Carbs or fat? Totally confused

Options
I read in an article about how quickly one can loss weight. After reading all i came to conclusion that having less carb food (between 50-100 g or even <50 g) would help in loosing your fat fast. But for having less carb one have to eat more Fat which maintain your daily calories need. I am really confused. It is like sin to have so much fat when you are trying to get rid of your weight, eat fat but in less amount (I weigh 194 lbs, height 183 cm & age 22). For me it is estimated to have 2200 calories, 73 g fat and 275 g carbs to loose my 6 lbs in 4 weeks. But i am trying to have less carbs foods (Max. 150g carbs), so where to put my 500 calories that less carbs creates. Please suggest whether i have to eat recommended carbs or put my required carbs calories any where else. I am really confused.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you lower carbs, eat fat and oils: peanuts, sunflower seeds, bacon, dark meat chicken, full fat salad dressing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    alexreyn13 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong peeps, but losing weight all comes down to a caloric deficit.

Your macro ratio's make no difference in fat loss (unless you have a medical condition). I think people on low carb INITIALLY lose a larger amount of weight due to a water and glycogen "dump", but after that you'll resume losing weight steadily just like anyone else.

You're right ...I've read trials where after 3 months weight loss has equalised from low carb to low fat approaches

Low carb I found can play with your head and long term commitment because of the water weight fluctuation ..if I faltered, even after a decent time and loss (we are talking 6 months and 20-30lbs here) the immediate weight gain would completely destroy my motivation and I'd cycle back up ...low carb kept me yo-yoing for a decade or two ...but that's my experience
  • Krisfit40
    Krisfit40 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you read it again, I did not say you cant lose weight eating whatever you want.. I said you can lose more weight eating cleaner..
  • Krisfit40
    Options
    and BTW, I was just giving info.. not calling anyone out or trying to argue with anyone.. Thx
  • Krisfit40
    Options
    congrats on the weightloss also.. 94 lbs is pretty amazing!!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Krisfit40 wrote: »
    If you read it again, I did not say you cant lose weight eating whatever you want.. I said you can lose more weight eating cleaner..

Evidence?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    this is a short article that I found fairly easy by searching are all calories equal. there were a ton of other articles to read also.. maybe I'm wrong.. and if so I'm ok with that, but I like to try and give good advice so to be attacked while trying to help caught me off gaurd. It's amazing how quick people are on these forums to try and prove everyone wrong lol. Have a nice night peeps. I won't be participating in this debate anymore lol

Cross posted with you there @Krisfit40

sorry you're feeling attacked..

The forums are for debate, discussion and not just "I know best" ...I hope if you view it like that, or even read others posts in muppet voices, your inference of being attacked is abated

...it would be good for more people to join the debate and be a bit more robust in their responses to critical analysis of proofs...it is not personal
  • jxb1959
    jxb1959 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the calories camp too. I don't pay any attention to macros, since I eat food and not an idealized mixture of fat, protein, and carb! The term "carb" embraces such a wide variety of substances, -- from white sugar to undigestible types of fiber -- that it's not a very helpful concept. I count calories and pay attention to whether or not a given food or a given meal controls my hunger. I eat more of the foods that manage my hunger well and save tasty foods that don't reduce my hunger for occasional treats.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    calories must be in a deficit BUT!! The quality DOES MATTER.. macros make a difference and so does food type.. example.. If you eat fast food all day but stay within your macros you will not lose weight like someone who eats clean to hit their macros.. You can even narrow this down to things like using fish instead of steak to get in your protein.. The body will process and use cleaner food better. SO DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE. and another tid bit.. Don't be scared to eat more protein to supplement the decrease in carbs.. Raising fats is ok but the benefits of protein are immeasurable..

Everything you said is wrong.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    phrunch wrote: »
    It's a common misconception that you shouldn't eat fat when you're losing weight. I eat between 20 and 30% of my calories each day from fat and I've been losing 3 lbs a week for almost a month.

Making sure your calories are right is all that matters.

20% to 30% calories from fat is not a lot of fat. I would consider 20% to be a "low fat" diet. Given where most people's macros end up, I would consider 30% to be the most reasonable target for most people, and even a bit higher will probably not be a problem.