Starting A Sugar Detox Today - Looking for encouragement

Options

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    Sugar is hidden in many foods using unfamiliar and/or healthier sounding names. Here's a helpful article regarding hidden sugars and how to spot them:

10 Sneaky Names For Sugar

That article is funny. If the actual item doesn't give me a clue that it has some sort of sugar in it, then I should be pushed off the earth.

example: Agave nectar on a JAR OF AGAVE NECTAR! lol

IKR, who would have thought that Agave nectar would contain agave nectar. The things you can learn on the interwebz.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sugar is hidden in many foods using unfamiliar and/or healthier sounding names. Here's a helpful article regarding hidden sugars and how to spot them:

That article is funny. If the actual item doesn't give me a clue that it has some sort of sugar in it, then I should be pushed off the earth.

It was quoting Lustig on the sugar in orange juice that got me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Where you are at is where I want to be. I'm aware there will be slip ups, but for now I need to get the eating under control. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It gives me hope.

Read the link @diannethegeek posted above, I think you will find some inspirational stories from people who used to feel the same way you do but learned to practice moderation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It was quoting Lustig on the sugar in orange juice that got me.

I was only skimming up to that point because obvious click bait article stating obvious information is, well, obvious. It reminded me of the "warning: may contain peanuts" on my bag of peanuts. :expressionless:
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Where you are at is where I want to be. I'm aware there will be slip ups, but for now I need to get the eating under control. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It gives me hope.

While getting your eating under control there is nothing wrong with forbidding and eliminating foods that you will overeat. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. I used to beat myself up because I wouldn't or couldn't practice moderation. Embracing that I do not have to practice moderation has freed me. Eliminating foods has helped me keep to my calorie goal which allows me to lose and maintain weight.

While I don't think the foods on my forbidden list will be there forever, I know that I won't continue losing amd maintaining weight if I don't control what I eat.

Food addiction is a contentious subject here. Many people are afraid of the conversation so won't allow it to happen. Will only argue it to death instead. It doesn't matter what people think here about it. What matters is you getting control of it. Don't let the arguing about it set you back. Just ignore the unhelpful posts like the jokes and denials that it exists.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »

While getting your eating under control there is nothing wrong with forbidding and eliminating foods that you will overeat. Moderation doesn't work for everyone. I used to beat myself up because I wouldn't or couldn't practice moderation. Embracing that I do not have to practice moderation has freed me. Eliminating foods has helped me keep to my calorie goal which allows me to lose and maintain weight.

While I don't think the foods on my forbidden list will be there forever, I know that I won't continue losing amd maintaining weight if I don't control what I eat.

Food addiction is a contentious subject here. Many people are afraid of the conversation so won't allow it to happen. Will only argue it to death instead. It doesn't matter what people think here about it. What matters is you getting control of it. Don't let the arguing about it set you back. Just ignore the unhelpful posts like the jokes and denials that it exists.

Who's arguing? Are we reading the same thread?

• ShelJomfp
    ShelJomfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I finally broke down and decided I've had enough. It's time for me to break my addiction to sugar. I'm horribly addicted.

For the next 30 days I will:
    1) Eat as much fruit/veggies as I want

What a great goal!

Vegetables and fruits are, unfortunately, not 'free' foods. Rather than concentrate on the caloric goal you could stay within your carbohydrate macro by choosing fruits and vegetables lower on the glycemic index to help you maximize your choices along your sugar-free journey. Some experience fewer cravings by going low carb but your goal is to find what works for you no matter what I or anyone else suggests.

In general, I would avoid or minimize consumption of:
    • potatoes (white, sweet and yams)
    • carrots
    • bananas
    • apples
    • peaches and nectarines

I would eat more:
    • green, leafy vegetables and large salads
    • celery
    • asparagus
    • berries

Good luck!
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also am a sugar addict, although I agree that it's more accurate to call it carbohydrate addict. When I control the carb intake I find a huge reduction in cravings for sugary foods and high carb stuff. I found "the carbohydrate addict's diet" book extremely helpful. That may not be exactly the name of the book but close to that. Good luck on your journey to better health and control.
  • wmenne6
    wmenne6 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Read up on sugar types & when you absolutely need to add to a recipe, try using things like maple syrup, malt, honey instead of the processed sugars. Different sugars keep the blood sugar more level or something like that. I pretty much gave up the sweets myself & have been quite successful. Wishing you the same success! (I see lots of helpful hints in this thread.)
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    wmenne6 wrote: »
    Read up on sugar types & when you absolutely need to add to a recipe, try using things like maple syrup, malt, honey instead of the processed sugars. Different sugars keep the blood sugar more level or something like that. I pretty much gave up the sweets myself & have been quite successful. Wishing you the same success! (I see lots of helpful hints in this thread.)

Nope sugar is sugar no matter where it came from.
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    No. You're experiencing cravings, not sugar addiction. If you need to cut back on satisfying treats for a while then okay, but you may want to also consider moderation. Good luck with finding a method that works for you.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6

Thank you for the suggestion. Moderation does not work for me. I've tried so many times and I end up bingeing. Regardless of whether or not I have a sugar addiction, I need to cut down on my intake dramatically.

