I'm losing my mind...:(

Options
1235»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP: I feel you. I have been going through the same thing for years. All of my thyroid tests have come back within the normal range. I, like you, am probably eating more than I think. BUT, I am still eating much LESS than I was before and working out much MORE than ever. There should be a deficit regardless. I have been lifting 3 times a week and doing met con 2x a week and hiking a 3,000-4,000 foot mountain almost every weekend! My journal is open but I haven't really logged correctly in awhile. I needed a "head break". Enjoy my Jane's Addiction concert beer binge entry from the other day!

I am going to be vigilant with my weighing and see what happens in the next month.

TLDR: I can relate.

SAME HERE. I used to hate exercising, but then on June 11, 2015 I joined Orange Theory and even though I haven't lost weight, I feel 10X better after each workout. So I've been more active physically then I have ever been in my entire life. The problem is that I also weigh more than I ever have. :(

Between Fitbit, Myfitnesspal and my short lived run with WW app, I feel like jumping off the metaphorical cliff sometimes. But I don't want to get worse, so I won't give up.

As for everyone asking me about HOW I measure everything when I cook. I use an electric scale, and measuring devices like measuring cups and spoons etc. I even have a special measuring cup just for liquids. So please, stop asking about how I measure, I know how much I'm eating when I'm home. When I go out to eat, I skip rice, I skip potatoes, and bread. I usually will eat a protein like steak or grilled chicken with veggies or salad or sweet potato. I avoid fried food completely, and if I'm really jonesing for dessert I either order a cappuccino or I wait till I get home and have a sugar free jello or sugar free pudding. That's about it. I don't eat fast food either, and I avoid eating sandwiches for lunches.

My days look something like this:
    Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup of cheese
    Lunch - I go to Orange Theory often during my lunch break (about 3x a week) and then I have one slice of natures own double fiber bread with unsalted natural peanut butter (1 tablespoon) and one large banana

Snacks- a low fat cheese stick or almonds and a sugar free cherry jello

Dinner - this varies and depends on whether I go out or not. But usually it's protein with a side of veggies or black beans. If I eat at home it's usually broiled salmon with 2 tablespoons of lemon butter sauce baked on top and a side of French green beans and a few slices of cut up sweet potato (baked). For dessert I'll have a sugar free chocolate Popsicle or pudding or jello.

What about using other ways to mark successes? Measurements, exercise landmarks? I'm not sure what Orange Theory is, but with most exercise you can lift more, do more reps, go longer, go faster or some combination of the above. I also use heart rate.

Of course you want to be at a healthy weight. But it's also not the only measure of progress.

I'd also look into a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). I think Trendweight is the web one. I used to dread "weigh-in day." Now I weigh daily and know the few pounds up and down don't mean anything because it's normal for me.

Restaurants, especially sit down ones are notorious for adding fat for appearance and sugar and fat for taste. They usually coat most steaks coming out with a layer of butter. Says my cousin the chef who teaches at Le Cordon Bleu. If you eat out a lot, stick to salad with shrimp cocktail or tuna or tofu (grilled meats can be a land mine) and greens with cheese and dressing on the side. No croutons. Even grilled veggies are often coated in butter. :disappointed:
  • schwich13
    schwich13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Omg, seriously, this thread is killing me!!! How many different ways can all of these people NOT listen to the OP?
    Enough with all of the experts on the food weighing, good grief, how many of you read the last twelve posters who said the exact same thing and STILL felt the need to say
    it again?
    OP, do not leave your doctor's office without an answer. The weight in your face and neck could be a clue, we call it Moon Face and Buffalo Hump, and they could point to cortisol imbalances, among other things.
    Yes, I am a medical professional, and the number of self- proclaimed experts in this thread is amazing... Just wow.
    I believe you, good luck. Hang in there, there has to be an answer, because you don't sound like the idiot they are making you out to be!!!!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Did you not notice the many people who said "IF your tests don't show anything..."?

I don't believe anyone has called the OP an idiot; they're just trying to point out things that MAY be helpful based on the information she's shared... and IF her medical team find no cause for her weight gain, then her eating habits (and the difficulty logging her meals out) are quite likely culprits.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's not impossible to lose weight while eating out a lot. However, you need to have good estimating skills and not eat as if it's a special splurge meal. I lost the bulk of my weight while going out to eat 4+ times a week. Order grilled meat and fresh fruits/veggies the majority of the time, log it, and you should be fine. If you can't do that, start ordering what you normally do but eat less of it.

Exactly. I know people here are trying to be helpful, but it's not about LCHF or PCOS, it's not about a thyroid, it's not about RMR, it's about underestimating calorie intake due to eating out a lot. I'd start by eating half of what I usually eat, then bag the rest up and take it home. You said a lot of the restaurants are Latin based, so I know that one meal can easily be over 1000+ calories on its own, especially if you're eating rice and beans. That in and of itself can easily add 600+ calories to a meal.

^^^ This

I have PCOS that is currently got my body and hormones all out of whack, yet I am still losing consistantly. I am 29 years old, 5'3" and currently 244.5 lbs. I started out at 258.9 and have lost a majority of the 14 lbs the past three weeks since I started consistantly weighing and logging everything. I don't do LCHF, I didn't do anything special. I just make sure I stay under my calorie goal for the day.

