Waist or Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started at 235 pounds and 40 inches in April 2011.

I've been down to 186 and 36 inches.

Lately my weight goes between 189 and 192, but waist has been steady at 36 for 5 years.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Waist. I never weigh myself but how my clothes fit and my waist measurement tells me if I'm getting bigger. I actually don't care how much I weigh.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Neither. My health & fitness. .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Of those two choices, weight. If I drop more poundage, my waist *might* get smaller maybe like half an inch. I have the flab on the front while the rest of my waist is skin, bones, and organs. Also, my doctor goes by BMI for "health" so the further into "normal" BMI numbers, the "healthier" I am.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Weight is more important to me because I'm a competitive runner and I will run faster at a lower weight.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My waist is proportionately by far the smallest part of my body and also the place I lose weight first so it's no real indication of how well I'm doing. I'd say my thighs and bum but my weight is also an important indicator. Added to that, how I actually feel in myself.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Personally my waist has never been that big, so I had to focus on weight/body fat %. Even at 165 lbs my waist was 29inches, which is about the largest it's ever been.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had a 50 pound beer gut. The scale measures progress but the waist lets you show it off.
  • monicamuhonen
    monicamuhonen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Deffiently waist/ measurements! You can weigh the same, or even more and have a lower body fat percentage. The scale will only tell you how much gravity pulls down on you, not what counts in the long run
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    The weight of my bars. As long as I'm making weight for my higher level meets and fitting into my belt (I did get one where I was at the outer range of it on purpose), I'm good.

Yes, I'm working on slowly cutting down a few kg, only so I don't have to water load going into meets. It will be nice not having that stress on my shoulders the week of a meet. I also don't really care about what my waist measurement is, as long as I'm still good in my belt. In fact, how my belt is fitting is the most frequent way I measure my waist.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Waist is more important in my opinion, since lean muscle weights more than fat.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    At this point, weight is more important to me. My waist doesn't change much and even knowing what it is, there's not much I can DO about it. Weight, OTOH, is my only clue into energy balance and much more actionable.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Waist. But usually can't get there without spending time on weight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm the only person who sees my scale weight but everyone sees my waist size - so waist matters more.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Waist for me, because I am built straight up and down, and put fat mostly lower belly... So if my hip measurement and weight increases but waist holds steady I think that's muscle (more butt!). Not sure that would work for curvy build, some ladies stay small in the waist even when they get fatter.