellite time is expensive & slow.

Pay attention to portions. Take the stairs when possible. Do active excursions. Write it all down & log it when you get home or in the airport while you are waiting for your flight home & have wifi.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    I recently returned from an All Inclusive vacation, I logged in to MFP every day mainly just to keep up my days logged in streak. I treated it as the long awated sunny vacation it was meant to be, I didn't restrict anything, ate what ever I choose, I also swam a lot, walked a lot and had to deal with some very hot days. On returning, yes I gained weight, but it was only 3.5 lb. My advice, enjoy your time away and do what ever makes you feel good.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Don't sweat it. This is a lifestyle and that means sometimes you have to accept you can't mfp everyday or count every calorie. Doesn't mean you can't journal what you eat to the best you can on paper if you feel like it. I've been camping twice in the last month with no cell service for extended periods. Is what it is. Relax and enjoy your cruise.
  • tgrieger87
    tgrieger87 Posts: 37 Member
    I was in Puerto Rico for a week and ate pretty healthy, but didn't log a single thing once I landed. It's sad to see the streak go away, but in the end it doesn't mean anything. Do you and log when you get back!
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    If you can't log because of cell service, bring a notebook to keep yourself aware of what you are eating. Not necessarily to limit what you eat but just to know what you are doing. I think you should have developed an understanding by now how food will affect you. If you aren't going on the cruise to "binge on amazing food" then I would suggest making intelligent choices like only eat until you are almost full & if you want to try something that looks delicious but you know is an unhealthy choice then share it with someone you are traveling with so you don't eat the whole thing by yourself.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I have had long vacations and/or a cruise every year since I started losing weight and for the 6 years I have been maintaining.

My last vacation was a 3weeks and included a 2 week Caribbean cruise, one of my favourites.

Logging on board can be expensive because of the Internet cost. Don't bother with it.

Know your portion sizes and stay close to them.

Deny yourself nothing, especially if you are tasting new foods in a foreign country, but don't feel you have to eat the whole thing.

If it doesn't please you don't eat it. There will be more food the next meal.

Decide what will be your big meal for the day and make the other meals lighter. They post the dinner menu every morning so it is easy to decide what you want for dinner and plan the rest of your day.

Have sauces and dressings served on the side. This is done willingly.

Grilled and steamed is always available if the food is on the menu prepared another way. This is also a very simple request to make.

Walk everywhere and use the stairs.

Do fun but active things. We do a lot of walking, swimming and snorkelling on shore.

Make friends with your bartender. I am tiny but love cocktails, my treat on cruises, so I find a friendly bar tender that knows I like lower alcohol, juice and 0cal pop in drinks. Makes ordering and enjoying a drink or 3 so much easier.

Remember you will come home with a ton of water weight, I generally have 5+ lbs, and your true weight will take about a week to show.

Remember that this is a life style and a couple of pounds gain on a vacation is fine- you know how to lose it.

Most of all enjoy yourself.

Cheers, h.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I haven't quite figured out vacation myself. I go in with the best of intentions but it never really pans out how I plan it.

I guess my advice would be to enjoy yourself, limit the damage and get right back to it after the cruise.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Log your meals on a notebook, and perhaps get a close friend or family member just to log in and out of your MFP. For the streak, all you need to do is log in and log out.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Also, if I can't write things out by hand to log, I take pics of my food with my hand in the shot for scale.
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think it's a very personal decision- what works for everyone else here may or may not be best for you.

What I would personally do is try to continue logging to some extent, even if it's going to be very inaccurate. For me, it's sort of a way to keep myself in check and be more mindful of what I'm actually putting in my mouth vs. gorging myself and grabbing at whatever presents itself to me. It might just be the thing that means the difference between enjoying myself on vacation and trying a bunch of great foods until I'm satisfied and gorging myself and eating mindlessly and carelessly because I gave myself permission to

But that's just my personality and relationship with food. My current needs are to be continuously aware of what I'm eating. I still allow myself to eat way more for special events (like weddings, holidays, etc.), but I'm more choosy about the foods I eat and how much. 1,900 calories can quickly become 2,900 calories for me from tons of little things adding up, that don't end up making me feel any more satisfied.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited July 2016
    lperry1725 wrote: »
    I've been on a good streak with MFP. 25 days! I'm going on a cruise in a few days and I'm worried about logging. I most likely just won't be able to, but I'm not sure. How concerned are you with logging while on vacation? Vacation is rare for me. I don't want to be stressed when I'm supposed to relax. Opinions or suggestions?

Have you been on a cruise before? You're not going to log, unless you want to have no fun.

If you have the willpower, stick with eggs for breakfast. Sometimes they have an omelet bar. Have a little fruit. At least you start the day with a low-calorie and filling meal. Stay away from the pastries, pancakes and other high-calorie junk as best as you can. Not saying it will be easy, but try your hardest.

Look around. You will see people getting upwards of 1,000 calories just for breakfast.

There is a saying about cruises. You start the cruise as a passenger and end the cruise as cargo.