As soon as I read you eat out a lot for work I instantly knew that was the culprit. There is o way to know how many calories you are eating. Even if a place has nutrition info, I can guarantee that they are not back there measuring each and every portion of chicken, rice, vegetable and using the same every time. I would suggest not eating out as much to be honest. If you have to eat out, leave some calories left over for the day as a just in case.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP: I feel you. I have been going through the same thing for years. All of my thyroid tests have come back within the normal range. I, like you, am probably eating more than I think. BUT, I am still eating much LESS than I was before and working out much MORE than ever. There should be a deficit regardless. I have been lifting 3 times a week and doing met con 2x a week and hiking a 3,000-4,000 foot mountain almost every weekend! My journal is open but I haven't really logged correctly in awhile. I needed a "head break". Enjoy my Jane's Addiction concert beer binge entry from the other day!

I am going to be vigilant with my weighing and see what happens in the next month.

TLDR: I can relate.

SAME HERE. I used to hate exercising, but then on June 11, 2015 I joined Orange Theory and even though I haven't lost weight, I feel 10X better after each workout. So I've been more active physically then I have ever been in my entire life. The problem is that I also weigh more than I ever have. :(

Between Fitbit, Myfitnesspal and my short lived run with WW app, I feel like jumping off the metaphorical cliff sometimes. But I don't want to get worse, so I won't give up.

As for everyone asking me about HOW I measure everything when I cook. I use an electric scale, and measuring devices like measuring cups and spoons etc. I even have a special measuring cup just for liquids. So please, stop asking about how I measure, I know how much I'm eating when I'm home. When I go out to eat, I skip rice, I skip potatoes, and bread. I usually will eat a protein like steak or grilled chicken with veggies or salad or sweet potato. I avoid fried food completely, and if I'm really jonesing for dessert I either order a cappuccino or I wait till I get home and have a sugar free jello or sugar free pudding. That's about it. I don't eat fast food either, and I avoid eating sandwiches for lunches.

My days look something like this:
    Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup of cheese
    Lunch - I go to Orange Theory often during my lunch break (about 3x a week) and then I have one slice of natures own double fiber bread with unsalted natural peanut butter (1 tablespoon) and one large banana

Snacks- a low fat cheese stick or almonds and a sugar free cherry jello

Dinner - this varies and depends on whether I go out or not. But usually it's protein with a side of veggies or black beans. If I eat at home it's usually broiled salmon with 2 tablespoons of lemon butter sauce baked on top and a side of French green beans and a few slices of cut up sweet potato (baked). For dessert I'll have a sugar free chocolate Popsicle or pudding or jello.

The bolded should be weighed not measured, basically everything you eat should be. Cups should not be used.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The key is your frequent business dinners and lunches. Start by eschewing the bread and salad dressing. From there avoid anything with pasta and potatoes. Dessert is not suitable for daily or weekly consumption. As an example of a truly low calorie lunch that will fit your weight loss goal, you can have a McDonalds McChicken for lunch and an OG bowl of Minestrone for dinner. If you must have an entree, leave 2/3 of it on the plate.

• Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    schwich13 wrote: »
    Omg, seriously, this thread is killing me!!! How many different ways can all of these people NOT listen to the OP?
    Enough with all of the experts on the food weighing, good grief, how many of you read the last twelve posters who said the exact same thing and STILL felt the need to say
    it again?
    OP, do not leave your doctor's office without an answer. The weight in your face and neck could be a clue, we call it Moon Face and Buffalo Hump, and they could point to cortisol imbalances, among other things.
    Yes, I am a medical professional, and the number of self- proclaimed experts in this thread is amazing... Just wow.
    I believe you, good luck. Hang in there, there has to be an answer, because you don't sound like the idiot they are making you out to be!!!!

No one is claiming to be an expert or professional here... Well except you :). Most people said IF the tests come back fine then check logging. That means that everyone is encouraging her to get testing medically first. I pointed out that I do have confirmed PCOS and am losing fine because OP mentioned possiblyhaving that. I was letting her know that it is possible to have it and still lose. I still stand by my opinion that it is restaurant food causing it. There is no way to accurately log it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been diagnosed with a medical condition (thyroid etc.) then you are lying to yourself about what you eat or how active you are. If you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    a "medical professional" covers a vast range of professions

May I ask what are your qualifications, specifically in relation to obesity, weight loss, nutrition or physical training and your personal experiences?

When one makes a call to authority, there should be a rationale for it

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been diagnosed with a medical condition (thyroid etc.) then you are lying to yourself about what you eat or how active you are. If you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

Even people with metabolic disorders are able to lose weight once they get a diagnosis and go on the right meds.
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The only way to gain weight is to over-eat. You are consuming more than you think you are. If you are not weighing and measuring every single thing it's likely you are over-eating. Period.
    A calorie deficit will create weight loss. You are not in a calorie deficit. No matter how much you work out, if you are gaining weight you are eating too much.
    It's not rocket science. Eat less calories. weigh and measure every single thing you put into your mouth. Even fast food. Stop making excuses.
    Providing your blood work comes back all good and fine and normal then you need to consider that you are not creating a calorie deficit.
    No one here can help you if you are not willing to take a serious look at what you are doing. My guess you are not logging everything...you are not weighing and measuring every thing....and you are eating more than you think.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It looks like you could brush up on weighing your food, but the biggest problem is eating out so often. That you HAVE to eat out for your job, you can usually make special requests of no butter, no oil on your meat and veggies. Just get a grilled lean meat and steamed veggies. It will still somehow have more calories and salt than if you made it at home, but at least you will have eliminated some of the calorie bombs in sauce, butter, and starches.