I have been there as well. I was convinced that I couldn't control myself around certain foods and that I should just not ever eat them again. I also realized that life without a few treats here and there seemed pretty miserable. I chose to learn moderation. It was a long process. I started by not having those items in the house (ice cream was a big one, I could eat the whole tub in two days). When I wanted some, I would go purchase a single serving. Every once in a while, to test myself, I would bring home either several single servings, or a small container. For the longest time, I would still eat the whole thing (or several small servings). It took about two years. I can now have ice cream in my freezer, and have a single serving when I want it. Learning to moderate can be a difficult process, but it can be done with time and patience (and a lot of accepting that slips will happen). But you do need to decide if it is something you want and are willing to work for.

I had the same problem with pop. I started cutting back by allowing myself only one can a day. Now I just don't crave it like I used to. I drink it maybe 3 times a week. Good luck with your sugar elimination. Take some medication for the headaches as soon as you feel them setting in.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thank you. So much. I really feel a lot of pressure to be able to eat in moderation. Right now I can't. It's like asking an alcoholic to only have one drink. Sure it's possible, but it's easier if there's no "booze" at all.
  • BethanyFrench
    BethanyFrench Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    sugar is the devil!!! Try Trim Healthy Mama way of eating... it will knock your socks off with awesomeness. It is a sugar free, no blood sugar spikes principle, and you will never feel deprived. I do it dairy free, so there's still a lot I don't do, but it is amazing. I use stevia and stevia/ethritol blends exclusively for my sweeteners, now. You can totally do this!!!!!!! There are some supplements I take that help with cravings, too, but I'd say going THM first would totally be the way to go!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank you. So much. I really feel a lot of pressure to be able to eat in moderation. Right now I can't. It's like asking an alcoholic to only have one drink. Sure it's possible, but it's easier if there's no "booze" at all.

Yeah there are certain foods/treats I can't moderate so i don't bring them into the house. Hubby bought a pack of my favourite chocolate bickies the other day, i haven't had one yet even though i really, really want one, because i know one will turn into eating the whole packet! So i'll wait until he's eaten all but 2 of them and then i'll eat those last 2.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wmenne6 wrote: »

those are all processed sugars to a point. and your body cant tell one sugar from another. only difference is sugar from fruits and veggies are broken down slower in your body because of the fiber.
  • BreakinChains
    BreakinChains Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sugar is the devil!!! Try Trim Healthy Mama way of eating... it will knock your socks off with awesomeness. It is a sugar free, no blood sugar spikes principle, and you will never feel deprived. I do it dairy free, so there's still a lot I don't do, but it is amazing. I use stevia and stevia/ethritol blends exclusively for my sweeteners, now. You can totally do this!!!!!!! There are some supplements I take that help with cravings, too, but I'd say going THM first would totally be the way to go!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not ready to go that far yet. I cut artificial sweeteners from my diet several years ago, and I can't stand the taste they give foods. I'd rather go without than use them. But that's just me.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

No pressure to moderate now. Do the elimination. It does help many people. The only difference that comes from a lack of addiction is to encourage you to learn to moderate eventually. Not now.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

In my opinion it is self torture having food around that makes you feel crazy trying not to eat it. Why do that to yourself because you think you should be able to practice moderation? Sure, I think I should be able to practice it without white knuckles but I can't. That doesn't mean I am a failure as a human being. It means I know what my limits are. It means I haven't given up and said oh well since I won't moderate I might as well overeat. That is an accomplishment.

I wish you luck! Many people here don't moderate so don't feel alone.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

you do know that protein can spike insulin as well right? its sugar free? so does that mean no fruits or veggies? because they are carbs. I looked on their website and one of their drinks is called the shrinker and it claims to shrink fat cells and speed up metabolism, which is woo. its not going to happen.and they talk about adrenal fatigue,more woo. OP if you want to cut out processed and refined sugars thats fine. if that works for you then do it. but there are no special diets,if you have to cut out sugar then thats your choice. if it helps you then thats great.
  • Sea_Witch
    Sea_Witch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Breakinchains, 7 days ago I also decided to cut out sugar and high fructose corn syrup (in all its forms). Keep in mind that I've never considered myself to have a sweet tooth, I don't really care for desserts but sometimes I crave Coke and have weird episodes of low blood sugar. Based on myfitnesspal I go way over in sugar. I have done really good for this week and have been surprised by the difference in how I'm feeling. I feel like my energy level throughout the day is more even and increased. I am still HUNGRY but it is different somehow. Sometimes I feel like there is something coursing through my veins that makes me feel like I have to eat, even though I am technically not hungry. For the past few days, that has vanished and all I feel is simply hungry (I hope that makes sense). Instinctively, I've always felt like eating sugar makes me add body fat (enter myfitnesspal "experts" here) but of course it could be because it makes me eat more. Either way, I am very pleased with how I feel and the fact that I have already lost some weight (some of which I know is body fat). Also, I feel like my general anxiety has decreased. Good luck with your detox! Let us know how it is going.