Any advice for introverts?

DPHender
DPHender Posts: 8 Member
Hey there.
I used MFP a few years ago to lose about 60 pounds. Then I've been away for a while (long story, not important).
So now I'm back to try for more. When I used it before, I never bothered with any of the forums or other social stuff. So basically that's what I'm asking now -- I can look around and see what's available, sure. But does all that stuff actually help? Maybe someone could help me understand how it helps. I'm not normally an overly social person anyway, so does it really get any easier because there's a chat room?

Seriously, it sounds like a stupid question, but really -- I don't get it.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm an introvert too, and the discussion boards have helped me enormously in my quest to lose and maintain weight. I have learnt a lot and discovered more. Writing is easier than talking. I'm not into the social aspect per se, so I don't venture into Chit chat, Fun and games, Challenges, Motivation and support, or Introduce yourself. I don't see the other boards as a chat room.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    If you're an introvert, your energy is sapped by interaction with others, so simply keep it to that which helps you, whether directly or indirectly. There is no need to be the life and soul of ever single thread.
  • ouryve
    And I agree, the what colour is your calorie deficit threads aren't for me. Stick with the less chatty, more specific stuff.
  • DPHender
    I guess what I'm looking for is to understand how it helps specifically.

I get it on one level. Like I can see if someone posts asking "does the Atkins plan work" or "what exercises are best for older people" then you can learn stuff that way. Although that's usually also stuff you could get from a websearch too.

And really what puzzles me most is what benefit there is to "friend-ing" people on here or having a coach or a group experience.
  • ouryve
    I actively ignore friend requests - unless I'm married to the person :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    DPHender wrote: »
    I guess what I'm looking for is to understand how it helps specifically.

I get it on one level. Like I can see if someone posts asking "does the Atkins plan work" or "what exercises are best for older people" then you can learn stuff that way. Although that's usually also stuff you could get from a websearch too.

And really what puzzles me most is what benefit there is to "friend-ing" people on here or having a coach or a group experience.

I answered that in my first post. This is a lonely road. Do you not find support helpful in life? For anything?

And I have a coach as well. He's helpful to me because he tells me what to do so I don't go crazy, and so that I can get stronger and lift heavier weights-safely.
  • DPHender
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes, it helps immensely. I'm an introvert and I have Asperger syndrome, so…

I've learned a lot from the forums and I have all different people on my friends list who make me see things in different ways or put certain things into perspective. Without the social side of MFP, I would have been a 1200 calorie girl and failed miserably on my journey to be healthy and fit.

I know a bit about aspergers so that helps. Glad it works for you, too. But you confused me with the "1200 calorie girl" statement. How does that apply?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    I'm an introvert and shy. I've done, lots of friends (and it was fun and met some great people), and I've done no friends. (Too busy)

Have to agree with the smart ladies. It's good to have people to talk to that understand macros and calories. Outside of mfp not many people do.

There's only one way to find out if you like it, give it a try. There's always the "remove friend" button of you find out it's not your thing.
  • blondieellie
    blondieellie Posts: 46 Member
    Yes it helps. I'm an introvert too btw.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am not shy, but I am an introvert. The forums are good places to talk about your fitness journey with others who are just starting out...and with people who have been maintaining their weight & fitness for years. Some of the folks here are very knowledgeable and can point you to resources that are helpful.

Because I can control when and how much interaction I have with other people, and which threads I choose to participate in, I find it to be very helpful and not draining unless somebody is snarky. I have figured out who a few of the smart alecks are and I just avoid them, it's easy. There is even an option to "ignore" somebody, which means their posts will be "whited out" unless you click on it.

So my advice is to participate for awhile and then decide if it's for you. I didn't participate much on the forums 3 years ago, just used it to log my food and progress. That's all I wanted out of the site at that time.

Good luck on your journey.

Don't forget to click on the pale yellow star above the top post of the page of your threads to bookmark them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I use the social aspect of the site because, well- I like people. I can't say having friends on here has helped me lose weight one way or the other, but the forums do come in handy if you have a question and want to crowdsource the information.
    The bottom line is, if you don't want to socialize, don't, if you do, do. Some people find it motivating to have others who are also trying to lose weight, and like to encourage and be encouraged on their weight loss journey.
  • DPHender

Don't forget to click on the pale yellow star above the top post of the page of your threads to bookmark them.

Heh... yeah, I almost missed that. Also had my notifications set wrong at first.
    Since this is basically my first post ever, good advice -- thanks.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    edited July 2016
    @DPHender See? helpful already, yes? ;)
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    I'm introverted and really don't need "support" or motivation from strangers to lose weight. I actually accidentally stumbled on the message boards once when I was messing with the app on my phone. I thought it would be nice to see if I can learn anything. Frankly, I've learned that there's a lot of bad info out there and a LOT of people have no idea about nutrition. It is interesting to read some things, but I stay away from the "social" part, the chit chat, etc.

I tend to stick with a couple different areas - nutrition and fitness. I guess you need to see if there's anything you can get out of the message boards. I don't get a lot, but once in a while I learn something new.